Give up S@H for F@H?

Associate
Hi there,

Just wondering what people think I should do? I currently run S@H but it's so quite it feels like im doing it on my own. Im now 24th in the RAC ratings for the team and when I get my quad will be going up much further but no-one talks about it...ever. Other than the gauntlet.

I have the following:

E6600 @ 2.9ghz (Penryn quad next yr)
X2 3800+ @ 2.7ghz
A64 3400+ @ 2.5ghz
P4 1.9ghz.... Takes 8+ hours to do one S@H so that one might not come across...

Just wondering if it's worth moving from the S@H to F@H group... I just think that my PPD will be quite low with this lot and when I did run it (for two days back along) I had problems with some WU's and that annoys me as it takes over a day just to do one WU.

Also, they are not all mine so if anything does go wrong I can't always fix them quickly.

If I do run F@H what client would people suggest I run? I was thinking one SMP client for the E6600 and X2 3800+ and just a normal one with the A64?

Also what is this VMware I see around and is it quicker to use this with Linux?

Cheers in advance, Doug.

Man of Honour
Soldato
You'd get pretty good PPD out of the dual core rigs. You'd certainly be over 1k ppd, probably closer to 2k ppd.

Yeah, you'd want to use SMP on the E6600 and the X2 and the regular console client for the rest.

People use the Linux SMP client, either natively or in a VM, because it's marginally faster and the WUs tend to be better. If you don't want to bother it's certainly not requisite.

Soldato
With an E6600 at almost 3GHz and an OCd X2 he could expect 2k easily. My 4400+ when I had it managed nearly 2k on its own when running two clients.

If you have control over both dual-core rigs, I highly recommend at least one SMP client apiece. If you have the patience/willingness to install Linux [either native or Virtually] you could run two clients on the E6600 and get a good boost in output. I wouldn't recommend two Windows SMP clients as they are finnicky enough as it is, without having two to worry about.

For a complete step-by-step guide on how to install Linux and setup the SMP client, follow my guide here: http://smp.aeternum.co.uk.

If you wish to stick to Windows SMP client, there is lots of useful info here: http://smp.aeternum.co.uk/guide/8

Associate
OP
Cheers for your replys guys!

I could install Linux Virtualy on my E6600 and put a Windows SMP client on the X2. I won't be able to monitor the X2 constanly (maybe via FahMON?) but how often do the windows SMP clients have problems/crashes?

If I install Linux virtually do I have to leave MS Virtual PC open constantly or is there another way? This is my main PC so don't want to lose all my RAM running a VM Linux install constantly...

Is this more 'exciting' than the S@H? I see a lot more posts for F@H than I do for S@H... What are all these parps and stomps etc? it's all very confusing:confused::confused::D

Associate
Well, there are a few of us SETI types left, honest!

But you are right, apart from the gauntlet there hasnt been much happening :(

Oh, and Parps are warnings you are about to pass someones total, and a Stomp is a gleeful anouncement that you have passed a slackers total.

Have fun, whatever you decide to crunch :D

Alan Woodford

Associate
Dougiebabe2003, i know its been quiet on the seti front except for the odd tiffy and parp here and there, i think we really miss a weekly stats email like there is for the folding boys, but (and don't take this the wrong way) i haven't seen you post much about seti? there are plenty of people still doing seti for OCUK, probably a similar number to the folding crowd, and in terms of output (RAC/ppd) i think they are both about 20th in the world, there just a bit quiet on the forum. so please don't leave us, we could really use another quad on the team, will get you up to the top 10 producers probably and will have you flying up the charts. and maybe then you could post a few parps and stomps, i promise you someone will reply:)

Soldato
Well you'd certainly be most welcome in the F@H group! With those, and an impending quad, you'd be flying up the tables in no time (~4000ppd+ depending on how long they're on for and what clients they're running).

Soldato
Why don't one of you SETI crunchers start making a weekly news post? At least then you all have something to talk about even if only once a week.

Yup definitely - F@H discussion here was pretty quiet too before the news posts if I remember correctly, that was the main reason for me deciding to produce them in the first place.

Even if not detailed user stats then just a weekly summary of what the team is doing in terms of RAC and ranking compared to last week would be a start.

Just don't look at me - I got my hands full already :p :D

Soldato
I could automate SETI news too, but I dunno how the points work and what numbers are important. I'm pretty sure there's an OcUK stats page anyway, so maybe someone could just use that to create a weekly summary.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys for all your replies!

There are still a lot of active crunchers on the OCUK S@H team but never any posts on it... Now that I know a few people are around I will speak up a bit more;)

Maybe having a weekly news would be good... I will have to look into it etc:D Having a weekly news would encourge a few people speak up about thier stats:D

I think that crunching for S@H is still great (had the classic version although didn't crunch as much as some people) but just seems that F@H is the 'new & improved' way to pass your CPU's empty cycle times.

I think I will stay loyal to the S@H team for now & will see how my quad does when I finally get one. (Roll on Q1 2008!) After that.... Who knows:D;)

Cheers again guys, Doug.

P.S. If someone was to make a weekly stats how would they go about such things?

Soldato
For Folding@Home Stanford has various stats pages freely available to anyone. There is also a very good stats site at http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com which provides some quite detailed info.

Up until recently rich99million used all these to create the news. It entailed lots of copy and pasting! I am about to change that with my new script which should be "live" for next week's news.

So, for a SETI news you need to check out what stats Berkeley provides. From those you can derive a news post. Again that could take a lot of time with copy and pasting.

If enough people want it, I don't mind programming a SETI script. I imagine it would be nearly identical to the Folding News generator so it wouldn't take much work. However before I think about doing that I would have to see an actual news post created by one of you guys, just so I know what info you want and how to display it.

Email is in my sig if you want to discuss anything.

Back
Top Bottom