Which distro and install?

Fop

Fop

Associate
haha yeah i may have a peer at this gone version, as writing off stuff one a few experences isnt always good (even if i still cant handle ubuntu...)

I remember finding it hard to remove the preinstalled stuff (probably fixed by now though) as it felt a little too like windows :confused:

Anyway iv become too used to gentoo for my own good (along with windows xp but you know) so its off to more linuxness! (and drinking...) :D

Aye, the Gnome2008 or the minime2008 might be better as it allows you to build it up as you want.

But then I don't know that it's a distro for people that are really into linux (although I don't really see why not either), I just think it's a very good distro for introducing people that have only used windows and/or aren't that bothered about digging so long as it does the things they want it to do.

Associate
I tried PcLinuxOS but disliked it.

Try Mandriva.
Wow - helpful post. Perhaps give some reasons why you disliked it rather than making a flat statement.

I've tried lots of linuxes and disliked them, but I've also tried lots and liked them - each distro has it's own strengths and weaknesses and the OP is looking for help choosing a distro.

Simply stating "I didn't like distro Y" isn't very useful.

Yeah, sorry.. I was in a hurry.

I tried PcLinuxOS but disliked it.

Try Mandriva.
]Im going to say i tried PcLinuxOS and didnt like it either

But its because it felt very bloated and slow (on my old athlon 2400). Im also not a KDE fan, found the package management system slow and poorly done.

Anyway.. Basically... what ^^^^ he said.

Wait.
So you essentially just said, you didn't like PCLinuxOS cos it was a KDE based distro, yet recommend another KDE based distro?

Are you high?
Two things; why the hell would you do that, you are essentially just trying to confuse the original poster - either that or you're completely confused yourself, which is it?

Associate
OP
Dont worry guys, if he's confused Im not. Ive put Ubuntu on my system now and am quite liking it so far so will stick with this for a while I reckon, just been downloading tons of updates/codecs and getting things working. Now I need to know what are the best progs for various things, like music players I can connect to my ipods, photo viewers/editers, file managers etc..

Soldato
Both are KDE based, yes. But I found Mandrivas usage of it both prettier and easier to use.

YES I know KDE can be faff arsed around with to make it look however you want, probably even more so than Gnome. Out of the box Mandriva (to me) is better than PcLinuxOs.

2196916723_71287da27d_b.jpg

Associate
to me it looks just like my missus's copy of XP. I dont know why we need linux to act/look like windows?! It's not windows and never will be. And thats not me microsoft bashing I just think that learning linux in general is quite an uphill task for a beginner without making them think its the same.

Soldato
This did my head in trying to get this uploaded. It just kept bombing out on the upload. I ended up having to setup my email addy on it and email it to my main machine to upload.

Anyway.. All that crap just to wipe the poxy thing off the system. debating trying mint on it now.

PcLinuxOS1.png

Soldato
to me it looks just like my missus's copy of XP. I dont know why we need linux to act/look like windows?! It's not windows and never will be. And thats not me microsoft bashing I just think that learning linux in general is quite an uphill task for a beginner without making them think its the same.

I agree with this but understand the otherside.

Having a beginner use linux with a OS which acts/looks like windows can ease the transition. Things are where you "expect" them to be.

In the long hall though I feel people should move away from the windows look. But then again, the Windows look makes sense just as any other.

I dunno. It all comes down to personal taste. I can work with any GUI apart from OSX (because it makes me feel retarded).

Soldato
Just finished installing & updating mint.
Doesn't look too bad tbh.. It's using gnome in a kde kind of fashion. Most things seem to be installed by default. Software is added by clicking on the Elyssia button, bottom left and selecting either Package Manager (Synaptic) or Software Portal.

I can't get jelly windows or any other whizz-band compiz effects going despite installing restricted drivers and playing in advanced compiz settings. They all work in ubuntu on this machine. Ubuntu being installed on a separate HD and disconnected during "OTHER Os installs coz I dont want it detecting in grub.

ScreenshotMINT.png

[EDIT]

Just booted up the test machine with mint on it (currently editing this post with it) and low and behold... The Whizz-Bang effects are working !!

Last edited:

Fop

Fop

Associate

It depends on who you're aiming it at.

People don't like change and an awful lot of people will be and are put off by their first "hmm... I want to do X but I can't do it like windows moment".

Now you can say "well they shouldn't be using linux then", and if that's your opinion then that is your opinion, but like it or not the stronger linux becomes in market share the better and more quickly it will develop.

In the long hall though I feel people should move away from the windows look. But then again, the Windows look makes sense just as any other.
Aye it's true that there's a certain amount of "you must not like windows style", even if it is what works best for you.

Which is daft IMO.

This did my head in trying to get this uploaded. It just kept bombing out on the upload. I ended up having to setup my email addy on it and email it to my main machine to upload.

Was it a repository issue? I did say it doesn't have commercial backing (like k/ubuntu, Mandriva and most of the rest) as it's entirely community based, and it can occasionally be slightly iffy (there's a $25 a year sub one too which is likely better).

One of the problems is the main version is the 2007 version was released about a year ago now, which of course will more or less fully update, but it will be quite an update (the full 2008 release will be out in the next month or two apparently).

The minime2008 is out (which is a stripped down version to build up) and the Gnome2008 as well (although I've never tried it).

Although the current Mandriva is now miles ahead of where the then current Mandriva was when PCLinuxOS2007 was released a year ago.

The really weird thing about linux at the moment is that there seems to be a sort of self-selection to Ubuntu being the only choice for beginners, which I don't think will be good for anyone in the longer term.

Soldato
I can see the choice being whittled down to maybe three major distro's for the general public.

1: Ubuntu/Kubuntu
2: Linux Mint
3: Mandriva

With the advent of huge cheap hard drives OEM's could even dual boot 2 or three different disto's on same machine and let customer decide which of the main three they prefer. Although that could possibly confuse Jo/anne Numpty.

One things for sure though... Linux is on the up.

Whats SkyOs like?

Associate
I can see the choice being whittled down to maybe three major distro's for the general public.

1: Ubuntu/Kubuntu
2: Linux Mint
3: Mandriva

With the advent of huge cheap hard drives OEM's could even dual boot 2 or three different disto's on same machine and let customer decide which of the main three they prefer. Although that could possibly confuse Jo/anne Numpty.

One things for sure though... Linux is on the up.

Whats SkyOs like?
Why you discounting Fedora/SuSe
Mint is essentially Ubuntu.

Associate
OP
Any tips on the best apps to install for Ubuntu? And how do you find out what apps are out there easily?

I really a program to sync my ipod to and listen to my MP3's with. Ive got Amarok, is that the best?

Also need a app to use to transfer my photos from camera, to specific directories. I tried F-spot but I cant find an option on where to download and rename the photos on the hard disk.

Back
Top Bottom