Grit lorries

Permabanned
Just passed a grit lorry on my way home, much to my frustration as my front bumper has just been resprayed. But this wasn't the usual showering, it was like he was spreading bloody ballast!

I observed much harder grit than usual on my remaining journey, making one hell of a racket as it smashed into my plastic arch liners - much worse than normal.

It seems it was thicker, perhaps grit/sand after the rock salt shortages? I found "splats" on my bumper the size of 1Ps, but no obvious damage, although, I imagine any damage won't be obvious until its light tomorrow.

It also doesn't help that it seemed to be going pretty damned fast too.

Anyone have any experience of this? Is there any basis for complaint and/or compensation if any damage resulted from a grit lorry? Especially if they were potentially using something other than rock salt?

Man of Honour
Nothing you can do. I had the same thing going up the M5 on Friday.

On the way back I was just about to pass a gritter when its orange lights started to flash. I shifted down and nailed it past :D

Soldato
Are they using brine now? I'm convinced I drove past a brine spreader last night. A large amount of water hit the car as I drove past an oncoming truck. To be honest it gave me a heck of a fright, was on an unlit section of road which was totally covered in snow, made a hell of a noise when it hit combined with suddenly not seeing anything at all out of the screen.
It wasn't just spray though, I'd passed loads of other trucks with no spray, and in the light there were salty white streaks all over the car, up the bonnet and the roof too.

Associate
if there were big splats it might have been one of the newer ones that mix water in with the rock salt so it works better, but sometimes it clumps and you get massive clumps flung out.

Caporegime
Hey, you know, they could just not bother and then you could post threads about how you skidded on ice and crashed into a ditch. Thats much more convinient than a bit of grit spraying your lovely paintwork very occasionally.

Some people.

Associate
All "grit" is salt on the roads and yes, most gritters will be running pre-wet brine mixes currently.

HA has put us onto a limit of 10g/m2 which isnt very high so there shouldnt be a huge amount of clumped or solid material around.

This goes for the main trunk routes and Northamptonshire specifically. I cannot confirm for other areas or local spreading by councils.

Caporegime
And a Norfolk company has been selling crushed dishwasher tablets to help meet customer demand.
lol wtf? wouldnt they just disolve.

cat litter would obviously work because it absorbs a lot of mositure/water and its going to have a lot of friction even frozen, but dishwasher tablets wtf?

Caporegime
salt raises the temprature water freezes at though :p

how am i suposed to know dishwasher tablets contain aparently some salt!

Associate
The site manager at work sent a message round asking anyone to buy as much dishwasher powder and salt as possible and people would be reimbursed. Dread to think how much it cost to grit the car park :o

Back
Top Bottom