Golf Thread

Associate
^ thanks.

After measuring the Micra was the only one, besides the fold flats, that would fit in my boot without putting the seat down. I have to put one side down to fit the golf bag in and didn't want to have both down if I could avoid it to stop stuff rolling around. Just placed an order and bought a few other pieces to go along with it :) Hopefully get it before next weekend.

Soldato
well..after my net session yesterday (plus no drop-outs not the ST+) im gonna go back to my pro and get things ironed out..also gonna enquire about the launch angle, im sure im losing distance withy current bats.

Might even give a custom fit ago (depending on price! :cry:) as I dunno? I feel at AG I wasn't getting the best fit for me? why I think that? no idea!

Will ask Ronnie once I book a lesson, gonna start with an hour session!

Soldato
Played at Stockwood Vale GC today, it was the place where I first played a round of golf but it's not the usual so today was only the 4th time I've played it, basically averaging twice a year.

It's a nice course, kinda feels like we should play it more :p But also I really struggle to score there, arguably I've not been playing my best recently so that didn't help but it's got some daunting looking holes, especially early on, that are actually pretty easy really but just look daunting from the tee box.

Also some hills! When we booked it wasn't clear if buggies would be allowed (no continuous path so buggies are either on or their not) and ended up with the rain at the end of last week that there were no buggies. I decided to carry (and took a few clubs out the bag) because of the hills, feels better carrying up hills than pushing a trolley ahead of you imo. There were points I was very much out of breath :p

As per the recent rounds really, some stunning shots, but shockingly inconsistent so terrible scoring. Effectively 5 caps/pickups overall :/

Gonna have to try and get out there again sooner/more often cause it is nice to play, and not too pricey, today was £30.25 each and buggies would've been £19 (per buggy) if they'd been on which is decent.

Soldato
going rates seem similar..my local club is £15 for 30 half hour..which is decent, but I hate to be critical about the pro, but he doesn't "teach" and more "preach" :(

but the pro at a club about 15-20 minutes away is great. he is £32 for half hour and £60 for the hour.. nicest guy you will ever meet too, he really is.

Soldato
Anyone got a Rapsodo mlm 2 pro? Any issues?

I had a MLM2 Pro, and apart from the far of lining up the unit and the ball dots, it gives similar numbers to my ST+ which is a bit more in cost.

have a look at https://rapsodoballdots.com/ if you do get one, as the Callaway / Titleist ones are soo expensive, and the ball dots take a bit of patience to apply but are just as accurate IMO.

Associate
Never had a 30 minute lesson, only 60 and that feels fast can only imagine the same in 30. Surely you can’t benefit that much and make changes in that sort of time

Depends. I think if the teacher is good enough they can identify an issue within 5-10 shots and give you some pointers, offer up a 'feel' and see a correction.

I know it's quite a contentious issue with some coaches though. My short game teacher thinks anything less then 45 minutes is a complete waste of time given that it can take some golfers up to 30 balls/half an hour to really get into there 'natural' swing. My long game teacher on the other hand thinks that your first shot is pretty representative of the whole ie. if you're hellishly out to in on your first swing, there's no way you're feeling your way out of that regardless of how many balls you warm up with.

Suppose it depends on your skill level. A true beginner or even middling amateur might have a glaring issue that's obvious straight away. If you're closer to scratch then there could be something quite specific that only rears it's head once every so often that needs addressing.

I certainly prefer a longer lesson though, even if there's an issue that's addressed early on. Most teachers have given me a good feel within 15 minutes but proceed to talk my ear off about twaddle for the rest of the lesson. needless to say I didn't stay with those guys. The BEST coaches will give you a decent time to warm up, analyze your swing over time and have you hit balls for the remainder of the lesson and step in to verify good technique and feels. My short game teacher is excellent for this. Golf is all about boring repetition, after all.

For reference, I pay £65 an hour with my long game coach once a month and £85 for 1.5 hours with my short game teacher once a fortnight.

going rates seem similar..my local club is £15 for 30 half hour..which is decent, but I hate to be critical about the pro, but he doesn't "teach" and more "preach" :(

As mentioned above, I've had plenty of these. Guys that regularly battered everyone in the club comps but weren't good enough to get on tour who think they're gods gift.

Couldn't care what you did or didn't do in your playing career pal, just tell me what I'm doing wrong on what I should be doing to fix it.

£40 for 45 minutes - trackman data sent after and pictures/things to work on sent via whatapp

Stuff like that is SO important post lesson I think. Most teachers could probably have you leaving the lesson thinking you're ready for the tour, but what happens when they're NOT there is more important. Data, data, data. You need repeat visual cues and reinforcement when you practice on your own. It's too easy to slip back into bad habits and you might as well just burn money set aside for lessons at that point.

Last edited:
Soldato
well..back from my lesson today, great insight to what im doing wrong. Two "main" things basically..

Rather than going straight back and up, im coming round on the shot, and then on the downswing my not pulling and turning "left" or the sensation there-of..

So I have been giving some drills and guidance on what to practice.

I love his honesty too, I mentioned about the clubs against ST+ and if he would recommend a "new" for for perhaps some new Dynapwr Forged or something..and, nope, loved my setup checked through the woods, irons, wedges, on shafts etc..the only thing he changed then and there was the loft of the 3 wood. Was a bit strong and would therefore be much more difficult to execute with..

But I probably will never get to work on it, the weather here is horrendous, I even had a e-mail from my club, saying the course is closed from today and the weekend!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom