Fears Sadiq Khan will bring in pay-per-mile road taxes after spending £3m on project

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I think this maybe the final push for me.

Except it is, in fact, a load of bull.

I want to be crystal clear. A pay-per-mile scheme is not on the table and not on my agenda.

It is no secret that the government, TfL and transport officials around the country have been looking at the pay-per-mile concept for some time. When Boris Johnson was the Mayor of London, his Transport Strategy referenced a pay-per-mile scheme. TfL has been looking at new road charging options for the best part of two decades and it is completely normal for officers to plan for different scenarios including future mayoralties and government policies. Indeed, when Rishi Sunak was Chancellor [of the Exchequer], he asked his Treasury officials to look into a national road pricing scheme, not least because the government is worried about the lower fuel duty revenues as they pursue a policy of no new petrol or diesel cars by 2030.

We have been looking at pay-per-mile, as indeed the previous Mayor did, as indeed the government is, as indeed are transport authorities around the country and it is for the reasons I have said ostensibly. Fuel duty is going to dry up very soon. Fuel sales are going to try up and road tax and so forth because of government policies. All these people - TfL, transport officials, the government - are looking at other ways to raise revenues.

However, I am quite clear, Assembly Member Best, in relation to the policies I have - ULEZ expansion to all of London, electrifying our buses and so forth - that we are not going there. It [pay-per-mile charging] is not on the table. It is not on the radar. But TfL will often do stuff that is rejected by the current Mayor and future mayors.

I often ask TfL to do stuff that I reject. I have asked TfL to look into a boundary charge, which I rejected. I have asked TfL to look into a carbon charge for every time somebody drives a car, which I have rejected. TfL has been looking for some time at driverless cars, which are not coming to a road near you anytime soon. The TfL business plan for the first four years I was Mayor said fares would increase by the retail price index (RPI) plus 1%, but I froze fares. As long as I am Mayor, we are not going to have pay-per-mile. What is important is to reassure Londoners - because they need the reassurance because we have the biggest clean air zone now in the world - that those goalposts are not going to be moved.

Soldato
What, the Torygraph having an unfounded story about a leftie? Never.

They have a particular beef with Khan, what with him wanting to reduce pollution deaths in the capital and limiting gas guzzling polluting vehicles from driving where and whenever they want, terrible man. Him being a muslim as well he's clearly in league with Hamas.

Caporegime
To me, it does make more sense to charge by the mile (taking into consideration what the car's emissions are), rather than blanket tailpipe emissions rates...

Though I understand that's effectively already happening with taxes on fuel.

That's the thing. You can just add it onto fuel.
Its perfect. It taxes the heaviest, most inefficient and used the most vehicles.

Soldato
Its perfect. It taxes the heaviest, most inefficient and used the most vehicles.

It taxes fuel burning vehicles. That is a long way from perfect if electric vehicles are our future.

Electric has to be taxed just as hard as combustion vehicles or we get a black hole in the finances.

Soldato
That's entirely the problem. Soon most cars won't be using fuel. At least not a fuel that can be distinguished from home electricity consumption.

Man of Honour
Yep this has been suspected for a while. I think someone even found some TFL job adverts mentioned working on road charging.

When asked, Khan denied there were any plans to bring it in. So it's definitely coming.

OA1kCD9.png

Soldato
It taxes fuel burning vehicles. That is a long way from perfect if electric vehicles are our future.

Electric has to be taxed just as hard as combustion vehicles or we get a black hole in the finances.

The current insane levels of taxation faced by motorists were justified on the basis that it would punish pollution and encourage the use of greener technologies. To then continue extracting the same level of revenue from motorists after they have switched to greener vehicles is entirely unfair.

Yes there will be a hole in the countries finances but that’s because motorists have been demonised and used as a cash cow for years. They need to find another source of income instead of expecting motorists to continue to fund the country.

Back
Top Bottom