Virtualbox trying to host CentOS 5.4 problems.

Associate
Hi,

I am looking at trying out CentOS and OpenVZ to get a feel for them before possibly hiring a server and splitting it to share the cost with others.

To this end I have installed virtual box on my Win7 desktop and am trying to get CentOS installed as a guest OS.

The 64bit DVD does not get past the network check when booting.
The 32bit DVD installs but then just hangs after trying to uncompress the vmlinux.img (uncompresing message comes up then clears screen with static cursor in top left of the screen).

I have verified the install images with no issues.

The host OS is set as Redhat 32bit (for the 32bit CentOS install) as I read CentOS is based on Redhat.

Any ideas or is there a better light 'master' linux distro which may be better suited and work well with either OpenVZ or other, pref free, virtualization software.

Just to note, I have installed Unbuntu in the past and had no issues both on machines and on virtual box.

Cheers
RB

Associate
The x64 install - checking for network is not a critical point of the system initialisation... can you switch consoles at all (alt+F2 for example). Does it give an error? How long have you left it?

The x86 install - sounds like problems with your [virtual] hardware and the config of the initrd. Try changing the HDD controller type to something else.

BTW, RH/CentOS does work in VB.

Associate
OP
I have just got it installed and booting by not changing any of the components to install at all.

Now I have to strip out the stuff I don't want for this base OS and then grab the server and VZ packages via the package manager....

No real problem but just a shame I cannot straight install what I want from the install options without the install failing to start after it finishes :confused:.

Ahh, the joys of Linux (and possibly VB) :D.

Thanks for the reply .walls

Cheers
RB

Soldato
Are you able to contact the internet at all from your x86_64 version of CentOS now that it's installed? Generally I've found it necessary to switch the networking component over to "bridged" instead of "NAT" to get a usable network connection during install.

Associate
OP
Hi Garp,

I managed to get the 32bit CentOS insalled but still have the same issues with the 64bit version.

I have just set the network adapter to bridged and it seems to be installing the 64bit version now.

Hopefully that has it sorted.

Thanks Garp

RB

Soldato
I've been running 64bit RHEL5.4 (so basically CentOS) under Virtualbox on top of 32bit XP Pro (work machine :rolleyes:) since it came out without any major issues so it should work (although I think to run a virtualised 64bit OS under a 32bit OS you need Intel-VT support on your CPU and Bios?)

We tend to run a lot of different linux's under Virtualbox when we are trying stuff (read playing). We tend to find:

- Use Bridged or Internal only networking
- Configure the VM with one of the Intel lan card options
- Don't try and be clever with disk configuration ... if you have issues reset to basic IDE.
- If you are in a corporate environment don't forget you may need to configure the linux OS in the VM to use a web proxy.
- whilst its possible to get ESXi running under Virtualbox it tends to hang if you then try and install RHEL under it (yes I was bored the other day)

Associate
- whilst its possible to get ESXi running under Virtualbox it tends to hang if you then try and install RHEL under it (yes I was bored the other day)

6247xzibit.jpg

So I hear you like hypervisors....

Soldato
haa ^^^ :D

I thought of trying Esx inside a VM once, but then I found something better to do :p I keep meaning to get hold of a cheap box with suitable hardware to try it out sometime.

Soldato
So I hear you like hypervisors....

:D ... I was bored and it was either play with that or do documentation whilst I was waiting for a colleague to get the point where we could set up DRBD between two VMs (one on each of our laptops) and document the configuration steps (for something at work).

It wasa bit of a pain as VirtualBox only wanted to give the VM a maximum of 1.5GB and the software needed 2.0GB ... had to change the memory allocation via vboxmanage each time anything was changed in the settings GUI as it reset.

Associate
OP
Well it is all more or less working.

Virtual box hosting CentOS 5.4 which is hosting (OpenVZ) CentOS 5.4 & Ubuntu 9 & Debian.

VBox CentOS can ssh to all OpenVZ VPS's as can my Win7 machine via their own internal ip addresses.

Ubuntu template for OpenVZ had a bug with the networking (interfaces file format issue) and setting up the ssh keys / internal network addresses and routing finally got sorted.

Need to work on hardening all instances, getting LAMP / torrent and possibly VPN working. Might even look at clustering :D.

Why all this VMs on VM's. Well looking to rent and share a server and gaining knowledge on installation, of Host and VPS OS's including VPS applications and getting them running with dedicated IP addresses and monitoring the VPS's from the host OS.

Lots of reading.

Cheers
RB

Permabanned
Virtualbox trying to host CentOS 5 4 problems

i dont like samba share shouldnt it just work just from the internet connection

is there a way to do it without samba share remember the printer isnt compatible with linux only the windows desktop that im running in virtualbox

Back
Top Bottom