• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 5960X. Best CPU ever made.

Associate
I'm the proud owner of the Intel 5960X and while I keep contemplating upgrading, I still cannot find a reason at 4K other than MSFS 2020.
This CPU was from 2015 yet it still holds it's own (sort of) in 2023, Beat that!

Soldato
£1100 for 8 cores seems like madness today. So glad those days are long gone.

The only thing I miss from this era was socketed BIOS chips and Intel NIC’s.

Man of Honour
Although not able to compete with the 5960X or the latest CPUs I think the 1650 V2 and 1680 V2 Xeons would have to be my vote for best CPUs ever made - albeit the 1680 V2 was a near 2 grand CPU on release. 6/12 and 8/16 configuration, massive amounts of memory bandwidth and huge potential for memory and CPU overclocks, tons of forward thinking features - about the only thing missing really was bootable NVME support.

Sadly Intel doesn't really make anything which is truly comparable to the X79 and X99 platforms but for this generation today.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel will still happily relive people of £1500~ for 12 cores.

The W-3000 series chips, for those that are that way inclined. Far and away Intel’s best architecture.

Caporegime
I'm the proud owner of the Intel 5960X and while I keep contemplating upgrading, I still cannot find a reason at 4K other than MSFS 2020.
This CPU was from 2015 yet it still holds it's own (sort of) in 2023, Beat that!

The 5800X3D is knocking on for twice as fast and he overclocked the proverbials off the 5960X. its a blood bath.
The 5800X3D is not even the fastest chip you can get today, that honour goes the its replacement, the 7800X3D.

None of this should be a surprise, its an old CPU, i don't get these videos where people pull up some old CPU from when what was in their mind the glory days? and comment on bar charts that clearly shows it up for how bad it is and try to make it not at all completely ####!

I had an i7 930, i loved that CPU, would i spend any kind of money to own one now? £30 for the board, CPU and RAM, sure to get my nostalgia kicks and then stick it in a draw never to see the light of day ever again.

Get over it, we have never had it as good as we do today.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5800X3D is knocking on for twice as fast and he overclocked the proverbials off the 5960X. its a blood bath.
The 5800X3D is not even the fastest chip you can get today, that honour goes the its replacement, the 7800X3D.

None of this should be a surprise, its an old CPU, i don't get these videos where people pull up some old CPU from when what was in their mind the glory days? and comment on bar charts that clearly shows it up for how bad it is and try to make it not at all completely ####!

I had an i7 930, i loved that CPU, would i spend any kind of money to own one now? £30 for the board, CPU and RAM, sure to get my nostalgia kicks and then stick it in a draw never to see the light of day ever again.

Get over it, we have never had it as good as we do today.

Ain't that for dang sure.

Soldato
Heck, my QX9550 still feels OK for general web browsing etc, paired with an SSD. A couple years ago I had a 2700k and paired with a 980ti it was still a decent budget option for playing games like BF1. The 4790k was doing pretty well for a long time, certainly being competitive with the first and second generation ryzens of a certain core count. CPU’s from that’s era are still more than usable. But the reality is the performance has jumped massively from 2015 when you start looking at the numbers.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was £799 and those cores are still decent if a little long in the tooth.
40 quid from CEX now :D
Still have my X99 system working, doesn't get much use now ofc. Still okay for many games but IPC struggles heavily in others. I think the 5820K was a better chip given its much cheaper price but not sure what I would consider best ever. Maybe the 2500K or something current will have a lasting impression...

Soldato
Was just posting on another thread about finally upgrading my 5820k. It's not really letting me down, but after 7-8 years we finally have some decent value upgrades around (I went for a 7900). Pretty much twice the cores, twice the performance per core, and half the power consumption, for about the same money.

Last edited:
Associate
For me it would have to be;

Celeron 300A
(on Abit BP6 board after replacing the capacitors!)
i7 4770K (seriously underrated CPU that still can hold its own today in all but the most CPU intensive games if don't mind a bit of GPU bottlenecking with more recent GPU's)
i9 9900K (99.9% of them could do a stable 5GHz all core/5.1Ghz 1-3 cores straight out the box on a semi-decent air cooler with no voltage tweaks required, although undervolting a little would help keep temps down)

Special mentions also go to the AMD Athlon 1GHz (Palomino core from memory) & the Pentium 3 1.4GHz 'Tualatin' (a seriously under-rated CPU that a lot of people ignored due to being launched around same time as the original Pentium 4 processors, costing more yet outperformed the P4 CPU's for quite a while afterwards & what the Core2 CPU's (with some enhancements & architecture tweaks) were based around if my failing memory serves me correct)

Soldato

How much did you pay for it and what are the rest of your specs?

Back
Top Bottom