Dell slots in 24-inch widescreen S2409W LCD monitor

Associate
Yep, most films/movies are shot at a ratio of 1.85:1, which is slightly wider than 16:9 = 1.78:1 = HDTV, with the rest usually being shot at the wider ratio of 2.35:1.

Unless you are watching HDTV TV or content shot on a HDTV camera (which will _eventually_ end up being what most films/movies are shot on), you are going to get some form of black bars (which don't bother me at all) on a 16:9 screen.

I need my vertical pixels too; if someone made a 4:3 LCD/TFT panel with 1600 pixels on the vertical (would be 2134 pixels wide) and priced it inbetween a 1.6:1 30" (2560x1600) panel and a 24" (1920x1080) panel, I would definitely get one.

I think 16:9 PC monitors are No swearing please!

Soldato
I need my vertical pixels too; if someone made a 4:3 LCD/TFT panel with 1600 pixels on the vertical (would be 2134 pixels wide) and priced it inbetween a 1.6:1 30" (2560x1600) panel and a 24" (1920x1080) panel, I would definitely get one.

I think 16:9 PC monitors are *******...

seconded on both counts, a 4:3 monitor that size would be awesome for coding.

Soldato
if the height's so important for coding (I don't know, I don't code) wouldn't you be better off looking for a widescreen (either 16:9 or 16:10) with a pivot stand? I've got a 17" 5:4 turned 90* for web use next to my 20.1" WS for gaming.

Associate
This 16:9 monitor is not a good idea at all. As already pointed out your'll still get boarders at the top and bottom when viewing most films, if not all. Plus monitors are 16:10 for a reason - it's a lot better suited for there purpose.
Thats why they did not use 16:9 in the first place.

This screen just seems like a really cheap way of saving money by making a 24" monitor with less pixels and vertical screen area than a normal 16:10 monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Some people are missing the point.

Of course it's a good idea.
It's an absolutely EXCELLENT idea for the purpose for which it is intended.

This monitor is designed to better facilitate movie display and PS3 display than standard PC monitors and that is why it has the specified resolution. Not only that, but it is priced very attractively indeed and it will sell like hot cakes to its intended market.

Regarding borders (not boarders!), the simple fact is that, for it's primary purpose, it will have considerably less wasted screen space than standard PC resolutions, which are, as is obvious, not optimised for TV type resolutions.

This screen IS so optimised - a very intelligent move by Dell.

Caporegime
if the height's so important for coding (I don't know, I don't code) wouldn't you be better off looking for a widescreen (either 16:9 or 16:10) with a pivot stand? I've got a 17" 5:4 turned 90* for web use next to my 20.1" WS for gaming.

Then it would be impractical for anything else. Height is very important for typing anything and office work, but especially coding, because you never get anywhere near the end of the page width so with a widescreen monitor almost the entire screen area gets wasted.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Holy hell! I think I will stick with a Dell...hopefully this new one once it's released :D After reading about 30 pages of that thread, it's definately not a monitor I would like to risk buying :p

Most the problems in that thread were early on.

I'd still rather get the Digimate/Yuraku, TN's are just annoying, however it's gonna depend on the Dell price, if the Dell is the same price as the Digimate/Yuraku it's a no-brainer to get the superior MVA.

Soldato
Interesting product i thought, price will make it a huge seller combined with its decent specs, branding and warrenty.

Point most of you are forgetting is that 16:10 was originally developed for the use of dual A4 display capability. Of course this works well in a professional type desktop enviroment but with the entertainment/gaming industry all going 1080p its perfect for entertainment including console games.

Good move on Dells part to include:

1x VGA
1x DVI
1X HDMI

This way you could easily connect a console and PC

Soldato
This 16:9 monitor is not a good idea at all. As already pointed out your'll still get boarders at the top and bottom when viewing most films, if not all. Plus monitors are 16:10 for a reason - it's a lot better suited for there purpose.
Thats why they did not use 16:9 in the first place.

This screen just seems like a really cheap way of saving money by making a 24" monitor with less pixels and vertical screen area than a normal 16:10 monitor.

Nothing wrong with 16:9 at all, for years many of us have used LCD TVs or Plasmas, even Projectors with a desktop set to 720p or 1080p resolutions.

Movies filmed in a 2:35/2:40 21:9 widscreen aspect are common but thats the movie industry, doesnt matter if your watching on a 200" projection screen youll stiull have borders. Though many films and these days TV are still the 1:85 aspect ratio that fills 16:9 screens.

Last edited:
Associate
looks like a good display for the ps3/ xbox 360 if you don't want a massive lcd tv

ocuk have it on preorder for £234.99 inc VAT which is a good price and i'm tempted to get one for alongside my 22" monitor for playing 360 and ps3 on it

Associate
This looks like a very good choice for console and multimedia use for the price. The problem with the Yuraku/Digimate is that it doesn't do 16:9 or 1:1 pixel mapping which makes it suck for consoles, unless you like stretching.

Badass: I for one would be interested in a review of one of these or another similar monitor using the same panel in case it is actually a bargain for 720p/1080p gaming and films. Unless you know of a 1920x1200 screen with VGA/DVI/HDMI that does 16:9 (with good scaling) and/or 1:1 pixel mapping that's similarly priced and a reasonable or better quality monitor.

Soldato
Associate
Ordered one of these this evening.

I don't game very much and when I do its on a JVC HD100. However the JVC is 1080p and a secondary display for day time use is a pain when dealing with 1200p. Therefore I very much welcome the introduction of 1080p monitors, especially at around £210 for a 24".

The AU panel isn't the best out there for such things but from reports I've read, the black level and brightness are OK and the colour accuracy is good. In a sea of average LCD's this one manages to stick its head of water for my application.

Back
Top Bottom