Can I put off tax until Wednesday?

Soldato
Simple and quick q, I'm picking up a new car today with no tax on it, can I bring it home and leave it on the drive until Wednesday then get tax from September 1st?

Man of Honour
Simple and quick q, I'm picking up a new car today with no tax on it, can I bring it home and leave it on the drive until Wednesday then get tax from September 1st?

Technically you should declare it SORN for the period between now and Wednesday.

In practice, however... ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I have taxed cars a few days late in the past, it has always been ok. I wouldnt leave it any longer than a couple of days though personally.

Soldato
It's far from leaving the tax on your own car a few days late (in which you get 14 days grace), If it's new or has been untaxed for a longer period by the previous owner then any police vehicle equipped with ANPR and the right settings is going to flag you as having no tax as you drive past them.

Man of Honour
It's far from leaving the tax on your own car a few days late (in which you get 14 days grace)

No, you don't. This is an urban myth. The only grace period is the 7 day period which applies if you've ordered an online tax disc prior to the expiration date, but it has yet to arrive.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;17267994 said:
No, you don't. This is an urban myth. The only grace period is the 7 day period which applies if you've ordered an online tax disc prior to the expiration date, but it has yet to arrive.

No, it says so on the back of the tax reminder.

Associate
On a kind of similar note I have paid for my tax online like I have done for a while now and normally it turns up PDQ but due to the Bank Holiday excuse I dont think I will recieve it tomorrow (Heres hoping though!).

I need the car on Wednesday so am I still covered due to the fact I have paid and I am awaiting delivery of the new disc?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
On a kind of similar note I have paid for my tax online like I have done for a while now and normally it turns up PDQ but due to the Bank Holiday excuse I dont think I will recieve it tomorrow (Heres hoping though!).

I need the car on Wednesday so am I still covered due to the fact I have paid and I am awaiting delivery of the new disc?

Yeah you are :) I am in the same situation.

Associate
Thanks Jez.

The thought of a Fine along with the price of the tax (£245! Brings a whole new meaning to "Highway Robbery") as well as paying for my 5870 Graphics card fills me with dread ;)

Caporegime
Yeah you are :) I am in the same situation.

Am I right in saying it depends on the gap between the DVLA sending the disc out & you recieving it?

Iirc I'm sure my sister got done for "no tax" even though she had ordered the disc, it just had not turned up. - She was done for not displaying a valid disc.

This was a while back, perhaps things have changed?

Back
Top Bottom