Caffeine Detox Time

Soldato
Went from about 5/6 cups a day (2 bean to cup in the morning then instant rest of the day) a few months ago to a single cup when I wake up - has made absolutely no difference to energy levels, sleep or mood whatsoever which is disappointing. I don't have caffeine from any other source either, i'm just broken I guess :D

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Went from about 5/6 cups a day (2 bean to cup in the morning then instant rest of the day) a few months ago to a single cup when I wake up - has made absolutely no difference to energy levels, sleep or mood whatsoever which is disappointing. I don't have caffeine from any other source either, i'm just broken I guess :D

You should take a few weeks off to reset your tolerance.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
The vending machine that holds the magic knock off Monster is broken this morning...might have to take up coffee drinking like an adult.
Apparently coffee has other beneficial effects for getting stuff done that aren't related to caffeine.

The study found that drinking coffee decreases connectivity in the default mode network of the brain, making individuals more prepared to switch from rest to task mode
Drinking coffee also increases connectivity in the higher visual network and the right executive control network, contributing to working memory and cognitive control.
These beneficial effects on brain connectivity were not observed with caffeine alone, indicating that the full experience of drinking coffee plays a significant role in enhancing alertness and cognitive readiness.

Associate
Apparently coffee has other beneficial effects for getting stuff done that aren't related to caffeine.
Yea, there is the whole “super food” thing with coffee. Wouldn’t touch an energy drink with a 10ft pole.

Read an article on filtered vs unfiltered coffee too. Apparently some level of filtration is better.

Man of Honour

I unintentionally kicked caffeine when I had COVID and decided to continue without it, aside from not getting a headache after ~16 hours if I don't have a source of it I don't notice any difference.

Soldato
The vending machine that holds the magic knock off Monster is broken this morning...might have to take up coffee drinking like an adult.
yep - you need the real deal to be better wired

Do I think max verstappen drinks monster/red-bull - perhaps his contract says how much he has to drink, but can have his stomach pumped afterwards.

personally changed morning break 2 double espressos for hot chocolate (sugar helps too ?) but the breakfast/lunch builders tea and evening double double and cup of instant remain.
- about a packet of coffee beans a week - hmmh 10Kg a year

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Yea, there is the whole “super food” thing with coffee. Wouldn’t touch an energy drink with a 10ft pole.

Read an article on filtered vs unfiltered coffee too. Apparently some level of filtration is better.

Coffee also has a surprising amount of fibre in it too.

I'm currently following the Andrew Huberman recommendation to delay the morning coffee by 60-90 minutes to avoid the afternoon crash. I only drink 1 cup in the morning, freshly ground pour over.

Soldato
You should take a few weeks off to reset your tolerance.
I had about a month without coffee due to a rough bout of sickness at start of May (10 days in bed) then a holiday just after that for a week (avoid caffeine on holidays for obvious reasons), only went back to drinking when I got back start of June - like I said, i'm just broken. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You may be a poor caffeine metaboliser so it doesn't have much effect on you. I know someone who can drink cups a day then stop without feeling any difference, he doesn't understand why when I stop I fee like I've got the flu.

Oh, trust me, it has an effect on me for sure, just looking back at this post from 2019 - I was the same a few months back as well.

I think I need to look at cutting down a bit, drink about 5 cups a day (can be as many as 8 sometimes) due to working in an office and folks always offering to make drinks.

Yesterday I had two cups before 12:30 and then due to meetings and workload, didn't have another cup. Went home with a splitting headache. Made a coffee when I got back and within 20 minutes of drinking it, headache was gone.

One point of note is that i've made significant other changes in my lifestyle the last few months as well, both in diet and routine so it may be the effects of reduced caffeine are being blunted by other factors.

I will say the one thing that has improved my general energy and sleep is supplementing magnesium and zinc, the latter giving some very vivid dreams bordering on lucidity :D

Soldato
If I drink any amount of coffee - even a single cup - I lie awake at night itching from head to toe.

99% sure it's the coffee as I've tried eliminating everything else, previously.

I wonder if anyone else here has had similar?

If i'm stressed/tired then i avoid coffee as it can make anxiety/stress worse. Maybe this is whats happening to you?

Associate
Coffee also has a surprising amount of fibre in it too.

I'm currently following the Andrew Huberman recommendation to delay the morning coffee by 60-90 minutes to avoid the afternoon crash. I only drink 1 cup in the morning, freshly ground pour over.
I read that too, and it makes sense since coffee isn't really giving you energy, it's suppressing the part of you that makes you tired. It's good to let your body wake-up and essentially flush the system.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Oh, trust me, it has an effect on me for sure, just looking back at this post from 2019 - I was the same a few months back as well.

One point of note is that i've made significant other changes in my lifestyle the last few months as well, both in diet and routine so it may be the effects of reduced caffeine are being blunted by other factors.

I will say the one thing that has improved my general energy and sleep is supplementing magnesium and zinc, the latter giving some very vivid dreams bordering on lucidity :D

Another thing to think about is the cut off time for caffeine. As a general rule I don't drink caffeine after 1pm, otherwise it will impact my sleep and make me need more caffeine the next day. I can still fall asleep really easily if I have have a late coffee but the quality and the deepness of the sleep is definitely worse. I almost wake up feeling hungover which makes me want to drink more coffee.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I read that too, and it makes sense since coffee isn't really giving you energy, it's suppressing the part of you that makes you tired. It's good to let your body wake-up and essentially flush the system.

It's such a powerful substance that to my mind it makes sense to be acutely aware of how you are consuming it and dialing it in. Like any substance it behaves differently for each person.

Soldato
Another thing to think about is the cut off time for caffeine. As a general rule I don't drink caffeine after 1pm, otherwise it will impact my sleep and make me need more caffeine the next day. I can still fall asleep really easily if I have have a late coffee but the quality and the deepness of the sleep is definitely worse. I almost wake up feeling hungover which makes me want to drink more coffee.
I have one around 7-8am (dependent when my 6 year old wakes up) and that's it for the day - that's mainly just to trigger my morning, erm, 'movement' :D

Although, tbh, I could just drop some coffee in hot water and the moment my nose smells it, things start moving south, it's totally psychological!

• Haha
Reactions: LiE
Associate
I had to switch to Decaff last year when i was diagnosed with Gallstones. The caffeine would set of episodes :(

The first drink they offered me when i woke up from surgery was a latte :D I honestly expected to be buzzing after so long off the stuff... honestly it made no difference.

Pre Gallstones i was drinking about 6 cups a day, now I'm down to 2 or 3.

Back
Top Bottom