Heated clothes driers

Soldato
Please can people share their experience and recommendations on a good one? I'm talking about this type of thing:

My partner doesn't like tumble drying stuff and complains bitterly in winter about how long it takes clothes to dry outside on the washing line.

What better Christmas gift can a spouse get than something to help with the domestic chores? :)

Plus, she puts out 2 clothes airers in the garage and I'm constantly having to potter around them. I'd much rather devote some precious garage floor space to one of these things and be done with it.

Thanks.

Soldato
I only have an issue with how little you can fit on them. By the time it comes for me to wash I have far too much to fit onto one of those heated driers.

I usually just put my cloths onto an ikea frost drying rack (you can fit a lot on it), placed in front of a radiator with a spare bed sheet draped over the top and behind the radiator to trap some heat inside. Won't full dry on the first day but leave it overnight and usually "cubboard dry". Stick a dehumidifier under and it speeds up the process.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been tempted by one. However, it only deals with half the problem. All you'll end up doing is moving the moisture from the wet cloths, onto your windows and walls.

I could only imagine using one of these in combination with a dehumidifier, or in a room with an open window.

Associate
I brought one of these a few years ago, thou the type which looks like a standard clothes horse, with cover. and it just didn't really work, it just dried where the clothes were touching!

we now have a dedicated laundry room which is a little over 2x 2.5m and we have been constantly having clothes out for ages drying after a wash - up to 5 days, and we were getting mold in the room on the walls / skirting board, note this room has a overside rad as well

Last weekend, we brought a small dehumidifier from homebase for £95 (black Friday deal), wasn't sure on what results we would get, but in what 6 days we have washed and dried 4 loads, including a quilt cover. from the device we started at 75% humidity in there, to an avg of 42% with the washing out. its a total game changer. no longer are we going to have piles of washing, we cant wash, cause we cant dry!

Soldato
We bought one from JL a while back and in combination with a dehumidifier it worked ok, if you were in no rush.
We've now got a heat pump tumble dryer though so not used it for a while.

Associate
I have read lots of reports that they are not worth the money, we too have a heat pump tumble dryer, highly recommended but costly outlay to begin with

Caporegime
I have these modern wonders in my house, metal plates attached to the wall through which hot water can flow through.

I dried some jeans in 3 hours the other day using a radiator on 3 out of 5 and a small usb fan blowing at them

Last edited:
Suspended
I have these modern wonders in my house, metal plates attached to the wall through which hot water can flow through.

I dried some jeans in 3 hours the other day using a radiator on 3 out of 5 and a small usb fan blowing at them

Moisture causes condensation. Vastly increased while drying cloths on rads!

Dehumidifier is the best solution..

Caporegime
Moisture causes condensation. Vastly increased while drying cloths on rads!
you can just open a vent on a window I find.
drying anything inside is going to cause moisture

I've never had mould here, my place can be a tiny bit drafty though

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've been looking into dehumidifiers (not the chemical ones), and it's my understanding that it uses a cool plate to extract the water out of warm moisture laden air.

I was thing of buying one of these indoor gardeners grow tents:

And a dehumidifier:

If I set this up in the garage, which is very dry but unheated, place the dehumidifier in there with an airer full of clothes, will it dry clothes fairly quickly?

I also have a small oil filled radiator that I could place in there too if required.

Any thoughts welcome.

Associate
In a cold garage, you'll want a dessicant dehumidifer. This will also warm the air.

What's the grow tent for?

Contain the heat/effectively turns it into a make shift slower heatpump drier (minus the external to internal heat transfer). I personally don't think its worth it, better to dry them in a spare room or somewhere in the house where its just warmer and put the dehumidifier in that room. Theres the added bonus that particularly now that its so cold you may want to humidify air. My house is currently sat at 40%, which is a tad low for my liking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom