Windows Update KB5034441 install error

Associate
Since Tuesday, windows update KB5034441 has been lingering like a bad smell and refusing to install on my W10 system.

There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070643)

Anyone else here have this issue? It appears to be widespread and the only solutions involve resizing partitions or ignoring it and hope MS fixes it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, same problem here. I made multiple attempts at installing and ended up breaking my Windows install - no programs would run, no internet, etc. I eventually got into recovery mode and took my install back prior to the breakage and all is good again. I'm just going to wait until Microsoft comes up with a user friendly solution.

Soldato
Maybe disable Windows update until its resolved as then it should stop it trying to reinstall itself all the time.

Soldato
When you try to apply this update on a PC that has no recovery partition, the update is unsuccessful and you receive the error 0x80070643 ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE.

You do not need this update if the PC does not have a recovery partition. In this case, the error can be safely ignored.

We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Man of Honour
Saw a comment on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwcHx-_Susg

ItsMeFreemanCooper said:
And yet, when the news came out that people were having problems with kb5034441, Microsoft & LOTS of technology bloggers were saying to simply go through & re-size the recovery partition, assuming that everyone knows how to do it, or automatically believing that it was safe.

But, I think everyone kinda figures that whatever idiot at Microsoft that did this won't face any consequences, and neither will Microsoft itself.

I'm beginning to think with the clown show working on Windows development we are increasingly only 1 step away from something really catastrophic being released to users, at least that might actually force some changes maybe :s

Last edited:
Soldato
You just need to recreate and resize the Win RE partition +250 megs to sort this, it can all be done within diskpart.

Had a bunch of work devices with this issue and that's the fix - I don't have my notes to hand, but someone is bound to have documented it by now.

Soldato
They've been dropping bugged updates for years, nothing new, it's just this one needs a bit more work to sort; unless a fix is on the horizon.... people can always wait.

But yeah, we're all unpaid beta testers for Microsoft nowadays :D

Man of Honour
They've been dropping bugged updates for years, nothing new, it's just this one needs a bit more work to sort; unless a fix is on the horizon.... people can always wait.

But yeah, we're all unpaid beta testers for Microsoft nowadays :D

Yeah but the quality of updates has declined a lot in the last couple of years which is concerning given their approach to updates and policy...

IMO only a matter of time until they massively screw something up.

Associate
Are they supposed to be releasing a fixed update or just expect everyone to resize the partition? It’s not clear on their blog post

Soldato
Oh god I thought it was just me! Its been driving me nuts for days. Can not get rid of the blasted update error and it will not stop/go away. Theres a thread on MS here, now closed :rolleyes:

Theres a list of instructions here that are supposed to fix it

Theres also a YT vid that basically talks you through exactly the same thing:

The trouble I have is I can get through all the steps they give until the last one: reagentc /enable which then fails with the error:

REAGENTC.EXE: The Windows RE image was not found.
And thats as far as I get. I'm stumped. Bloody MS.

Back
Top Bottom