Disgusted with PC Builder

I don't know who the guy is personally, but my grandpa (who has been staying with us this weekend) bought a PC off this guy 3 years ago, which didn't come with any CDs for installing OS/drivers and now the version of XP on there has come up with the black background and genuine advantage thing.

Now I'm no angel when it comes to these things, but I have never and would never sell a PC on to someone with a pirated version of Windows especially with the person assuming it was all fine and legal. Especially not an 85 or so year-old who has no chance of understanding anything about this.

I told my grandpa to put the address of the guy in the validation thing (where you have to pay £95) and hope he gets some form of fine.

My grandfather is on a pension and doesn't have £95 to spend on a legal OS (so I'm trying to get him sorted with a new copy of Windows 7 when it is released).

At the very least though £65 or so for XP Home is what I'll have to do, not to mention travelling all the way to Lancashire to sort out the blasted thing!

Sorry for the rant but had to vent! :(

Soldato
So let me get this right. Your 85 year old grandfather has been ripped off, blatantly I might add, and is now screwed? :mad: :( I'm in Lancashire mate - sod driving up from Kent specially. Email in trust.

So let me get this right. Your 85 year old grandfather has been ripped off, blatantly I might add, and is now screwed? :mad: :( I'm in Lancashire mate - sod driving up from Kent specially. Email in trust.

The computer is still working, so will leave it running as is for the time being (just has that annoying message at the bottom). I will wait a couple of months for 7 to be released then I'll rethink it.

Thanks for the offer too, may well speak to my grandfather about it and will contact you if necessary :)

Soldato
I know of a local independent pc shop based on a High Street that sells components for oxirbitant prices e.g. dvd writers for £50 that can be bought online for £20 who also build systems for people and 'adds value' to them by installing cracked copies of XP, Office, Adobe software etc. Unbeknown to me, a friend bought a pc from them which included these extras and when i went with him to get his money back, an argument ensued with the shop owner. Instead of apologising he made out we were ungrateful ******** and after much shouting, eventually threw my friend's money onto the floor in front of him, minus his labour costs of £200. We had to threaten him with legal action before that £200 was refunded, again onto the floor. Made me sick.

Soldato
I know of a local independent pc shop based on a High Street that sells components for oxirbitant prices e.g. dvd writers for £50 that can be bought online for £20 who also build systems for people and 'adds value' to them by installing cracked copies of XP, Office, Adobe software etc. Unbeknown to me, a friend bought a pc from them which included these extras and when i went with him to get his money back, an argument ensued with the shop owner. Instead of apologising he made out we were ungrateful ******** and after much shouting, eventually threw my friend's money onto the floor in front of him, minus his labour costs of £200. We had to threaten him with legal action before that £200 was refunded, again onto the floor. Made me sick.

i hope you reported him...

Soldato
I'm afraid that practice is all too common with some of the Mom 'N' Pop back-street setups. There are some very good ones around, so it would be unfair to tar them all with the same brush, but, installing the same 'probably' pirated copy of Windows onto lots of machines and selling them, often with other pirated software (that the customer pays a 'bargain' price for of course) isn't all that unusual.

If only people new what to look for, they could so easily avoid this and put these crooks out of business before they even start ...but most don't have a clue so are relatively easy prey.

Man of Honour
Put LinuxMint or PCLinuxOS on your Grandad's machine, with a bit of tweaking you can make it look like XP and he will never know!:p Travel would be a bitch though.

As for the original PC builder, what a clown using a dodgy Windows license.

Soldato
That might only get you an upgrade license though, no-one is quite sure at the moment. You might want to take a look at this thread before buying Windows 7 right now. All that does seem reasonably certain is that those who have already pre-ordered will get a full retail version, weather it's the E version or not.

I don't think Microsoft quite know yet. But if the E version is scrapped and they simply do a World Wide version, you won't get a full retail copy that cheap, they'll bring the pricing inline with the rest of the world and that'll be more likely an upgrade price.

Food for thought anyway, I'd say it's worth asking some of the retailers doing the offers.

Soldato
but who knows what spec this machine is? we've already established the guy who sold it is a cowboy. it might be some hunk of junk even though it is only 3 years old. it might not even be capable of running windows 7.

Back
Top Bottom