Overclocking I7 920 on Asus P6X58D-E

Fel

Fel

Associate
All my kit has arrived and is assembled (see sig) and now that it is running smoothly I want to start the scary business of overclocking.

CPU is running at stock 2.66Ghz (133.9 Bus x12 Multilpier) @ 1.2v.

RAM is currently running on auto @ 535 Mhz 8,8,8,24 timings although it is rated to 9,9,9,24 @ 800. Currently Set @ 1.5v

Temps - I have used the Noctua TMP that came with the NH-D14 and the CPU is @ 34c idle so i am pretty happy with the base temperature (unless anyone thinks it should be lower).

The question now is whether I try using the Turbo V software packaged with the mobo or start trying to understand the intricasies of the BIOS which look a lot scarier than the BIOS from my ageing Gigabyte board which i never attempted to overclock.

From the research i have done i am hoping get it to 4.0 Ghz.

Grateful for any comments or suggestions - especially anyone with experience of this board / cpu combo.

Soldato
always use the BIOS for ocing

and its fsb x multiplier - your speed

up the fsb in increments of 5 then boot and do a quick test eg intel burn or linx

what out for your other voltages. if you leave them on auto they may go a little to high

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Deffinatly use the bios, also if its new to you, take the time to read the manual, it may not help u as such, but i think it will to know where things are in what menu and stuff.

This quide is'nt for your mobo, but it will help to understand what needs changing and stuff

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

OK that wasn't so tough - I think I was being put off when pressing Auto and expecting to see a drop down menu of options - then reading the bit that said "type these figures manually".

I am running Prime95 on the Clunk step 1 to hit 3.36GHz. CPU temp is currently averaging 53c

So far so good ....

One thing to note - when i F10 to save and exit BIOS the PC immediately switches off (dramatically). Pressing the on-board power switch does not reboot and I am having to switch the PSU off at the back. It is a long way round my case so good job i have long arms :)

Last edited:

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Running Prime95 for an hour now and its averaging 53c/54c.

Going to reboot and make sure it starts ok.

3.8 tomorrow and maybe even 4.0.

Then who knows? :)

I have to say the Noctua cooler is very impressive - i could probably done better with the TIM application but it is probably 6 years since i have applied any to a CPU. Might even try putting my Zalman flower back onto the XP3200 using some of the Noctua TIM and see is i get some better temps.

Soldato
Is those temps the overall cpu temp from pc probe? or your average core temps. Its probably best to use Realtemp or coretemp to get your coretemps, as its far easier to go by core temps, anything under 80c on the cores and your good.

About the enter manually thing, i thought that myself, but you can use the +/- on the number pad on ur keyboard to raise/lower.

The sudden turn off, is'nt really a turn off, its the mobo just checking everything out, may do it a few times, it is scary when you don't expect it, but its nothing to worry about.

Oh and as i spoted on another thread u mentioned u read not to go over 1.25v on the vcore, don't worry you can, aslong as the cooler is good enough, the range u are safe to be in according to intel is this 0.800V-1.375V, so deffinatly best to stay below that max, for both temps and longevity.

Last edited:

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
We are getting there i have pushed the CPU voltage up to 1.25 and the pc has posted at 3.8Ghz. Going to download RealTemp and see what that says versus Probe.

I am a little frustrated by the Memok button to be honest - but I am encouraged by the fact that the PC is now running at 3.8 at 63c.

Can I push up the CPU voltage on the CPU now to achieve 4.0Ghz?

Haha - i am finding this more interesting than BF2 :)

Soldato
That sounds ok for overal cpu temp, but yeh disregard pc probes cpu temp, its using a diff sensor and taking overall cpu temp.

When stress testing its best to go by core temps, with realtemp/coretemp, that and its easier for us to say thats to hot or what not lol.

Iv actully not even bothered with the mem ok button myself, as my memory is running in spec, you really only have to use the mem ok button if u can't get it to boot, as it will set the memory to beable to run, allowing u to get back into the bios.

And yup keep testing, you can comfortable go upto 1.375v aslong as temps are fine, not like u will need to but yeh lol. Don't forget to stress test each time.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
OK Real Temp installed and showing temp on all 4 Cores - running average of 63c.

Will leave running overnight and see what i find in the morning.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
That sounds ok for overal cpu temp, but yeh disregard pc probes cpu temp, its using a diff sensor and taking overall cpu temp.

When stress testing its best to go by core temps, with realtemp/coretemp, that and its easier for us to say thats to hot or what not lol.

Iv actully not even bothered with the mem ok button myself, as my memory is running in spec, you really only have to use the mem ok button if u can't get it to boot, as it will set the memory to beable to run, allowing u to get back into the bios.

And yup keep testing, you can comfortable go upto 1.375v aslong as temps are fine, not like u will need to but yeh lol. Don't forget to stress test each time.

Sorry missed your update before i posted. The memok is preventing the PC booting when least expected - so I think i just need to get more familiar with its behaviour. Hopefully Prime95 @3.8 will be successful overnight.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Yes Hyperthreading is on.

PC hybernated last night so I did not get full Prime run in. I have now disabled Power-saving.

Have noticed issues trying to wake it up from hybernation but I will monitor that and post in another thread - basically it seems to need a hard boot and then the memok check takes forever before finally loading.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Managed to run Prime95 stable for 1.5 hours with @ 3.8Ghz (181 x 21)

Max Temps 71/70/69/67

Idle Temps 36/36/39/35

CPU @1.25v
Ram @ 1.65v (9,9,9,24)

Hyperthreading on

Guess i should now be pushing for 4.0 Ghz

Last edited:
Associate
I am in the process of overclocking my i7 920 to 3.8ghz
cpu @ 1.21
qpi @ 1.21
Ram @ 1.66v (9,9,9,24)

Hyperthreading on

i just need some help i want to run prime95 over night to check overclock
what should i set prime to run for best stabilty check? on small fft, large or blend
also is overnight ie 8 hours enough time to check my oc?

Soldato
Managed to run Prime95 stable for 1.5 hours with @ 3.8Ghz (181 x 21)

Max Temps 71/70/69/67

Idle Temps 36/36/39/35

CPU @1.25v
Ram @ 1.65v (9,9,9,24)

Hyperthreading on

Guess i should now be pushing for 4.0 Ghz

Nice temps Fel, that cooler certainly is a beast, yeh might aswell aim for 4ghz+ now, but the volts may have to go abit higher, and with that the temps, but aslong as u are under 80c all is well.

On a side not what bios version are you using? as i noticed you have your memory @ 1.65v, i can't choose that only 1.64 or 1.66v, im on bios 0108, think i may just update when i next can as i notice the newest states better memory compatability.

And yeh certainly looks like he is enjoying himself, you can now take overclocking noob outa your sig fel, haha.

Iv had mine upto 4.6ghz with HT on, but the temps where abit to high for my liking stupid summer lol.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Yeah correction on the RAM voltage it is at 1.66v - and BIOS version is 0108.

Just pushed it up to 4.0Ghz staying with CPU at 1.25v and it is running at around 71c - Prime95 has only been running for 30 minutes so far though.

I am still getting odd results when i shutdown from Windows - PC struggles to restart. Had to Memok it earlier which is what prompted me to push it to 4.0Ghz as i was having to reset everything anyway. Switched off using case switch last night and it booted today with no problem - and it is quite happy running with the o/c.

Changed my sig - may need to change it back yet :)

Back
Top Bottom