• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

939 AMD 3800 s/core to X2 44))/4800 - worth it?

Associate
Hey

Hoping for some help advice on this please.

Been wanting to upgrade my system for some time now but over each and every month i'm getting some kind of bill or unforeseen bad thing happening that's not allowing me to save up and i've almost given up on the idea of upgrading my whole rig.

If you had the chance to get an retail x2 skt939 4800 AMD cpu for say £100 would you do it?

Spec currently is:
AMD 64 3800
2 gig ram pc3200
256 meg x1950 pro
250 gig sata hd
vista premium 64 bit-OEM

Or a 4400x2 retail for £65. Is there much difference in real useage between the 2 cpus?

If i change my mobo it's not the cost of getting new mobo/cpu/ram, i've also got to get a need HD and copy of vista because i believe the OEM locks to a single mobo.

SOooooo what do you guys think?

Soldato
If you had the chance to get an retail x2 skt939 4800 AMD cpu for say £100 would you do it?

Well, i had one of them and managed 3Ghz on air with tiny volt increase, around the same time one of brothers had the 4200+ of which i o/c to 2.8Ghz. The diff via testing was marginal so imo not worth it, however at £100 think of the potential resale value, sold mine for over £200 and had very big smile at the time since that was a fair bit more than i paid for it new. :D

Associate
the 4400 and the 4800 are very close in performance, from 2200 mhz to 2400 mhz with identical core otherwise. if your not going to oc then its up to you if you wanna spend the cash. if you will oc i would say to go for the 4400 unless you know your mobo isnt a good fsb clocker.

cross your fingers for LCB9E or similar stepping...

Caporegime
I take it your 3800 is the single core varient going by your thread title.

The 4400+ should be a boost just cause it has two cores, so the 4800+ will definetly be an improvement...How much of an improvement is hard to tell though, maybe someone else can shed some light on that factor.

But as said earlier, it may be worth waiting untill after christmas or something, and save up a bit mroe cash to do a full change over or something...

Depends what your finances are going to be like in the next few months I guess :)

I've got an X2 4400+ as in my sig with the other component, and that runs everything I'm throwing at it currently, and still chugging along quite nicely :)

Associate
i have a single core 64 4000 on 939 platform.
Its still doing everything i want it to for gaming etc with 2x 7900GS. flying through counter strike source etc. i am thinking of upgrading at some point just for the sake of it but am going to wait to see what amd's new K10 architecture is like.. but to be honest right now i would not spend any money on a new amd chip. if you want save up for intel core2

Associate
The general advice is to get a 3800 or 4200 X2 as the 4400 & 4800 carry a price differnce which is much too large for the extra performance they give. Of course, a moderate overclock with these chips up to the speed of their more expensive brethren is fairly easy.

Associate
i went from 3500xp to the 3800x2, was like a whole new system, vista 64bit is so much better!

i run the pc with a freezer pro 64, and since i run with the fan at a very slow setting ( i like a quiet pc) i will not OC it,

Associate
i just got a freezer 64 to overclock my cpu further and low and behold the fsb wont go any higher dammit!

if you are gonna buy a cheaper processor and oc, just make sure you can crank the fsb high enough. sadly for me i now have a very cool processor that is stuck at 2.4! wish i had bought a 42 / 4400 :(

Last edited:
Associate
(snip) if you will oc i would say to go for the 4400 unless you know your mobo isnt a good fsb clocker.

(snip)...

i agree with you Johnboy. everyone raving about the 3800+ x2 kinda gets annoying as they never look at the rest of your pc - getting a 3800+ to 2.8 gig requires a 40% fsb overclock. thats a lot to ask of a lot of motherboards.

Soldato
Hey

Hoping for some help advice on this please.

Been wanting to upgrade my system for some time now but over each and every month i'm getting some kind of bill or unforeseen bad thing happening that's not allowing me to save up and i've almost given up on the idea of upgrading my whole rig.

Spec currently is:
AMD 64 3800
2 gig ram pc3200
256 meg x1950 pro
250 gig sata hd
vista premium 64 bit-OEM

Or a 4400x2 retail for £65. Is there much difference in real useage between the 2 cpus?

If i change my mobo it's not the cost of getting new mobo/cpu/ram, i've also got to get a need HD and copy of vista because i believe the OEM locks to a single mobo.

SOooooo what do you guys think?

Have a look for a skt939 Opteron.

Back
Top Bottom