• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So OCUK, how's the sale of 5xxx cards been since Friday?

Associate
I suspect it's been fairly high. I bought a 5870 yesterday along with another dude. Also at the beginning of the day, it showed 10+ Asus 5850's in stock, by the end of the day they were out of stock. I wonder how many pre-orders have been taken for Fermi? That's not a dig btw it's a serious question.

Soldato
I want to step up a bit from my 5870, so was considering various Fermi configurations but even if the 470 was the same price as the 5850, dual 5850s still come out top on heat and power. Bad Nvidia, bad.

Soldato
I got my gigabyte 5850 last year for £190 iirc, glad I bought it when I did, also there still appears to an availablity problem for all ati cards atm but the 5770 seem to be readily available though. I expect the topend cards will have a run on them next week.

Associate
Glad I got my Sapphire HD5970 back in February. Been very pleased with it. Kept wandering 'what if' about Fermi, now i know. Right choice for me.

Soldato
Just because it makes more sense buying ATI cards, it doesn't mean people are bashing Fermi. It's just how it is with competition.

It's also a valid question and I'm interested myself how ATI sales have been affected. I imagine a lot of people were waiting for the results to see which card to buy so it'd be interesting to see what they finally opted for.

Associate
Agreed, my last three cards were all Nvidia, this time I felt the 5970 was the best option. I'm really pleased with it and this is not Fermi bashing at all.

Regards
Fred

Associate
Just because it makes more sense buying ATI cards, it doesn't mean people are bashing Fermi. It's just how it is with competition.
Exactly. I've switched between ATi and nVidia since the Riva TNT days and hold no loyalty to either. However, I have taken a dislike to nVidia's business practices as of late and tend to stick to ATi where reasonable. As soon as nVidia stops behaving in an anti-competitive manner then I'll happily consider their cards but even so they're simply not competitive at the moment.

Associate
Actually I take it back. I was actually really hungover when I replied. :D

It's really boring reading the same stuff about how hot/costly/hungry Fermi is etc. That said there is no way in hell I'm gonna get a stock air cooled GTX480 now. Roll on the EVGA HC ***! It shall be mine.. Oh yes.

And

And

Associate
I picked up a 5770 a few weeks ago. Best card for what I had to spend overall. Probably still is though will be interested to see how the other 4** series cards from Nv stack up.

cheers
A

Back
Top Bottom