• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone play WoW at 2560?

Associate
Hi All,

I've recently gone back to WoW. I've got a BFG OC 8800gtx and run at 2560x1200. Generally it's fine and sits at 60fps (not sure what if any AA settings I have active). I've noticed though in Shattrath and some other towns the fps drops through the floor (to maybe 30 and it just feels sluggish).

My CPU is quad core extreme (2.66 I think), 2gbs ram, Windows XP.

So anyone got a better card (or would recommend a better card) or is it the same old same old when in town systems drop to their knees and just put up with it.

Cheers

Permabanned
Surely you wouldn't need a GTX280 for WoW? I'd try overclocking your PC, especially if it's a Quad Extreme (shame on you for not overclocking it! :D).

WoW is a pretty bad looking game, I'm sure people are getting around 60FPS in bioshock at 2560x1600, how could WoW demand a GTX280?

I'm not doubting you Asgard, it just sounds like something's broken if WoW needs a 280 :confused:

Soldato
4870x2 user here and no issues what so ever.

Using a dell 30" 2560x1600

Q6600 clocked at 3.96ghz only ever seen 2 cores used and thats only upto around 40% max.

8gb of ram.

I would say it could be your ram causing issues, i used to get stutter even with 4gb but im using vista 64bit.

Associate
Wow is ram hungry like monkey said. When I used to play at 1680x1050 I had 100% mem usage, when I upped it to 3gb things were a lot smoother. That would make sense as in a city there are generally a lot of players/characters with individual items that need displaying which will tax a lot of memory.

Permabanned
Wow is ram hungry like monkey said. When I used to play at 1680x1050 I had 100% mem usage, when I upped it to 3gb things were a lot smoother. That would make sense as in a city there are generally a lot of players/characters with individual items that need displaying which will tax a lot of memory.

That would make a lot more sense than a GTX280 being needed for WoW at 2560x1600. Op would do best getting a 4870 and some nice new shiny RAM *cough*8GB*cough* :D

I recently upgraded to 8GB and it's great :p. I personally find 2GB to be way too little for my requirements now, and I could easily use most of 4GB RAM on a normal day, just a shame the PCs at work are only 3.0Ghz Pentium Ds with 1GB RAM :( (they're used for CAD and are quite bad for it)

Soldato
Surely you wouldn't need a GTX280 for WoW? I'd try overclocking your PC, especially if it's a Quad Extreme (shame on you for not overclocking it! :D).

WoW is a pretty bad looking game, I'm sure people are getting around 60FPS in bioshock at 2560x1600, how could WoW demand a GTX280?

I'm not doubting you Asgard, it just sounds like something's broken if WoW needs a 280 :confused:

I with you on this. I played WOW for a long time. Lvl 60 Priest, Shamen... and a smattering of all the other tunes. Didn't seem too demanding to me. Thats over a year ago though.

I'm just referring to this article.

Have things changed??

http://steelforest.net/video/4870X2-GTX280.htm

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, it's not the card. The 8800gtx should handle WOW fine. Usually when your in large cities with lots of people then you will notice fps drops, but generally outside them you usually get 60fps constant. Don't think theres anything you can do.

Back
Top Bottom