IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL HELP!!!!

Associate
i have started receiving this message in the form of a blue screen of death, so far only when i have been playing call of duty 4 and it doesnt happen often but its happened about 4 times now in the past month, it just did it again and im getting a bit worried lol any ideas?

Soldato
theres a set of numbers that should be posted on the blue screen, you want to google the first set (there should be 4 sets 3 in brackets that arent needed but the set before google and should tell you the problem)

Associate
Used to have these on my AMD setup. Think they're something to do with the RAM. May be wrong though. Also check that it isn't your CPU that's overheating.
Could be graphics problem, you got an ATi or nVidia?

Need info from the blue screen,
e.g. stop: 0x1234567 (0x1234567).....

usbport.sys - address xyzabc

Was pointed to this fix by Microsoft at one point: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...C4-E3A1-411A-9C9B-DC23923D09E7&displaylang=en

Last edited:
Commissario
IIRC IRQ_not_less_or_equal is often bad/dodgy drivers, but can also be dodgy ram or a hardware fault.

My recommendation would be to try updating/using older drivers (update if you're not up to date, older drivers if you are up to date), and if that doesn't work a memory test on the RAM - memtest86 which will run of a bootable CD/floppy (IIRC there are images available for both), or if you've got more than 4gb of ram I think the Vista install CD has a memory test as well.

Soldato
Does Vista keep a log of the information on bluescreens? I've had IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a few times when gaming, I suspect it's to do with my graphics card drivers but the bluescreen has gone and the computer rebooted before I get chance to write the numbers down.

Associate
OP
my cpu rarely goes above 50 degrees, its an e2160 running at 2797.2mhz
my graphics card is an 8800gs, and i have 2gb of geil platinum stuff altho thats clocked at just over 900mhz, stock is 800mhz. but it has all been running fine for the past 4-5 months or so.. so far it has only done it in call of duty 4, i play command and conquor 3 aswell but when i play cod4 i am on it for a few hours at a time.

Soldato
It's usually always an Nvidia driver issue. Try a few different versions see if it helps.

If not then I'd start to look towards your RAM. Run memtest86, though even if it doesn't give errors there still might be an issue. Loose the overclock, see if that helps. If it doesn't then try them with slacker timings, give them more volts, etc. If that still doesn't work try just 1 stick and see if one is fault, or try different memory if you can.

Associate
I had this error on a 2nd PC a few years ago, drove me mad trying to troubleshoot it as it seems to be a fairly generic crash message.

For me it turned out to be the CPU overheating.

Associate
I had this as well! on 2 of my pc's turned out to be creative x-fi card on one.
as soon as i switched on board sound card off in bios. it stopped blue screens!

also had K_mode_error as well as IRQ_not_equal etc

other pc was also creative related i'm sure, as i dont use creative stuff on it anymore and it has stopped crashing!

thats not to say creative were at fault it was just conflictions that were hard to spot.

Back
Top Bottom