First Overclock Advice

Associate
Hi guys,

Just been doing my first overclock with a Q6600 and I appear to have my system stable @ 3GHz following this "guide": http://pc-guides.net/guides/q6600_oc_X38.html .

I'm still a bit unsure as to what it all means, so am just after advice for the next step. I currently have the FSB at 333Mhz and a 9x multiplier. Would the next step be to up the FSB? Will I need to change any voltages? If I do, any idea what these would be called in my BIOS (There are loads of different voltage settings in there - Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45)?

Here are my specs:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45
Thermalright TRUE Black 120 CPU Cooler with push/pull fans
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2

Thanks, Rob

Soldato
You might have to change the multiplier if you wanted a higher overclock i.e. 400x8 = 3.2Ghz.

But for the moment keep raising the FSB in 5mhz increments raising the CPU voltage a notch if it conks out. You got your hands on Orthos or Prime95 yet?

Associate
OP
Yeah, i tested the 3GHz with prime 95.

What do you mean by "conks out"? lol. do you mean it won't even POST? Or do you mean that it will fail on Prime 95? Is the voltage I want to raise the CPU V-droop (think its called that in the bios)?

Shall I keep incrementing the FSB by 5Mhz, see what max I can get, then lower the multiplier and see what max I can get with the multiplier at 8x?

Also, when does memory timing come in? Or is that after I've got the max I can get out of the CPU?

Thanks for your help

Soldato
Sorry conks out means to me either it fails to post or freezes when stability testing.

You want to raise the CPU voltage in the BIOS, yeah keep raising the FSB until it doesn't want to go anymore no matter how much you raise the voltage. If you hit an FSB wall you could change the multiplier if need be.

As for memory timings for your kit they should be 5-5-5-18, which are pretty loose you can leave them as it might allow for better clocking. Tighter timings such as 4-4-4-12 might limit your ability to clock. Probably better to leave them for now until you've tested the CPU a bit more, make sure you keep the memory speed close to its stock speed of 800mhz using a divider.

Back
Top Bottom