• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Just got a4890

Soldato
Ref my previous posts I just picked up a 4890 1gb vapor x for 120 I will be gaming at 1377 x768 with phenom 555 be have a made a good choice thanks

Soldato
But at lower res it will handle higher demand games better no?

For sure, in pretty much all games you will be getting excellent framerates.

I think the point Phatzy was making is that in many games, the framerate will be well above 60fps using a 4890 and a 1377 x768. Therefore, a good deal of this processing power is not used (the monitor can most likely only refresh at 60Hz).

Therefore, to make the most out of that card you would do well to upgrade the monitor to a higher resolution one as games will look better due to the greater detail that can be displayed and the power of the graphics card will be fully realised.

However, this is an extra purchase and will cost £100 - so an expensive decision, but perhaps something to think about.

Associate
There doesn't seem to be too many sh 5770 around at much less than new prices, and as im not a members market memebr yet can't buy from on here :(

Forgot to say, game at 1680x1050

Associate
it's hard to say. the 4890 is undoubtably faster, but the issue isn't quite as clear cut, as recent driver releases have pushed 5770s closer to the 4890 in terms of performance. Theyre still not as fast as the 4890, but are getting there

Personally I'd get a 5770. They run cooler/more efficient, are going to be better supported in the future, have DX11 and if needed you can get another for Crossfire.

4890s are quite rare now, so getting one at a decent price will be harder than ordering a new 5770

Soldato
Sorry for the hijack, but is a 4890 worth considering secondhand over a new 5770? For games such as BC 2?

As others have said, the 4890 is still a bit faster - but other factors make the 5770 the more desirable card now (price, heat, noise, power draw, DX11).

The other issue is with warranty, most new 5770s come with 2 years warranty (3 if you get an ASUS) - so if the card dies during this time you will get a replacement graphics card which is as fast or faster than the broken one.

In most cases (unless you have an arrangement with the seller) second-hand cards don't come with any warranty, so if they die- you are left with an interesting looking paperweight. Considering graphics cards are some of the hottest and most likely to fail parts of a system - I would suggest going for an option which prioritises warranty over pure power.

Associate
Don't forget how overclockable the 4890 is at 1000mhz vote it will annialate a 5770

I was considering that, I must admit, but remember that the 5770 overclocks to similar levels as the 4890, as well as doing so whilst using less power, running cooler and, as was said above, definitely having a warranty

Associate
Is the 5770 powerful enough to use dx11 though as the memory interface is half that of the 5870 and that struggles with dx11

I have not yet found a Directx11 game that my 5870 can't spank, with the exception of Metro 2033 (which spanks any and every graphics card due to it being badly implemented on the PC).

As to the memory bandwidth, with modern graphics cards you can't look at individual specs (such as memory bandwidth, number of stream processors etc) as the architecture on each card dictates how the resources are used.
The only way to really guage how good a card is by looking at benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom