• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Sandy Bridge Quad-Core Processor Tested

Associate
At this year's Computex event, some of the most unexpected exhibits were socket LGA1155 motherboards based on Intel 6-series chipsets, across the board, from virtually every major motherboard vendor. Unexpected, because it's been less than an year since released mainstream derivatives of the Nehalem/Westmere architectures that use the LGA1156 socket. LGA1155 will form the base for performance, mainstream, and value segments of processors based on the upcoming Sandy Bridge architecture, which is a generation successor of Nehalem. With so many motherboard vendors showing off their creations in release-grade conditions, it is obvious that engineering samples of processors to go with them are already on the loose and will land in some enthusiast's hands. It did, in the skillful hands of Coolaler, who wasted no time in putting it through a quick run through popular benchmarks.

Coolaler tested an LGA1155 quad-core processor operating at 2.5 GHz, which CPU-Z can't name but marks it as a Sandy Bridge engineering sample. Among the little that's known about this processor, is that it has a base clock speed of 100 MHz (Nehalem/Westmere processors use BClk of 133 MHz), which means that to achieve 2.5 GHz, it uses a multiplier value of 25. It has all the instruction sets of Westmere including SSE 4.2 and AES acceleration, but also features AVX (Advanced Vector Extensions), a successor to SSE 4.2 which expands the processor's number crunching abilities, and increases performance per MHz. The cache structure up to the second level is the same (32 KB L1I, 32 KB L1D, 256 KB /core L2), but uses a smaller L3 cache at 6 MB (compared to 8 MB on Lynnfield). HyperThreading technology provides the OS with 8 logical CPUs to deal with.

42ab.jpg

42b.jpg

42i.jpg

42h.jpg

The setup was aided with 4 GB of DDR3 memory and ATI Radeon HD 5800 series graphics. The processor crunched Super Pi 1M in 16.349 s, it scored 371 points in CPU Mark. In the multi-threaded Cinebench R11.5 benchmark, the 2.5 GHz chip scored a little under Core i7 860 (reference score). In the Everest CPU Queen, it's about as fast a Core i5 750 from what we could say, but in the Photoworxx test, it outperformed the Core i7 965 XE. In a separate set of tests run on the same hardware albeit in Windows XP, the processor was eight times faster than any other processor in the AES test (because of its native AES extensions), and edged the Core i7 965 XE in memory bandwidth despite having a narrower dual-channel DDR3 IMC.

42c.png

42e.png

42f.png

42g.png

While the results don't show a revolutionary processor, it is intended to be one. Right now it's eligible for the benefit of doubt. The real benefits will be for those models which come with embedded graphics, since the IGP and memory controller will be present on the same die, instead of the present design where the package is an MCM for two dies: CPU and northbridge. When Sandy Bridge releases is a subject of immense speculation. Since motherboard makers unveiled such mature designs of LGA1155 motherboards as early as in June 2010, a market release of the platform may not be too far away.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know it is early silicon but i expected them to be in the 3.5Ghz range at stock, you can see the voltage is 1V so it will be interesting if they are going for the "GREEN" type processor for mainstream, which to be honest is a sensible way to go. Now if they do will they give us the headroom to go and overclock with the chipset!! from what we have seen with x58 and p55 you can only assume that they will...so its win for the PC world consumer who thinks he is saving the planet and win for us who want to overclock and dont give a **** :)

Soldato
It's somewhat slower than I expected it to be actually, I never expected it to be revolutionary but I did expect it to punch a bit harder than it apparently does.

The Arrandale I7 620M in this laptop I am using now will crunch super-pi 1M in 13.6 seconds and it also has hardware AES acceleration.

Soldato
2.5ghz of quad core goodness with HT isnt bad on 1v though as already stated. Considering this is an ES, its likely that the retail chips will be able to do the same on a lower voltage. It looks like there shall be some real overclocking headroom with these which is always nice to see.

It's not revolutionary though, but at this stage nothing will be revolutionary until we start to see property IGP's on CPU's that can play games at reasonable settings.

tbh

tbh

Associate
At the moment I'm more excited about the power saving measures it will offer than any performance increases, would be nice to have a mobile CPU that doesn't heat my laptop up to the point where it's uncomfortable to have in my lap.

Should be some great CULV parts based on it also.

Soldato
I know it's early days but I'm quite excited by this. Glad I haven't splurged on an i7 system, believe me it's been difficult. :p
To be safe you should never upgrade ;)

You'll only feel betrayed and annoyed when newer and better chips come out less than a year later :eek:

Soldato
To be safe you should never upgrade ;)

You'll only feel betrayed and annoyed when newer and better chips come out less than a year later :eek:

Well yeah but you have to upgrade at some point :).

There's no doubt that, if you're still on Core2 then there's zero point upgrading to i5/i7 now, with the next generation around six months away.

Soldato
Well yeah but you have to upgrade at some point :).

There's no doubt that, if you're still on Core2 then there's zero point upgrading to i5/i7 now, with the next generation around six months away.

I agree. my q6600 has been good enough to give the i3/5/7 generation a miss. I will do my next upgrade with intels next CPU generation. Makes more sense, seeing any upgrade will require a new CPU, board and Ram.

Permabanned
no where near as good as i was expecting...its not as good as a i7 860 both at stock.
If thats all intel have to offer i thing AMD might be in with a good chance this time round.
Lets see what AMD's bulldozer offers.

Wow AMD keep catching people slipping... 1st nivida with fermi and maybe intel with sandy bridge.

Associate
Don't write Intel off yet.

For starters, it is better than Nehalem per clock. And it will most probably be more power efficient and overclock better too.

AMD has a lot of catching up to do as Phenom II is comparable to early Core 2 per clock. I do wish to see them outperforming Intel but IMO its very unlikely.

Not to mention that Intel will probably release either Six or Octa cores with Sandy Bridge

Soldato
I agree. my q6600 has been good enough to give the i3/5/7 generation a miss. I will do my next upgrade with intels next CPU generation. Makes more sense, seeing any upgrade will require a new CPU, board and Ram.

Pretty much what I'm doing at the moment, I have this 965BE which is preeety fast, so doubt I'll be upgrading until 2011 at least.

tbh

tbh

Associate
AMD has a lot of catching up to do as Phenom II is comparable to early Core 2 per clock. I do wish to see them outperforming Intel but IMO its very unlikely.

I would love for Bulldozer to outperform Sandy Bridge but I think it is quite unlikely, except for the integrated GPU of course which should destroy Intel's offering.

Back
Top Bottom