Mortgage Rate Rises

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
People can always grow their own food and what not. But then they won’t and pay for convenience of not doing that. But then moan when said companies make profit …

Have your tried this? We tried it with many vegetables and it was cheaper to buy most the stuff. Then you got all that time and effort. Lol.

Last edited:
Was going to say potatoes. But they are also incredibly cheap in super markets.

I have my own hens but had to buy a box in supermarket. I was shocked. I couldn't believe price of 6 organic/best welfare eggs!

I haven't bought eggs in 3 years and was just blown away.

If you have space for hens.. Get hens!

True
I will get hens on my allotment once I retire.
I dont make it upi there every day and you need to on ours if you keep any wildstock.
(Only allowed to keep chickens and rabbits, nothing exotic), oh and bees. tempted by bees also.

Associate
But unless wages keep up with house prices (and therefore what you need to borrow to get one), you cannot raise interest rates much without financially destroying most people.

House prices have gone silly, but then causing a housing crash will also trash the economy as well.

The mismanagement of the economy has pretty much cornered us.

We have already surpassed the 1980/1990 peaks in terms of relative affordability. The bank has no more room to act without crashing everything, and their ability to use interest rates becomes less and less workable as house prices continue to grow.
It's not just about house prices. If you don't increase rates then the currency will lose value increasing the cost of everything. People need energy, cars, food etc etc.

I completely get that it's a shock for people with mortgages going from a low fix to current rates and potentially even higher in the future. The house market is unlikely to crash significantly but will probably stay stagnant for a few years whilst inflation eats away at the size of the debt and rising wages bring affordability back in line with historic norms.

As it stands most homes are owned outright anyway. The government will probably have to build some social housing over the next few years to help young people and create some social mobility. Availability is a problem in the rental market.

What we can't do is keep rates low to sustain the few that have large mortgage debt at the expense of making everything else more expensive. This isn't just a UK problem as low interest rates have caused housing price growth everywhere. We are probably in a better place to weather the storm as so much of our property is owned outright. Economies which have more housing debt are in a worse position.

Caporegime
True
I will get hens on my allotment once I retire.
I dont make it upi there every day and you need to on ours if you keep any wildstock.
(Only allowed to keep chickens and rabbits, nothing exotic), oh and bees. tempted by bees also.

Yeah I have mine in the garden so it's OK.
I just have 2 but 3 hens give about 2 eggs a day. You can have a cheap healthy lunch every single day like that

Have your tried this? We tried it with many vegetables and it was cheaper to buy most the stuff. The you got all that time and effort. Lol.

If small scale you need to be very careful on what and how you do it.

I mean many things you can harvest seeds from what you bought anyway, chilis tomatoes etc
You will need peat really, you can use earth but peat will be better. Whilst thats expensive many councils have free peat days where you are allowed so much for free.
Pots use stuff you would recycle, 2 litre bottles, cut the top off etc

Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Exactly… but we won’t let someone make money offering such service here apparently.

They can make money, just not as much...

Isn't that what the BoE is telling us plebs to do? We are literally being told not to make more money (from a man who earns more money a year than you could possibly need).

Last edited:
Soldato
People don't want to hear this but the only way to beat inflation is to get a better paid job or if you are running your own business then you have to pay yourself more.

That's life, complaining about the rich, Government, taxes, BOE or hoping it will get better isn't a strategy for improve your income.

Last edited:
Caporegime
People don't want hear this but the only way to beat inflation is to get a better paid job or if you are running your own business then you have to pay yourself more.

Clearly a load of rubbish. If everyone could do this, then isnt that doing exactly what they are telling us not to do (earn more money)?

Caporegime
People don't want to hear this but the only way to beat inflation is to get a better paid job or if you are running your own business then you have to pay yourself more.

That's life, complaining about the rich, Government, taxes, BOE or hoping it will get better isn't a strategy for improve your income.

We have low paid workers who have essential jobs that need to be done. The answer can not be to leave them behind

Soldato

When I see this argument....

For the 1000th time: it is not possible for EVERYONE to get a better paid job, it just moves goalposts. A functioning economy allows those at the bottom rung to still survive without that aid of government/tax payer handouts. That isn't the case currently, therefore the economy is broken. The pay structure of this country needs to be fixed, and if had been fixed we may been doing better with this uptick in inflation.

Edit: actually to be fair, yes, this is the only way to beat it on an individual level, but it doesn't fix the problem for the country and it's inflation vs pay issue.

Last edited:
But according to the BoE, that would drive up inflation :confused:

Not necessarily.
Depends on the job, who did it before and what they were paid.
If I retire and someone takes my job on less money than I earned (which is pretty normal) then the costs to my company go down and its got some (massively minor) deflationary impact over the long term.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Exactly… but we won’t let someone make money offering such service here apparently.

Lucky for me most the stuff that went up in price are things I should not be sticking in my body anyway.

They did me favour tbh. I look the prices of some of this stuff which have gone up 25-50% and chuckle as I move on.

I even cut down on my tesco sweet popcorn which used to be £1 a pack and now is £1.25! 25%!! Plus I think quantity may be less too.

Back
Top Bottom