Working for free today?

Soldato
Hi

Anyone actually getting paid to work today?

I’m salaried so like the other millions of people in world, I’m contracted to work a certain number of hours on certain days for every week of the month.. with this month having one extra day it means that I’m working that extra today for free.

In the past, a company that I worked for did adjust the salary for the extra day.. and if I was paid per hour or per day, it would mean that I would be getting paid extra for the day/hours.

Enjoy your day of giving free labour.. :)

Soldato
I have a job interview Monday for the apprentice master at a very large national service company, they asked me to provide a skeleton layout of a 4 year training plan for both electrical (lv and hv) & instrumentation (lv, hydraulic and pneumatic).

So yep I’m working for free today but I feel so much better than the last job

Man of Honour
I was supposed to be working today so someone could cover me Monday/Tuesday when I was off-site training. Then I ended up swapping shifts with someone working last Thursday instead. Unconnected to being a leap year I'm actually being paid extra, kind of, this week to use up the remains of my 23/24 holiday allowance instead of having it as holiday.

Soldato
You guys are all doing it wrong, I get paid for a day that doesn't even exist for 3 out of every 4 years! :p
download.jpg

Soldato
He’s humorously suggesting that he’s ‘overpaid a free day’ on all years that aren’t leap years (i.e. salary is based on 366 days), which is the opposite of what is suggested in the OP but obviously to nil effect.

Yes :p

More serious response- I'd be surprised if anyone's (salaried) contract states a specific number of days/year that they should be working, so the point is moot. Looking at it logically, since every year is ~365.25 days, (unsurprisingly, every 4th year isn't actually a day longer) your salary is for those ~365.25 days, but obviously for logistical reasons, that would be awkward...

xVZ4vWj.png

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Hi

Anyone actually getting paid to work today?

I’m salaried so like the other millions of people in world, I’m contracted to work a certain number of hours on certain days for every week of the month.. with this month having one extra day it means that I’m working that extra today for free.

In the past, a company that I worked for did adjust the salary for the extra day.. and if I was paid per hour or per day, it would mean that I would be getting paid extra for the day/hours.

Enjoy your day of giving free labour.. :)

On the contrary, the company is paying you for working 1/2 days less, rather than 2/3 days less as usual given the monthly amount is the same each month, but all the other months have 30/31 days ;)

Last edited:
Associate
How many people actually stick to the 9-5 (or equivalent) anyway? I'd say almost every day has at least some 'free' minutes that add up to way more than just today

Back
Top Bottom