• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just what is NVIDIA up to?

G J

G J

Associate
I dont know why people try to understand this at all as all Nvidia have to do at any point is lower prices and all the people the hate them will cave in, buy and forget after 5 minutes.

Associate
Do you think that they might possibly be looking to break into the mainstream cpu market? Or do you think that it'll be strictly for the machine learning stuff? with regards to the gpus aren't they making money hand over fist just focusing on the AI stuff? I'd like to be optimistic and think that maybe the next series of cards will be more competitively priced but the fact that they were still able to sell 4090's and even 4080's Seems to suggest that won't be the case..

Soldato
Do you think that they might possibly be looking to break into the mainstream cpu market? Or do you think that it'll be strictly for the machine learning stuff? with regards to the gpus aren't they making money hand over fist just focusing on the AI stuff? I'd like to be optimistic and think that maybe the next series of cards will be more competitively priced but the fact that they were still able to sell 4090's and even 4080's Seems to suggest that won't be the case..
Thought they might have been good enough for a soc battle with Apple by now. Although, windows ARM is ****, so....

Associate
Wait and see what the 7700 and 7800 come in at. They could easily win in the mid range market and that's where most people land.

7800 for <500 vs a 4070 ti for way more.

Fair comment. But they could have made real inroads into the higher their market if the 7900s were 25% cheaper.

Associate
To add, I think they would rather keep their GPU prices high and push people on to their Gforce Now cloud gaming service. They make no loss by keeping their prices high as we have seen. Players will have more manageable payments with the cloud gaming service and in the long run pay more to Nvidia.

We are looking at a lot of things (especially digital) becoming a services now and owning "stuff" ourselves is slowly going away. Putting more effort in to data centres and improving that service probably means more to them.

Associate
To add, I think they would rather keep their GPU prices high and push people on to their Gforce Now cloud gaming service. They make no loss by keeping their prices high as we have seen. Players will have more manageable payments with the cloud gaming service and in the long run pay more to Nvidia.

We are looking at a lot of things (especially digital) becoming a services now and owning "stuff" ourselves is slowly going away. Putting more effort in to data centres and improving that service probably means more to them.

Great comment and theory and quite possibly true. More predictable revenue and probably lower costs.

Doesn't help people with slow internet connections though...

Soldato
The most hilarious part is AMD not seizing their last opportunity before they get wiped out the GPU market.

Nvidia will not mess up this hard again.

Soldato
The most hilarious part is AMD not seizing their last opportunity before they get wiped out the GPU market.

Nvidia will not mess up this hard again.

You must be new to this, AMD and nvidia have been trading blows for decades. Us mere mortals think in the short term, the likes of AMD/nVidia and Intel for that matter think 5-10-15 years ahead.

Soldato
Its performance in older games is what killed it for me.

The performance in older games is fine. Intel have spent a lot of effort in updating their drivers. But the A770 and A750 are now overpriced - the A770 hugely so. £149 for the A750 and £249 for the A770 seem reasonable prices to me right now.

Soldato
You must be new to this, AMD and nvidia have been trading blows for decades. Us mere mortals think in the short term, the likes of AMD/nVidia and Intel for that matter think 5-10-15 years ahead.
I'm far from new AMD/ATIs marketshare has never been this low in history.

Soldato
I'm still baffled by the way NVIDIA is behaving. With the disastrous launch of the 4080, the un-launch of the 4080 12GB, you would think they would learn their lesson, but subsequent products clearly says not. This is the worst series, by far.

So what on earth are they up to? Surely this can't be a blunder. One bad card is a blunder, a whole range is a plan?

Are they deliberately destroying the upgrade market because they think it has no future, so they expect us only to buy new cards with a new PC? Or is this a huge blunder that they are going to correct with the 5000 series?

Did they really hope that DLSS 3 would sell poor quality cards? Are they using low amounts of RAM as inbuilt redundancy? What do you think?

Like I said at the start, I am still baffled, so I am interested to hear what people think.
With the whole world and it's dog wetting itself over AI priority is given A100 cards as they have higher margins then consumer products. Gaming is secondary at this point (but still important in terms of top line numbers).

Associate
I'd take those rumours with a grain of salt. To be double the performance, you are looking at a 3090 equivalent GPU that would need to use about half the power and cost about 1/3 of the 4070 Ti.
In the timeframe being considered, 3nm and RDNA 3.5 may just do the job. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom