WoTLK - Do you guys think that the Death Knight will be overused ?

Associate
True, but the point I was making is guys like Arthas are central to the WoW lore and to me should be in the back ground exerting a brooding menace and maybe making cameo appearance in scripted high end encounters, but never be challenged directly by players, especally in a 10 man raid.

Arthas was only introduced into the Warcraft universe in WC3. Hardly central IMHO.

I think to elavate players to a level where they can kill one of the main characters in Warcraft will be making the players some of the most powerful creaturs in the world and will diloute the world too much.

Naaa. Theres loads to kill in Warcraft. Old gods, Elemental plane, trolls (seems to be loads of these about), the emeral dream, queen ashara and the Black dragonflight.

Another point with regards to Arthas. He is as I say one of the most powerful characters in the lore and after he's been topped off and a growing number of guilds have him on farm who's next?

See above.

undoutably they'll need to more than one free content expansion like Zul Aman and Sunwell Plateau, who can they put there that is more poweful than Arthas? by having someone as powerful as him killable they are going to be running out of options with regards to bosses and keeping faithful to the WoW lore.

Well they have done this in the past and I dare say they will do this again.

Arthas is the most powerful in Northrend. Plus he is only human with some powerful magic armour (with the living essence of Ner'Zul a orc shammie). So, powerful, yes. Unkillable, No. And I doubt the players will be alone for the Lich Kings death.

Oh yea, the most powerful being in Warcraft lore has to be the Titans. They created azeroth.

Associate
I read that the Arthas Raid event actually wont be in the initial WotLK release - it will come in a later free content patch. Killing him will effectively end the WC3 story Arc so it makes sense to me to bring him out nearer to the end of WotLK's life cycle.

Apparently the top-tier Raid event out-of-the-box, will be the Malygos Raid encounter.

Soldato
Naaa. Theres loads to kill in Warcraft. Old gods, Elemental plane, trolls (seems to be loads of these about), the emeral dream, queen ashara and the Black dragonflight.

Agreed, but surely they should leave something that is beyond the scope of mortal player characters. I think that players having hand in killing Arthas is just taking it a bit too far personally. With the imagination it took to create WoW and the associated lore, surely they could come up with some compelling raid instances and bosses with out having to bump off central Warcraft figures.

Arthas is the most powerful in Northrend. Plus he is only human with some powerful magic armour (with the living essence of Ner'Zul a orc shammie). So, powerful, yes. Unkillable, No. And I doubt the players will be alone for the Lich Kings death.

I'm sure they won't, just like Illidan. But to be it just cheapens the lore a little bit too much having him killed on a 10 man raid.

Associate
But to be it just cheapens the lore a little bit too much having him killed on a 10 man raid.

I think this is one of the reasons WoW is so popular, the disposable lore. A lot less people get bent out of shape when they do something like this than you'd get from the Lotro and SWG crowd. The lore was made for the games so in effect the games make the lore.

Don't get me wrong, I like the WoW lore but I play because I like the game. I knew nothing about the lore before I started playing so they can go ahead and add all the pewpew aliens or kill off all the big bad bosses they like.

Associate
I think this is one of the reasons WoW is so popular, the disposable lore. A lot less people get bent out of shape when they do something like this than you'd get from the Lotro and SWG crowd. The lore was made for the games so in effect the games make the lore.

Don't get me wrong, I like the WoW lore but I play because I like the game. I knew nothing about the lore before I started playing so they can go ahead and add all the pewpew aliens or kill off all the big bad bosses they like.

I agree. With the player playing an active role with major figures within the lore is more appealing to me. Killing them is fun too.

If there was a major bad guy and all you ever did was kill his henchmen every dungeon, the game would have the same feel as a poorly made saturday morning cartoon. I would expect then the bosses last words to be "I would have gotten away with it, if it wasnt for these medelling raiders!".

Soldato
wordy said:
True, but the point I was making is guys like Arthas are central to the WoW lore and to me should be in the back ground exerting a brooding menace and maybe making cameo appearance in scripted high end encounters

I agree with you about the 10 man, i'm a casual player and i know i'll never get to see most of the interesting raid content. But it would be nice to come across characters like Arthas, maybe in some cut scenes or quest lines that are available to everyone, only making him accessible via high end raids means that 95% of the playerbase gets frustrated.

At the end of the day blizz have to design their game for hardcore and casuals, which inevitably means they'll have to make concessions like the 10 man arthas raids to keep people playing/paying.

Soldato
I don't think the Death Knight will be a problem. IMO WotLK will be a rehash of whats been played sence release. In other words if you bored of WoW now you will be bored of WoW after WotLK.

Permabanned
I think everyone is forgetting that WotLK is the last expansion for WoW. After this blizzard will be working on their new mmo.

And to settle the argument about Arthas. He is the most powerfull being in Azeroth, and he will be the final boss to kill before the end of WoW. Most likely a 25man raid.
I was always hoping one day that there would be a dungeon where the Horde and the Alliance have to work together to complete it. It is pretty well known that in the Warcraft lore, the Horde and the Alliance have a common interest in destroying the Lich King and all of the Scourge.

Don
I think the DK class will be overused at first just like Dranai Shamen and Blood Elf Paladins were at the beginning of TBC. It's all settled down now.

I myself will probably roll one as I'm a game mechanics junkie and I'm interested in how the combat system will work. My feral tank will always be my main though.

Soldato
I think everyone is forgetting that WotLK is the last expansion for WoW. After this blizzard will be working on their new mmo.

And to settle the argument about Arthas. He is the most powerfull being in Azeroth, and he will be the final boss to kill before the end of WoW. Most likely a 25man raid.
I was always hoping one day that there would be a dungeon where the Horde and the Alliance have to work together to complete it. It is pretty well known that in the Warcraft lore, the Horde and the Alliance have a common interest in destroying the Lich King and all of the Scourge.

so you're saying there will be no more expansions after WoTLK, where did you hear this?

They've got 10 million subscribers while will probably go up a slightly after WoTLK, do you really think they'll just stop releasing content for it?

Soldato
Casual players will be all over the new class on release day, for hardcore raiding guilds little will change. Maybe 1-2 people will be allowed to re-roll once their pve potential has been established, the rest wil just have them as alts for leveling between raids.

Permabanned
You missunderstand. I said there will be no more expansions. I never said no more updates.

Thing is, WoW has been around for almost 4 years now, blizzard wont keep releasing expansions for it, when there is potentially more money to be made from a new mmo. Possibly a new World of Warcraft. Even if its a continuation of WoW, WotLK is the last WoW expansion and blizzard are working on a new mmo, that is all I know.

Soldato
You missunderstand. I said there will be no more expansions. I never said no more updates.

Thing is, WoW has been around for almost 4 years now, blizzard wont keep releasing expansions for it, when there is potentially more money to be made from a new mmo. Possibly a new World of Warcraft. Even if its a continuation of WoW, WotLK is the last WoW expansion and blizzard are working on a new mmo, that is all I know.

Do you have a link so I can read please?

Associate

You present this as fact, so there must be a source of your info. So, can you state where this info comes from?

I personally find it hard to belive that blizz will stop at 2 expansions. Other MMO's have had 5+ expansions and have lasted a lot longer than 3 years.

/edit, ive seen your post above so i'll regard what you have said simply as a rumor.

Back
Top Bottom