Poll: Do you support the BA Cabin Crew 12 day strike at Christmas?

Do you support the BA Cabin Crew 12 day strike?

• Yes

Votes: 94 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 656 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Are you suggesting that employment law shouldn't apply to management? That's the only way someone could be 'brought to account' for an error only visible in hindsight but fully supported at the time...

Fair point, I'd expect some sort of action to be taken on a bunch of people or individuals that wiped out 100's of millions of pounds in profit that the rest of the workforce have to suffer because of.

I wouldn't then expect that indivdual to get 1.2 million as a bonus payment for being a **** up.

Man of Honour
Fair point, I'd expect some sort of action to be taken on a bunch of people or individuals that wiped out 100's of millions of pounds in profit that the rest of the workforce have to suffer because of.

Unless they have severance clauses in their contracts, there isn't that much that can be done, apart from negative impacts on bonuses and pay rises.

I wouldn't then expect that indivdual to get 1.2 million as a bonus payment for being a **** up.

Surely that would depend on what the established criteria had been for bonuses?

Did the $120 hedge mean that department met their budget target, even if they didn't do as well as they could have done... For example, a target of 'limit increases in the fuel budget' would have been met as a result of buying the fuel at $120 a barrel, and given the general direction of fuel prices, would have made a lot of sense at the time...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Unite votes to fine its members due to BA strike action...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8593516.stm

Presumably it's ok though, because the bully is 'on the workers side'...

That's not a fine at all. You really have no idea how Unions work do you?

For example, we have set up a hardship fund for our members to support those who would be in severe financial difficulty if they took strike action. We're currently up to £10k via a voluntary levy (I've spoken to Unite and thier levy is voluntary as well).

That's the whole idea of a Union - the collective supports the individual.

Man of Honour
That's not a fine at all. You really have no idea how Unions work do you?

For example, we have set up a hardship fund for our members to support those who would be in severe financial difficulty if they took strike action. We're currently up to £10k via a voluntary levy (I've spoken to Unite and thier levy is voluntary as well).

That's the whole idea of a Union - the collective supports the individual.

Because there is absolutely no history of bullying and intimidation within the 'collective' within the trade union movement?

They have changed the link however to remove the 'compulsory levy' statement that was there earlier in the day...

Soldato
They better not be on strike on Friday. Just booked a return flight to Geneva for the weekend to get 2 days on the slopes.

Their flights are pretty cheap at the moment. I am flying Club Class for the same price as cattle class with the other carriers. :D

Caporegime
16 quid an hour is very bad pay ?

It wouldn't be if it were a 9-5 job, but as ever figures are meaningless without analysis. I believe that they only get paid for when they are working on the plane - on average for something like 750 hours a year, which ties in with the basic annual pay of £12k pa. My contracted hours in a normal office job are 1725 a year, though of course it's easy for me to work a lot more than that, and I usually do. I hope it's obvious why it's difficult and not advantageous for cabin crew to do more hours than what they typically do.

Caporegime
ive got the wideload rear end that seems to be needed by cabin crew these days ;]

I'd quite like to see you as a trolley dolly on one of our flights. It's incredible how often they are attacked or verbally abused on a flight. The police are called pretty much every day to one of our inbound flights.

I'd quite like to see the reaction when you got called a **** sucking fag :D

Soldato
£16 ph plus all the perks they get makes these strikes all the more shocking. My politics are left of center but I am not a fan of the unions. The fact that Derek Simpson gets a free £800k house until he dies makes me smile. Unions at ground level are a good idea but it's seems like the higher you get the more greedy/corrupt you get.

I know it's an old cliché but there are plenty of people out there who'd cut their right arms off for £16 ph and those perks, though in all fairness they'd have a hell of a job serving drinks.

Caporegime
I know it's an old cliché but there are plenty of people out there who'd cut their right arms off for £16 ph and those perks, though in all fairness they'd have a hell of a job serving drinks.

Then they should apply the training departments are pretty much always looking for applicants.

I'm pretty sure that basic rate is higher than many of the aircraft mechanics I know and none of them would want to swap jobs with cabin crew. I think I'd want to shoot the passengers myself If I had to do that job for a week.

Soldato
Then they should apply the training departments are pretty much always looking for applicants.

I'm pretty sure that basic rate is higher than many of the aircraft mechanics I know and none of them would want to swap jobs with cabin crew. I think I'd want to shoot the passengers myself If I had to do that job for a week.

And they get pretty well compensated for what they do. I wonder if they could earn £30k+ a year elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom