New Donnington Track Plans

Caporegime
So, the new plans for Donnington have been revealed.

All the details here: http://www.donington-park.co.uk/formula-one-plans

And the master plan: http://www.donington-park.co.uk/files/pdf/master_plan.pdf

I must say, from an initial look it doesnt look to bad as a layout. A couple of overtaking places and most of the original track kept.

I havent ever been to Donnington though so dont know what its like. This redevelopment completely changes the start finish straight, chicane and hairpin on the track.

So, what do you think?

Personally, nice plans, but theres no way they will build it in time so come 2010 we wont have a British GP, just another generic boring processional street circuit in some random country with a rich Prince.

Permabanned
Personally, nice plans, but theres no way they will build it in time so come 2010 we wont have a British GP, just another generic boring processional street circuit in some random country with a rich Prince.

It will be leased to Silverstone somehow, just like when Brand Hatch 'won' the British GP rights 10 years ago.

Caporegime
OP
It will be leased to Silverstone somehow, just like when Brand Hatch 'won' the British GP rights 10 years ago.

Brands Hatch didnt get them because they couldnt get planning permission. I think they will atleast start these Donnington plans.

But I think Bernie has had enough of the British GP and lack of money. All we need is the government to show some support and wed be sorted.

Soldato
I'm just glad they've left Redgate to Mcleans as is. I'll be even more impressed if they sort out the site access/exit issues. I can't be the only person who finds it annoying when as a spectator I have to walk the long way round because they can't segregate the site properly to keep us mere mortals away from the trailers. It's even less ideal when a member of the party has limited mobility.

Associate
they're basically getting rid of the chicane in the back straight and then changing the hairpin onto the start/finish line into a Silverstone style "ohcrap the circuit's too short" complex arrangement

getting rid of the chicane i'm not overly happy about but lets face it, if they've kept it in they'd just end up flattening it out over the next 5 years due to whinging drivers, look what has happened to what was the Bus-stop at Spa :mad:

changing the last corner from a hairpin that was practically fatal in the wet to a couple of tightening left-handers designed by the looks of it to slow the cars down so that you can have a good centrally mounted camera position giving a solid 10 second shot of the fairing adverts.. *sigh*

so, they're getting rid of two overtaking points and extending the lap a little.. i'm so happy :(

Soldato
I am kind of dissapointed. Ok they left the most iconic section of the track well alone but where will you watch it from? The section where the new track is going will pretty much remove the big banking where lots of people can sit to watch the cars come down the craner curvers, through the old hairpin and up to mcleans! Also it will be the end of the dunlop bridge on the straight!

The new section does not look like it will be good for passing, ok a hairpin at the end of the main straight but then a fast tightening left hander. Spectacular and challenging but not good for overtaking! After that a fairly normal right hander with only a short acceleration zone before it!

The old national circuit as well is ruined as the tight chicane/esses are replaced by two sharper corners further apart which will maker passing harder. However the possible short circuit (turn right again at old hairpin) looks like it could be fun at the old hairpin!

Oh and PDFs work really well for this sort of thing, far better than a big GIF

Associate
I guess with the room they had to play with it doesn't look half bad. The new pit & paddock area looks huge! I'm assuming they will use the old pits for club meetings and smaller events still?
Looks like there will still be some excitement into the first corner, although they’ll be all sorted out by the time there into Redgate and the Craner curves :s

I'm glad that the British GP has moved to Donnington though as Silverstone is just too far for people who live further up north to attend on any reasonable budget. Saying that though Silverstone is an awesome high speed track, who knows perhaps they will alternate the British GP between the two of them one day?

Soldato
They had better build a ruddy great big road to get access.

When i went to the Renault world series and it took 2 hours to get out of a muddy field with nobody marshalling and one gate it was a joke.

That little village will be completely swamped with traffic too.

Caporegime
OP
The traffic arangements at Silverstone only just work, and they shut an entire strech of dual carageway to make a 4 lane 1 way system into a 6 lane 1 ways system alongside the track...

I agree with whats been said, they can do what they want to the track, but without major road works, they wont get it.

G_D

G_D

Associate
Not impressed still. Went to the Moto GP a couple of months ago and tbh the whole place is a bit of a hole. The master plan is not going to sort it. Equally as has been mentioned nothing has been said about the parking etc. All the car parks are still grass and access in general is terrible, despite being so close to the M1. Silverstone had big problems with both hence they were both addressed.

A problem with Silverstone is they have had to keep adding bits here and there so it never really worked as well as other locations. The same is about to begin with Donny, adding lots of little extra bits here and there. No current British location is even close to other world standards but Silverstone is the closest, lets keep trying to save that instead of throwing it away at Donington.

Permabanned
I'm glad that the British GP has moved to Donnington though as Silverstone is just too far for people who live further up north to attend on any reasonable budget.
There is only about 60 miles in it so it's hardly a deal breaker. It's actually cheaper to get to Silverstone for most people both in the UK and from overseas. Still, as long as you're ok. :D

Capodecina
Soldato
Is Donington Park really going to be the British F1 venue for 2010?

The sign-off for Donington Park’s redevelopment plan has been delayed by its local district council – raising fresh doubts about the venue's readiness to stage the British Grand Prix in 2010.
Planning approval was expected this month, but North West Leicestershire District Council has postponed its decision until 27 January in order to carry out a full environmental impact assessment.
"There is no question that Donington's ability to stage the race will be jeopardised by this delay to the planning procedure" a spokesman told the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=44640
Somehow, I just can't see it happening the year after next.

Back
Top Bottom