do you guys deliberately not take your car to some places?

Soldato
I forgot how stressful it is having a car you care about.
we are currently away for a few days in Blackpool. our car is parked in an unsecured public carpark down some side streets.
am half expecting something to happen to it. the Mrs is suggesting we should have come in our 13 year old old diesel but what is the point in having a car if you ain't gonna drive it ?.

just wondering if I am alone in worrying about scallies breaking into or vandalising Thier motor when in a slightly dodgy area.

Caporegime
I forgot how stressful it is having a car you care about.
we are currently away for a few days in Blackpool. our car is parked in an unsecured public carpark down some side streets.
am half expecting something to happen to it. the Mrs is suggesting we should have come in our 13 year old old diesel but what is the point in having a car if you ain't gonna drive it ?.

just wondering if I am alone in worrying about scallies breaking into or vandalising Thier motor when in a slightly dodgy area.

That's the best thing a having a ghetto car.

Mine is full of sand from beach, dog hair and even has some moss around the windscreen.

I'd hate to have worries about going to the beach or driving through a muddy field camping because my car was fancy

Associate
As a family we have a bmw 2 series gran tourer, that the wife, kids & dog use, that is an utter cess pit and the wife scratches, bumps, chips & generally does her best to wreck & I have an alfa giulia quad, thats nice, clean and cared for.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I was born in Lytham St.Annes and know Blackpool very well. Out of season I'd be more worried about myself than the car, especially Central area. Debatably the drug and nutter capital of the north.

I gave up on nice road cars years ago, having saved for them studiously, or painstakingly restored something, then anguished about vandalism or damage if used normally.

The cars I drive on the road these days are the sort that engender pity, not envy, and life is much less stressful as a result.

But Blackpool though, shudder, good luck! (The Hampton hotel's OK though if you don't mind modern architecture and interiors). And Wrea Green behind Lytham is an unspoilt village with a nice pub.

Soldato
One of the reasons I've had mine over 4 years and haven't changed it or got any of the minor scratches and dents repaired. It's kind of liberating to not have to worry about it.

I also have a dog and two kids so it does get messy and abused although I try to keep it clean in the summer, in the winter I don't bother as much.

I want an auto but I can't bring myself to spend £20k plus to replace a perfectly reliable car that I'll obsess over, just don't need that additional stress right now

Soldato
10 year old Volvo.

It's actually in pretty good condition, one small dent in the side where someone door dinged it no doubt, so I'm not quite at the stage where I completely don't care, yet.

But major mechanical failures aside I plan to keep it until the inevitable rust gets it.

If I have to strap it up with duct tape and ratlle can spray patches then so be it.

Soldato
No, if i ever thought that i'd have bought the wrong car. A car is a tool for a job for me be it just a means to get me somewhere or something to go fast in and do track days but i don't 'care' about it in any way.

I've never had a posh car but i've had somewhat desirable cars like JDM integra and Impreza's but i've left them parked wherever and never given it a second though, that's what insurance is for if it was to get nicked. I personally don't care at all about scratches or dents so maybe if you're one of those people it might be different? I just couldn't fathom being bothered if my car had a scuff in the paint somewhere or a dent, it doesn't effect the performance or functionality of the car at all unless it was going to cause rust.

Man of Honour
I'm genuinely not bothered about an expensive car now, for this reason. I've had too many cars damaged over the years to bother with it. One of the most enjoyable cars I had was a free old Peugeot 306which was quite a beater car. I loved being able to leave it anywhere without worry.

Soldato
These days a car is just a car to me. Scratches no problem but if touch up paint so it doesn't rust and don't worry about it.
I do not miss having a cherished cat at all so much less stress. My Mondeo already has a few scratches a couple of keyed doors from the first year I had it, I just filled them in and carried on.
Cars these days I'm not fussed about it being especially fast, fast enough is good enough.
Couldn't care less what other people think about my car, don't care if it's shiny anymore just reasonably clean. It gets maintained well though.

Last edited:
Soldato
My last few cars have been expensive and I lease a I-Pace but ultimately I am not a fussy car must be immaculate person. I keep the inside clutter free and reasonably clean but they get washed once every 6 months or so at best.

So my next car will be a cheaper runabout as I do a lot less miles as I work from home. I sometimes have to drive a cheap 2017 iX20 and it is a mostly terrible car, but so liberating not worrying about it getting a tiny scratch or dent.

Soldato
10 year old Volvo.

It's actually in pretty good condition, one small dent in the side where someone door dinged it no doubt, so I'm not quite at the stage where I completely don't care, yet.

But major mechanical failures aside I plan to keep it until the inevitable rust gets it.

If I have to strap it up with duct tape and ratlle can spray patches then so be it.

I have a 13 year old Volvo with 90K miles and the underside looks bloody good for its age. So you might be in for a long wait :p

Soldato
One of the reasons I've had mine over 4 years and haven't changed it or got any of the minor scratches and dents repaired
yes - it's a semi-conscious strategy some war wounds from previous keying , dent, plus not kept too clean,
well not not to the levels of RR/jlr users with number plate obscured.

for bicycle frames you can buy decals and paint to intentionally make them look worn and less appealing - the new shadow edition - few bits of rust on mine are real though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Our car is just over three years old now, and so far unmarked, but although I do get annoyed with parking dents etc I'm not overly precious. I can't remember the last time I washed it.
One car was vandalised badly a few years ago (some little scrote scratched their 'tags' on the bonnet, which was quite expensive to sort)
We're potentially looking at new cars now, the main thing I would look to avoid is some of the flashy paintjobs, best to have something that blends in to the herd a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies . I do agree a car is to be driven which is why we came in it. I try to look after all my stuff and scrapes and dings do wind me up (I clipped a wall in my old 2012 qashqai and even that cheesed me off - if that is what I am judged on as being a fun person so be it!)

my parents car got broken into in a carpark for a few quid in lose change and a packet of sweets so I guess I am overly thinking about it. (combined with the recent insurance hikes meaning I really don't want a claim)

Back
Top Bottom