• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800 making "hissing" sound!?

Permabanned
I noticed the 6800 in one of my spare machines, making a sort of hissing sound whenever it renders a frame.

so for instance, if a game is running at 30fps, then it sounds like a bloody rattlesnake! Whats causing this? Anyone have any idea?

cheers.

Permabanned
If your sure its not Mechanical noise from the Fan then its a Cap or Coil.

I had a brand new 8600GTS for a customer at launch and it made a extremely loud noise in 3D mode but silent in 2D mode, obv it was out the box new so RMA'd.

Soldato
My 6800gt made a high pitched hissing sound still working ok today several years after i bought it.
From what i can remember this was quite a common problem, i wouldnt worry just buy something else if it dies.

Permabanned
OP
yeah im not worried if it dies, ive got an x800xt under my bed somewhere I can throw in if it dies. Just wondered what it was, and if I could fix it lol

Soldato
I've got an 8800gtx which does something similar.

If I open up ati tool and open the 3dfurry cube thing it hisses, and then if i close the furry cube it stops..Havn't found a solution really, thought it was something to do with OCing it, but I clock it back to stock and it still hisses.

Soldato
Oh, just had a bit of a google and apparently some silicone sealant, or a dab of glue off a hot glue gun on the choke coils is meant to stop it...What ever the hell those are. And if it was caps, apparently the noise would be accompanied by the liquid inside the cap spurting out and killing the card.

Tho thats all just off a couple of forums, so not particularly official

Soldato
The hissing is just cap/inductor squeal and is very common and doesn't mean it's going to fail.

Just about every graphics card I have ever owned has had cap squeal to some degree. You will also find this noise on some motherboards when under load.

So to repeat its nothing to worry about just turn your sound up :)

Back
Top Bottom