4.4l 543bhp X5

Man of Honour
Yawn. Don't see the point, 5 Series with the same engine will be faster, handle better, look better and just generally be better at everything except going off road and looking like a blinged up property developer.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11214904 said:
Yawn. Don't see the point, 5 Series with the same engine will be faster, handle better, look better and just generally be better at everything except going off road and looking like a blinged up property developer.

Q F T

I dont understand these things :confused:

And if you ARE going off road, why would you choose a brand new 50k+ BMW ?

Soldato
Q F T

I dont understand these things :confused:

And if you ARE going off road, why would you choose a brand new 50k+ BMW ?

The same reason that people buy sports cars yet never take them round a track, simply because they like them. Where are the rules that state that you're only allowed to buy a certain type of vehicle if you promise to use it for the sole purpose it was created?

I dare bet that the vast majority of Ferraris, Porsches and Lambos aren't driven on track or anywhere near their 200mph limit yet people still buy them simply because they like them. I dare say that half of all Porches sold in the UK probably reside in London, where their owners get the pleasure of driving at 5mph everywhere.

Fox has a huge 3l 5 series but how often does he drive hundreds of miles on the motorway with 4 adults and a boot full of luggage? I know Elise owners that never exceed 4500rpm and would baulk at the prospect of going anywhere near a track yet they were quite happy to spend £20k+ on the car simply because they like it.

Man of Honour
Where are the rules that state that you're only allowed to buy a certain type of vehicle if you promise to use it for the sole purpose it was created?

Same place as the rules which state we are free to have our own personal irrational opinions on the merits of certain cars? ;)

I think the thing that makes the X5 a tad different to your examples is that you have to make quite a lot of compromises for that offroad ability. To then not take advantage of it seems pointless - why compromise to gain something you won't use?

I wouldn't have bought my 5 if, for example, its cruising ability made it useless at most other things..

Soldato
Personally I'm rather attracted to the prospect of a 4x4 with a huge raucus engine that does about 12mpg, needs big wheels though so you can squash Prius's with it.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
why not just get a G55 breathed on by brabus?
only 530bhp but it gets to 60 in 5s.. and its a brabus :p

(referring to SLR G-wagon)

Man of Honour
in your opinion.
i much prefer the look of an x5 to a 5 series.

You are joking right?

500bhp 5 Series:

m5bb0.jpg

500bhp X5:

x5yb5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom