Sold Car Issues

Soldato
Hi guys,

I sold a car on ebay and wrote in the description of the issues I was aware. He then haggled me down and stated he would buy the car as spare or repairs and take it away with a recovery truck due to the issues and have it worked on. He then decided to turn up without the recovery truck and drive it home and then the engine went kaput. The ad didn't state spare or repairs as the car would still start but it was him that text an offer after the agreed deal on ebay saying he wants to pay a bit less and would take it as spare or repairs. He is now saying he's going to take me to court for fraud.... Yet he is the one who didn't stick to his side of the agreement(tow it away) and he was the one who stated he'd take it as spares and repairs. I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about but I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar issues with a chancer?

Don
How kaput did the engine go? Are we talking a catastrophic failure?
I'd say the only thing you need to worry about is Ebay and how they will handle it. I'm not sure what their stance is on car classified but for anything else it's quite easy to get Ebay to reverse a transaction as they always side with the buyer.

Soldato
OP
The agreed ebay price was £300 higher than what he actually paid me in the end, so I guess that would be breaking the agreement? He also paid via bank transfer when collecting. I've saved and taken screenshots of the messages where he's stated he'll buy it as spares and repairs.

Soldato
OP
How kaput did the engine go? Are we talking a catastrophic failure?
I'd say the only thing you need to worry about is Ebay and how they will handle it. I'm not sure what their stance is on car classified but for anything else it's quite easy to get Ebay to reverse a transaction as they always side with the buyer.

He stated the bottom end cracked apparently. He's been harassing me none stop and I've now had to block him.

Soldato
OP
^ yep

Text conversation is fine; it was sold outside of eBay so they won't be interested (assuming you killed/deleted the auction).

I accepted his offer on there of £1400 but then I sent him a video of the issue and that's when he was texting and said he will pay £1150 and buy it as spares and repairs and that he would use a recovery truck to use it.

Soldato
OP
Being "truly human" though - was the car at risk of grenading? He knows where you live. Was it always a spares and repairs vehicle?
I didn't think so. It had a tapping sound which I informed him of and I had been using it daily. He stated that because of the issue he believes it is, he would take it as spares and repairs and take it away with a recovery truck, as shown in the screenshot above.

Don
What the hell does "bottom end has cracked" mean? Thrown a rod? Cracked sump? Cracked crank?
He's a chancer I reckon and is hoping you'll give him a few quid back if he tries it on. Block and move on.

Soldato
If you have it writing that he knew it was knackered. It's all on him. Its only fraud if you hide it or don't tell them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you have it writing that he knew it was knackered. It's all on him. Its only fraud if you hide it or don't tell them.

I had been using the car daily and told him about the tapping sound which was genuinely the only issue I knew about. I sent him a video and he even had a look when he came to collect it. He was even the one who said its in worser condition than what I thought it was and that's why he wanted to buy it as spares and repairs.

sounds like he thinks as you have already given him some off the original agreed price hes trying his luck for more
whos to say it actually broke down on the way home
my guess hes just tyring it on for more
and you also have the messages stating he buying it spares or repairs so hes got nothing to go on only harrasment thats all

block and ignore, if he still tries it on report to police, then message him the crime refrence number that will shut the chancer up!

Back
Top Bottom