Aaarghh pot hole damge.

Soldato
Was coming back from a days shopping yesterday in the wife's car, going road a bend, it was dark on an unlit NSL road and ran over a huge pothole.
The car made a loud sickening banging thud, straight away afterwards the car started making a knocking sound so I new something had happened.
It's bent the alloy wheel and done some other damge.
I went back later last night to take pictures as it's a fairly busy road and thought I'd never get chance during the day and my god it's huge, I thought if someone on a motorbike hits this they'll be killed so as soon I got back I rang up the councils highways dept.
I'm going to try and claim from the council for a new wheel and repairs but after a quick browse online seems it's very dubious they'll payout.
On the council website it says anything over 40mm is considered dangerous on a main road, this was 105mm.
I'll post some piccies and let you know how it progresses.

48 inches long (you can't make out the numbers but on the full size pictures I'll send to the council you can).

20 inches wide.

105mm deep

Damage to alloy.

Soldato
Sucks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who plans my journeys around how many potholes are along a particular route. Was in a freinds car the other day and he went over a pothole you could have literally hidden a breeze block in. This is on the west side of charing cross, not some back road.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
The unavoidable pot holes, crumbling verges and unmaintained hedges on my new daily commute are why I've decided to get rid of my Volvo (which I really like) and accept a company car.

Normally it would make better financial sense not to take the company car, but the daily damage I'm sustaining has changed this.

So I guess I'll be able to fit in in OcUK motors soon as I'll have a diesel Mondeo.

Associate
I've just had to replace a rear wheel hub on my Mondeo that's likely suffered damage due to all the pot holes round here. I don't feel I can blame the council for it though as they do seem to have crews out trying to repair all the recent road damage.

Soldato
Good luck mate. With the amount of tax and what not we pay they should keep the roads in better condition.

There is one near me at the end of a junction, when I stop to make sure it is clear I get stuck, it is like going up a massive kerb. Luckily being where it is I am never going fast.

Associate
Contact the council before you get anything repaired, if you pay to get it done you wont get your money back, its a waiting game and they'll try and draw it out to inconvience you the most

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I'd love to measure the massive ones we have on the motorway near here, but I think it'd be rather dangerous.
Instead of repairing the yawning chasms, they've just stuck up a 50mph limit :rolleyes:

Soldato
:eek: thats a huge pothole

Lucky to not get any like that round here, saying that went up to plymouth on monday though, there was some proper bigguns down there in the residential areas, I was having to go all over the road to avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom