Golf Thread

Soldato
First round in 12mths and after 3 lessons in with my coach. Shot 101.

Same course 12mths ago, 135! So definitely some improvement but felt like everything I've been doing at the range in my lessons deserted me. I don't know what happened. Really frustrating.

A lot to work on.

Good going mate. Keep at it. It’s hard when muscle memory kicks in and can revert a few things..

Soldato
First round in 12mths and after 3 lessons in with my coach. Shot 101.

Same course 12mths ago, 135! So definitely some improvement but felt like everything I've been doing at the range in my lessons deserted me. I don't know what happened. Really frustrating.

A lot to work on.
to knock 34 shots off is indeed progress. brilliant stuff

Associate
First proper comp of 2024 today.
F9: +6
B9: +11

Disaster B9 with 4 doubles. 1st came on the 10th with a lost ball in the fairway, must have plugged somewhere, never to be seen again. Not much else went right after that!

Soldato
Good going mate. Keep at it. It’s hard when muscle memory kicks in and can revert a few things..
Cheers mate. Yeah definitely a bit of that in there. Also going from the perfect lies of a mat to real life grass!

I definitely need to start utilising the practice rounds you can do at a range to get used to playing an actual hole. Not just hitting each club as far as possible in a straight line.

Of course nothing beats getting out there and walking the fairways though, so definitely need to more of that!

to knock 34 shots off is indeed progress. brilliant stuff
Cheers mate!

Soldato
Hit my lowest ever this week. 94. Previous best was a 98. I still generally come away thinking I can do so much better and that it was meh.

I've massively improved my 3 putts. I mostly 2 putt all the way around save for a few holes.
Chipping was mixed. My approach shots and chipping generally didn't get me as close, but, I was focusing on conservative play and trying to just get on the green.

One thing I must pat myself on the back for is the willingness to move on after a bad drive or tee shot. My mental game was good. Snap hook into the woods off the tee? Oh well. Try again. Slice it 2 holes sideways with a group of old boys watching. No problem. I'll find that or drop. I made an 8 and a 7 which were my worst holes, but throughout it I didn't let it become a disaster and played on to get 94, rather than write the round off.

The aim to break 90 in 2024 may come early lads.

Associate
I've decided this is the year I try to play golf on a regular basis. I've only played very sporadically over the last few years or so, for example I played just two rounds of golf in 2023!

I've loaded a toptracer range loyalty card up with £100 to get some practice in, with a view to start playing regular rounds of golf from March onwards.

Soldato
Howling wind this morning so down to local Trackman sim place with a coffee and a mate for a couple of hours indoors.... Good fun this time of year.

They have a long drive comp going for January... 5 balls in 3 minutes - properly setup on trackman like a real "long drive comp"

Managed to get it out to 311.5 to be sitting 3rd out of 29 people so far. Happy with that for a middle aged golfer!! Longest is 335 yards from a 19 year old! haha

Last edited:
Soldato
Weather was really nice down here, seemed quite busy so I suspect there's a bunch of people who haven't played in 6 months venturing back out, especially slow when they're a 4-ball in buggies and it's paths only. These part-timers clogging up my golf course! :p

All I have to say about the actual golf is that the golf gods giveth and then they taketh away, one to forget :( :cry:

Soldato
I bought a new wood set on 3rd January (Driver, 3 Wood and Hybrid) in the sale and all has been going well until this happened today:

IMG-1022.jpg

It's on its way back to cobra for either a replacement if they have on or maybe an upgrade we shall see. The annoying part is it's a 3 week lead time. Luckily I haven't got rid of my old hybrid yet so for the time being that's back in the bag.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a new wood set on 3rd January (Driver, 3 Wood and Hybrid) in the sale and all has been going well until this happened today:

IMG-1022.jpg

It's on its way back to cobra for either a replacement if they have on or maybe an upgrade we shall see. The annoying part is it's a 3 week lead time. Luckily I haven't got rid of my old hybrid yet so for the time being that's back in the bag.

@magicroundabout - Another Cobra broken club - looks awfully similar to yours.....

Associate

IMG-1022.jpg

That's not good, it's a funny place to crack. They normally go on the face.

Soldato
That's not good, it's a funny place to crack. They normally go on the face.
It's probably not been hit 20 times yet, the shot that cracked it was a normal shot too roughly out of the middle but sounder weird and pulled massively. At least I have a one time excuse for a hook!

@magicroundabout - it does look like we have had exactly the same issue, mines a 3 hybrid but looks very similar.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had Radspeed stuff before and the heads were all great, the two driver shafts on the other hand that snapped were not admittedly not Cobra products though.

Last edited:
Soldato

IMG-1022.jpg

which model is that?
Cobra UK have been a nightmare for me

Back
Top Bottom