Project "THE SHINY ONE"

Soldato
Been busy over the last few months rebuilding my rig,i hope you like the work so far,got both side panels to polish up but that will have to wait till better weather.

All spraying was done by myself with cans from my local car part`s shop,the inside of the case is matt black and i know there are some fingerprint`s my fault should have worn the latex glove`s i bought to stop this but i got carried away.

Case:Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24 in brushed alumium very boring i know but i had a plan for this later on.

Build will be run on air till after xmas now as fund`s are getting tight.

Motherboard:X58 EVGA 4 Way
Ram:Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C8 2000MHz
Cpu:i7 DO 920 lapped
Hard drive:Crucial M225 drive
Psu:Corsair AX1200
Videocard`s:2 X EVGA 470 SC with high flow bracket and backplate
Soundcard:X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Professional Series 7.1
Cpu cooling on air: Prolimatech Megahalems Plus 2 Enermax Magmas in Push/Pull

Watercooling Part`s
Motherboard block: EK 4 Way
Cpu waterblock:EK-Supreme HighFlow CPU Block - Full Nickel
Pump`s:2 X Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump (Danger Den D5 Vario)
Pump top:EK-D5 Dual Top with EK 100MM Res
Fitting`s:Matt black Bitspower 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD
Hose: Primochill PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red
Rad 1:Black Ice SR-1 360 Radiator
Rad 2:Black Ice SR-1 240 Radiator
Fan`s:Enermax Magma`s X 8
Distilled Water & Silver coil

Front panel before and after.
009-1.jpg

frontfullon.jpg

shinyfront2.jpg

Rear panel before and after,moved the psu around so i could fit a top 2 x 120mm rad in.
008-1.jpg

rear.jpg

Cable braiding
4 x Pcie
1x 24 motherboard cable
1 x 8 pin motherboard cable not in picture
Power/reset button`s

Cablebraiding1.jpg

cablebraiding2.jpg

cablebraiding3.jpg

Cable tidy took me over 6 hours to work out the whole case,not a job i enjoy.

rearcable.jpg

Afew shot`s of the hardware.

The old and new.
004.jpg

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

insidefront.jpg

Hope you enjoy it.

Soldato
OP
The front was done by a sander 80 grit/120/240 then wet & dry 600 grit/800/1500/2500 by hand then polished with a buffer and then finished by hand and it took forever to do no easy,also done the top panel as well but im finishing the rad grill.

Soldato
OP
The ssd is on the lower back motherboard tray when i have more funds i`ll buy another one.
As for the psu it`s solid as i got a scrap bit of 4mm alumium for the support plate.

Soldato
Great attention to detail - you can really see the hours you've put into that (thought and deed).

Soooo good to see braided cables with a thin band of heat shrink - almost even too, really nice work.
Now all you need to do for that 'pc mag' look is get all the fan stickers the same way round. :D
Only kidding the black with red highlight is really well handled, especially the red thumb screws on the psu panel and the card's i/o shields painted black.

Don't take this the wrong way but I not sure about the mass of red on the drive bays.
Black diagonal strips or chevrons maybe?
Or even a few more holes in it like the very clever cable management one on the other side, so it less of a block of colour.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really good work on the polishing - looks lovely. What do you mean by 'polished with a buffer' - do you mean a polishing mop on a grinder(?) or a dremel polishing attachment?

Soldato
OP
Great attention to detail - you can really see the hours you've put into that (thought and deed).

Soooo good to see braided cables with a thin band of heat shrink - almost even too, really nice work.
Now all you need to do for that 'pc mag' look is get all the fan stickers the same way round. :D
Only kidding the black with red highlight is really well handled, especially the red thumb screws on the psu panel and the card's i/o shields painted black.

Don't take this the wrong way but I not sure about the mass of red on the drive bays.
Black diagonal strips or chevrons maybe?
Or even a few more holes in it like the very clever cable management one on the other side, so it less of a block of colour.

First time with the braiding not perfect but im happy with it and it took me 4 day`s to do :D
All the rad fans are being replaced with Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM fans,i know what you meen it look`s odd but i had a fan die on me and rushed the job to replace it,it`s a easy fix though as they have not been braided up.

I have 2 high flow videocard brackets to fit on both 470`s sprayed them matt black to match the rest of them,also have EVGA backplate`s to install as well.

I`ll do a more detailed view on the back as i made use of some 3mm countersink screw`s and p clips.

Monkey Puzzle
After a lot of reading i got a Kestrel DAS6 Random Orbit Polisher with lambs wool pads and boy did that make a difference.

Soldato
OP
Did lapping the i7 help? I thought they didn't need to be lapped as they were pretty flat already?

Not sure i should have done a before and after test but i just fancyed trying it out did both the cpu and heatsink at the same time i can run the cpu @
4ghz with bot Enermax magmas running on full with a idle temp @40c 3 core`s read the same temp while the 4th runs about 3c lower but im happy with that tbh.

Back
Top Bottom