Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
My experience (with 4G) is that O2 don't really have coverage issues, they have have next to no capacity in their network, so you can be chilling out with maximum signal but data runs at about 2Mbps. Almost as bad as Three, where you could have all the bars and there wasn't enough capacity to make a voice call.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Man of Honour
My experience (with 4G) is that O2 don't really have coverage issues, they have have next to no capacity in their network, so you can be chilling out with maximum signal but data runs at about 2Mbps. Almost as bad as Three, where you could have all the bars and there wasn't enough capacity to make a voice call.
Are they still no better? I was with them ~3-4 years ago and they were pretty bad then hence I moved to VF then EE.

Caporegime
Have a customer in London on a CAT 6 LTE router with O2, average signal strength, pulls about 12Mbps. Their 4G network is abysmal.

Reactions: R3X

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Have a customer in London on a CAT 6 LTE router with O2, average signal strength, pulls about 12Mbps. Their 4G network is abysmal.

To be fair I just want to be able to browse and use an app etc. I do not require fast speeds when on data so that's why the change over never bothered me.

Associate
Are they still no better? I was with them ~3-4 years ago and they were pretty bad then hence I moved to VF then EE.

Pretty much sounds like O2 in my area, not amazing but always a signal, missus prefers it because it always works in supermarkets where 3 and EE don't, I find it odd that I can have 3 at home and get 1.1Gb downloads yet sat next to me the missus gets 20Mb :D but she is happy and that is the main thing for what she does on a phone you don't need much more, though I feel £25 is a rip off for that level of performance and I'd would just put her on Smarty if it wasn't for VM bundling and pay far less for more of everything.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still on contract for my broadband only line with Virgin. Do you think there is a way I could recontract at the current offer price? Maybe add a volt added or something?
Unless your contract is coming to an end in the next month or so they have little incentive to recontract you at less than what you are paying now.

You can always try though it is extremely unlikely you will get any joy.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Anyone able to help?

We moved from Virgin M500 to Gig1. Seems as if nothing has changed! speedtests would always top out at 200mb/s and this is still the case! been on gig1 for a month now.

Hub 5 is in modem-mode wired via ethernet to a TPLink router, pc in the living room is wired via ethernet from the tplink. Samknows used to work on the hub 3! ever since hub 5 samknows refuses to work?

Caporegime
Did Virgin tell you that upgrading from M500 would fix your speed issues? When you ran the Samknows tests on the Hub 3, what was the speed reported from the service to your router on the M500 tier?

Soldato
Did Virgin tell you that upgrading from M500 would fix your speed issues? When you ran the Samknows tests on the Hub 3, what was the speed reported from the service to your router on the M500 tier?
No, virgin never said anything. M500 worked, no issues other than never getting the full speed, sam kmows would report back 511mb as the true speed, would only ever get around 300mb/s to the pc though.

I cannot get sam knows working at all with the hub 5... no idea why yet! I will put the hub 5 into router mode and try again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m due to get virgin 1gig installed on then 4th, currently have plusnet adsl but barely get 20meg. I am using tplink v600 power line and wifi extender for upstairs because with us having concrete floors upstairs the wifi is really poor. I was wondering if I bought new power line adaptor and extender that can handle 1gig would I be throttled by using the power wiring in the house? Does anyone know what data speeds the power cables can handle

Soldato
Anyone able to help?

We moved from Virgin M500 to Gig1. Seems as if nothing has changed! speedtests would always top out at 200mb/s and this is still the case! been on gig1 for a month now.

Hub 5 is in modem-mode wired via ethernet to a TPLink router, pc in the living room is wired via ethernet from the tplink. Samknows used to work on the hub 3! ever since hub 5 samknows refuses to work?
Have you checked the SH to see what speeds your synced at?

Login to the SH, click on advanced settings > network status and configuration tab

I have a 250mb service, max traffic rate seems to be 287.

Primary Downstream Service Flow​

SFID
85994​
Max Traffic Rate
287500061​
Max Traffic Burst
42600​
Min Traffic Rate
0​

My speed test results connected directly to the SH4

14261794137.png

Just another thought, Have you rebooted the SH since going to 1gb? I had a "free" upgrade from 100mb to 125mb but the changes did not take effect until I rebooted the SH for the new speeds to kick in

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like the last year we can use the contract break to get the price back down as they are baking in the increase into the contract now, like most other ISPs do already :(

Soldato
Have you checked the SH to see what speeds your synced at?

Login to the SH, click on advanced settings > network status and configuration tab

I have a 250mb service, max traffic rate seems to be 287.

Primary Downstream Service Flow​

SFID
85994​
Max Traffic Rate
287500061​
Max Traffic Burst
42600​
Min Traffic Rate
0​

My speed test results connected directly to the SH4

14261794137.png

Just another thought, Have you rebooted the SH since going to 1gb? I had a "free" upgrade from 100mb to 125mb but the changes did not take effect until I rebooted the SH for the new speeds to kick in
I will attempt to reboot, will also do some before and after checks and post what I find/see :)

Thanks for posting this btw :)

Back
Top Bottom