Not impressed with my connection

Associate
Hi there, I have recently moved house so I had to get a new ISP. I was previously with virgin on the 20meg line but as it is not available in my new area i plumed for O2.

I went for the premium pack as i was told i should get around 10meg according to infor from BT. In reality though i am getting between 1.5 & 2.5!!!

Does that seem right? Seems really bad for what i thought i might get, i expected it to be lower than 10mg maybe 7 or something but 1.5 to 2.5?:(

I am in London also so i expected a decent BT line but i guess not. Shall i call up O2 and see what they say?

Associate
Also most ISP's now advertise thier services as "Up to" that way if you subscribe to a 10 meg service and only get 1.5 they usualy will not put a lot of effort into getting it faster as they are giving you what they advertised.

I actualy had an isp here refuse to let us sign up for a service because they did not feel they could supply a fast enough speed to our house to justify the expense of the package we wanted. (it was a 25 meg package with a free laptop but thier tests showed a max expected speed of 2meg to us)

Last edited:
Associate
Also most ISP's now advertise thier services as "Up to" that way if you subscribe to a 10 meg service and only get 1.5 they usualy will not put a lot of effort into getting it faster as they are giving you what they advertised.
The estimate was for 10mb on an up-to 24mb service, based on a rough guess at line length.

Again to the OP you'll need to provide line stats from your modem/router, ensuring it's plugged into the master socket with no dodgy extensions/ring wire.

Associate
OP
Right had a look at the info in that link and here is the data you guys are after:-

Uptime: 1 day, 4:37:14

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 975 / 1,618

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.5 / 48.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 12.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 12 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 21 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 40,681 / 363,879

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 40,681 / 318

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 8,666 / 234

Hopefully that all mean something to you

Soldato
There is defo an issue with your line there,

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 12 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0

These don't look good and errors on the line for such a low line speed.

you should atleast be getting 5 to 6mb

Is the router plugged into the test socket and ring wire removed, plenty of help on google with these.

Soldato
Connect your modem to the test socket;

Testsocket2.jpg

Aslo, how is your phone line all wired up? Do you have other extensions/phones?

Associate
OP
Right guys i called O2 today. Low and behold i did a speedtest before i called and i was on 2meg. Then i called them and i was getting 5.5-6 while i was on the phone to them. I couldnt believe it.

So after i finished on the phone i thought i'd have another go, back down to 2.5 ffs!

Must have called them at a good time.

I will try the test socked, I am already plugged into the master socket. It is only my modem plugeed into that, my phone uses the socket in the lounge and that is all we have connected.

Associate
OP
Just to add, plugged it into the test socket and still not much better. There were no wires attached to the connections on the faceplate either like i thought there might be for the other sockets in the flat.

Associate
Just to add, plugged it into the test socket and still not much better. There were no wires attached to the connections on the faceplate either like i thought there might be for the other sockets in the flat.

That being the case I would look around and make sure you don't have another master sitting somewhere.

Stupid as it sounds it would not be the first time I have seen a master socket used for an extention.

I used to see them all the time when i was working for NTL

Soldato
Interesting that you got a better connection while on the phone, and poor when hung up. This may suggest a line fault. When the phone is off hook, there is extra voltage flowing through the line, which can temporarily heal a bad joint.

Try it again, take phone off hook, reboot router and see what connection speed is. Hang up, reboot and compare.

Associate
here's mine:
DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 8:41:53
Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,239 / 7,709
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 9.28 / 42.19
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 43.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 8.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 241 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 22 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 742 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 41 / 28,412
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 41 / 798
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 72,441 / 453

It could be a problem with the wiring before your master socket Check it out to the point where the BT cable enters the property

Associate
OP
The plot thickens.

Noticed that when you pick up the phone reciver my connection drops out, when it comes back with the phone still of the hook i have 5.5 - 6 Mbps connection.

When i replace the receiver the connection drops again and when it comes back it is back down to 1.5 - 2 Mbps.

One thing i have noticed is that there are no wires connected to the rear of the master socket front bezel. I was expecting the extension ring to be wired to this.

BTW its not my flat (i'm renting) so don't flame me for bad wiring lol.

Associate
Find the first socket in the line, the one that the BT cables goes into first. Who ever installed the sockets around the flat must have used Master sockets for extensions.

Once you find the master socket, try the test socket, if you see an improvement, check all the internal wiring and if you havent already, remove the ring wire.

Soldato
The plot thickens.

Noticed that when you pick up the phone reciver my connection drops out, when it comes back with the phone still of the hook i have 5.5 - 6 Mbps connection.

When i replace the receiver the connection drops again and when it comes back it is back down to 1.5 - 2 Mbps.

One thing i have noticed is that there are no wires connected to the rear of the master socket front bezel. I was expecting the extension ring to be wired to this.

BTW its not my flat (i'm renting) so don't flame me for bad wiring lol.

This is a symptom of a dodgy filter IIRC.
Have you tried another?

Associate
OP
I have tried both filters.

It is a new build flat with the master socket in the cupboard with the fuse box, i'd be very surpised if it isn't the master socket.

The phone is plugged into a socket in the lounge and its only the modem connected to the master socket in the cupboard (via its filter).

Soldato
I have tried both filters.

It is a new build flat with the master socket in the cupboard with the fuse box, i'd be very surpised if it isn't the master socket.

The phone is plugged into a socket in the lounge and its only the modem connected to the master socket in the cupboard (via its filter).

You're plugging both in with filters attached?

Back
Top Bottom