Ubuntu Share Problem

Soldato
Hi guys :)

I have a odd problem if i right click and go to sharing options and share out a local folder, I am able to access this from my other machines. However if i do the same on a folder sitting on a usb drive I can see the folder name but cant gain access to it. I am using the guest account as it is only myself who will be accessing these files.

I don't think this method of sharing it using samba as none of my shares are in the samba conf file any help guys?

Thanks Kevin

Soldato
Probably not related to your issue, but when I last used Ubuntu I couldn't get it to see any of my shares. I had to do it all via IP address, I think it was version 8.04.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I concur about the permissions. To test it you might try manually mounting the volume in a directory on your desktop, a place you're sure to own. Don't prepend the mount command with sudo to be sure that you own everything, not root.

You might also try placing simlinks to the data on the disk in a directory you own that's already working as a share.

Associate
The Samba configuration file /etc/samba/smb.conf is also really simple to understand. Just type sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf into a terminal and it will open in GEdit, allowing you to modify the settings to meet your needs.

Associate
The Samba configuration file /etc/samba/smb.conf is also really simple to understand. Just type sudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf into a terminal and it will open in GEdit, allowing you to modify the settings to meet your needs.

+1 for getting to grips with the configuration file for Samba (for serving shares) - it is a lot easier for you in the long run. I have a lot of external HDs so I can keep a copy of this (smb.conf) between Ubuntu/Mint installs. The man pages for this file and samba are very helpful.

Also don't forget to check out:
Samba Homepage
if you really get stuck!!

Bob

Associate
Here's my archived smb.conf (working I think :D) master:
Code:
[global]
workgroup = argyle-street
server string = Rob's Dual-Opteron Server
dns proxy = no
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 10000
syslog = 0
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
security = user
guest account = nobody
invalid users = root
usershare allow guests = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
guest ok = yes

[Operating Systems]
	comment = Blah Blah (shows up when browsing the share in Windows)
	path = /media/SG 750Gb (06)/Operating Systems
	writeable = No
	browseable = yes
	guest ok = yes

Do remember to check out your Samba log files and firewall settings/logs!!

BTW what are the mount permissions/ownership for that external drive?

Bob

Back
Top Bottom