Fair price for a 02 e46 m3?

Soldato
Just wondering guys would £17,100 (not including insp 2) 17,750 with insp 2 service completed

be a fair price for an absolutely mint e46 m3, carbon black, kiwi leather, 19s, xenons etc 47,000 miles just out of warranty but with a final warranty check done and some small items (rear bushings etc) fixed?

Private sale

Soldato
OP
@nick
no it doesnt, i looked at one which did but it wasnt as tidy a car and didnt have as comforting a service history or as anal an owner!

this car is really mint and i can do without the comms pack (altho its shiney!)

Man of Honour
Don't forget that even though you might be buying an M3 for £17K, you're still buying a car with £45K running costs and consumables. Tyres are not cheap so I would check the condition of those and I would urge you to have the Service 2 done as well, ideally within the BMW network though at the price different quoted I suspect not. I assume the car has no BMW Warranty, which I think is a risk I wouldn't personally take with such a car if you use it often. I would also want to see a good set of service stamps and importanty that running service on or close to 1250 miles. If not, I would walk as there are plenty of good E46 M3's out there at the moment, and their prices will only head downwards. The price to me seems about where it should be for such a car.

Associate
Why do you say that? Not a fan of SMG?

In an ideal world, I'd have SMG for 90% of the time and a manual for stuck in stop-start traffic jams and slow around-town traffic.

The SMG is great once you get used to treating it properly but can still be a bit clunky in slow traffic. I've found that turning traction control off provides smoother changes. I've also learnt to select the gear I want when approaching junctions rather than letting it downshift automatically - prevents embarrassing pauses when it suddenly decides to select 1st as you decide to make a quick break!

Associate
Don't forget that even though you might be buying an M3 for £17K, you're still buying a car with £45K running costs and consumables. Tyres are not cheap so I would check the condition of those and I would urge you to have the Service 2 done as well, ideally within the BMW network though at the price different quoted I suspect not. I assume the car has no BMW Warranty, which I think is a risk I wouldn't personally take with such a car if you use it often. I would also want to see a good set of service stamps and importanty that running service on or close to 1250 miles. If not, I would walk as there are plenty of good E46 M3's out there at the moment, and their prices will only head downwards. The price to me seems about where it should be for such a car.

Agreed apart from the fact that it's increasingly difficult to find a car over 3 years old with a BMW warranty since they upped the cost and the excess a few years ago.

Soldato
OP

service history is perfect and he had a lot of niggles sorted under warranty so im happy with that, he was quoted 650 for the insp2 by the garage who carried out the last of the warranty work so i assume they realise whats involved with this car (or more likely what now doesnt need to be done)

running in service completed bang on 1200 miles, but ill need two new rears

my last car was an e39 530i sport and an e46 323ci before that so i reckon i have some idea of what itll cost to run, albeit m's being more expensive

the warranty lapsed as its 700 odd quid to renew it, i wouldnt renew for that cash

Associate
I think you'll find a high proportion of 3+ year old M3's are lacking a BMW warranty. They moved the warranty goal posts a few years back - the price went up and the excess increased substantially. Even the service staff at my local dealers had to admit that they would think twice before shelling out a lot of money for the new scheme.

Have a look at the boards on http://www.mtorque.co.uk/ for more info.

Associate
It's worth calling around for the servicing. Last time I had the biggy, the price differed by an incredible 50% between 3 BMW dealers within an hour of me.

2 rears will cost you around £400-450 from etyres. The Continental M3 tyres (if that's what you choose) were in very short supply a month ago when I replaced mine. The fronts were nowhere in the country.

General consensus of opinion on http://www.mtorque.co.uk/ when the warranty changed was that you were better off keeping the cash in your pocket and praying that nothing expensive went bang. It's a gamble that means different things to different people but they're generally fairly reliable cars considering how highly-strung they are.

Soldato
OP
ill only be doing 8,000 miles a year at most and ill take care of it, hopefully ill be ok :) if not, what can ya do, i have a good indy that will be minding her for me.

im not going to go with the m3 continentals, not worth the premium imo over vredestein ultrac sessantas or the like

Man of Honour
The E46 M3 engine is pretty bullet proof assuming all the recalls have been done. There were problems with some of the early cars circa end of 2001, though mainly within the US. This was predominantly down to oil pump problems and there have been a couple of major recalls too around the bottom end, which a 2002 car will have been subject to, so you need to ensure that not only the servicing is up to scratch, which it seems to be, but that all the recalls have been done as well.

I have been a long time member of MTorque or BM3W, and have had 2 E46 M3’s from new, covering around 53K in the first and 44K in the second, so I have a very good fix on what it costs to run an M3. It is fair to say that of late there seem to be more and more posts from the later adopters indicating a growing list of problems, many small and no more than annoyances, but without a warranty they can be expensive. I had a Vanos fail on my first M3 and if I was paying for this myself it would have cost £2400 to put right. You should also note that BMW have recently reduced the cost of Warranties (I think) on the M cars, though they still have some clauses in there and excesses.

I would personally not put Conti tyres on an M3 either, and if the car has 19’s there are only 2 makes that you can fit which have the correct sizing of an M3 tyre, Conti is one and Michelin PS’s are the other. The PS2’s are a much better tyre than the Conti and the car runs much better on them, especially in standing water and damp conditions, and provides more steering feel and consistency too. The Conti’s are not as good in mine and virtually any M3 owner’s opinion who has driven on both.

If you get a good one it should cost you no more than tyres and servicing, but bare in mind that if you enjoy the car a set of rears may last 4000 miles, and for PS2's you are looking anywhere between £250 - £280 per rear corner. I have had roughly 10 BMW's and the M3's were a more expensive car to run than any of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom