*** The official 2023 Mac mini thread (it has the M2 chip and everything!) ***

Man of Honour
They do work fine. My main issue is I have to zoom to 130% everytime I open a file to get to the same size as 100% on Windows. The fonts also look off on macOS, clearly designed for Windows font rendering.
I guess that depends on whatever monitor you're using, I use Excel, Outlook, Teams, and Word daily for work, and they're all set to defaults and I have no issues.

Soldato
Tempted. I want to see some reviews first and see some performance benches M2 vs M2 Pro. Assuming these should start trickling out anytime soon.

Edit: Typically, something which starts out relatively cheap with the base model has turned into a lot more expense on paper. Looking to save money where I can with the options availabile.

Seems like only the M2 Pro model has HDMI 2.1 capability. I'd want this to drive my display at 120hz @ 4K.

Next thing is RAM. I'd want to edit 4K footage, Lightroom, Photoshop and music production eventually. I frequently go over 16GB in Windows, so just assumed I'd need 32GB for an extra £360 it's an absolutely eye watering cost. But after reading this, I'm now not sure if I actually need 32GB?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been holding out since the Apple Silicon transition started for a new 27" or larger screen iMac with either M2/M2 Pro to finally upgrade my Late 2013 iMac, however I don't see it forthcoming anytime soon :(
As much as I like the simple All-in-one design of an iMac, I've got to admit the new Mac mini has peaked my interest.

If I didn't want to spend the £1499 on the 27" Studio display what would be a cheaper but comparable recommendation?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I've been holding out since the Apple Silicon transition started for a new 27" or larger screen iMac with either M2/M2 Pro to finally upgrade my Late 2013 iMac, however I don't see it forthcoming anytime soon :(
As much as I like the simple All-in-one design of an iMac, I've got to admit the new Mac mini has peaked my interest.

If I didn't want to spend the £1499 on the 27" Studio display what would be a cheaper but comparable recommendation?

You could go with an Apple refurb when they are back in stock at £1269

or the LG 27" 5K ultrafine, if you can find one. Costco seem to sell them at £949.99

Or wait for the Samsug 27" 5K, no idea on date or price.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could go with an Apple refurb when they are back in stock at £1269

or the LG 27" 5K ultrafine, if you can find one. Costco seem to sell them at £949.99

Or wait for the Samsug 27" 5K, no idea on date or price.

Thanks for the options :) I completely forgot about the Apple Refurb Store! That's actually a decent discount on the Studio Display.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks for the options :) I completely forgot about the Apple Refurb Store! That's actually a decent discount on the Studio Display.
It will be like new as an Apple refurbished so a good saving for no downsides. My preference would be the Studio Display so you can have that Apple service and warranty peace of mind. Run AppleCare on a yearly sub and you’ll be covered for as long as you pay.

Soldato
It will be like new as an Apple refurbished so a good saving for no downsides. My preference would be the Studio Display so you can have that Apple service and warranty peace of mind. Run AppleCare on a yearly sub and you’ll be covered for as long as you pay.
I've ordered off the Refurb Store before and everything was perfect. Just completely forgot about it :p
I’ve been very pleased with my Studio Displays. They were a long time coming but worth the wait.
That's great to know. The Studio Displays do look lovely, what stand did you go with Feek?

Just trying to figure out what spec I should be looking at for best performance to price. Anything M2 will be a massive performance upgrade over my i7 3.5GHz (Quad-Core) with 32GB RAM and 4GB Geforce GTX 780M.
When I bought my iMac it was pretty much top-spec and is still happily usable today 10yrs on.....especially thanks to Open-Core Legacy Patcher. I don't want to overspend on bells and whistles if they aren't needed, though a little bit of future proofing doesn't hurt.

My uses are general web, office work, little bit of Xcode work and light video editing/encoding.

What spec of Mini do you think I should be considering? I'm settled on 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM. I have a Synology NAS for file storage.

Last edited:
Associate
My base spec M1 Mini has been running as a Plex Server 24/7 (with a 4TB SSD attached via USB-C) since the day I got it back in May 2021. In that time it hasn't missed a beat and has been really reliable. I also use it for working from home as it's so power efficient and silent.

Only real issue has been the 8GB of RAM as sometimes it hasn't been enough, so placed an order for a base spec M2 with 16GB.
Am the same but went with 16gb when ordering. Its not slowed once and am working on it several hours a day with various video playing in the bg, right up to 4k. Never slows down so ill wait for the M3 or maybe even the new mac mini design if it ever comes

Soldato
Given what’s come out of the m2 pro mini, a similar spec m2 pro 12/19 with 10g nic and 32gb of ram is the same price as the M1 Max 10/24 studio… I’m sure the extra horse power would be nice in the cpu department from the mini but the GPU would at a guess still be served a little short and I’m used to the 10/32 M1 Max found in the 16”.

I think I’ll be waiting on the studio refresh with the 12/30 or 12/38 assuming it doesn’t break the bank but I can’t see that happening given the latest prices for the UK on apple product.

I was looking at the ultra but I can’t justify it’s price nor the fact it has issues still with scaling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom