Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
The data to rebuild the array is on the drives themselves. For example, I wiped my usb stick a few times trying slightly different versions of the method I used in the end, and each time I could get my array back with:

Code:
sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

This is the advantage of using linux software raid, it's not dependant on specific controllers/hardware.

thanks for that, looks like I will be going the Ubuntu route then, also looks like SABnzb works under linux as well, just have to wait for everything to arrive now.

Associate
Been playing with all kinds of settings on the box to see if I could bring up the samba speed, it just occurred to me my laptop doesn't have gigabit lan.

doh!

k3v

k3v

Associate
I posted my claims form the week before christmas, i hadnt had a confirmation email, so i emailed them yesterday to check they had received them, they replied that they had received them and had just processed my claim and that they would email me shortly with confirmation, its yet to arrive! I think they must just be busy.

Soldato
I posted my claims form the week before christmas, i hadnt had a confirmation email, so i emailed them yesterday to check they had received them, they replied that they had received them and had just processed my claim and that they would email me shortly with confirmation, its yet to arrive! I think they must just be busy.

It'll come, I was in the same situation. Got confirmation that my claim was accepted a couple of days after they emailed me back to say they were processing it.

Associate
Thanks for clearing that up, i wasnt sure if you had moved the supplied hard drive to the optical bay or not.
Im currently using unraid as a trial, but i dont think im gonna stick with it, ideally i want something that will give me remote access to download files on my hard drive on a remote computer with no additional software on it i.e. internet explorer. Can ubuntu desktop allow me to do this? One last noob question, why didnt you use the server version of ubuntu?

Easy way to do this would be to set up apache with the document root as your storage drive. Failing that, you can set up a FTP within Linux easily enough, and FTP is accessible through most machines anywhere.

Soldato
E-mailed my claim in on the 1st January, got a response on the 4th saying the office had been closed over the holidays and that they were processing the claim, and got confirmation that my claim was valid yesterday.

For anyone about to process claims, there's no need to post it off, just send a scanned copy of the claim form along with your invoice to [email protected] :)

Soldato
Why what is wrong with RAID5? Why would you pick 10 over 5?

If I use 4 x 2Tb disks in R5 I will get ~6TB of space, opposed to ~4Tb with raid 10.

Kimbie

Raid 5 is slow especially if your doing lots of writes. Raid 10 has far superior performance.

Its a golden rule you never install an OS onto a Raid 5.

k3v

k3v

Associate
Easy way to do this would be to set up apache with the document root as your storage drive. Failing that, you can set up a FTP within Linux easily enough, and FTP is accessible through most machines anywhere.

Thanks, ill take a look at this

There's always sftp as well, though this need you to run (a small) program from the machine you're on.

And indeed this too

cheers guys

Associate
I have been following this thread with interest.

But good grief, these are now £250ish! £40 more than the beginning of the week, and not many places have them in stock.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Associate
I have been following this thread with interest.

But good grief, these are now £250ish! £40 more than the beginning of the week, and not many places have them in stock.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ouch, the place I ordered mine has gone up almost £50! :eek: That's the cost of another H/D...

Glad I ordered last month!

Just e-mailed the promotions peeps as I haven't heard back yet, so will see what they say.

Last edited:
Associate
Place i got mine from is still £199.99 +vat and delivery. If you look for my original post, i left clues as to the website, as apparently linking to other websites will get me killed.

Infact, with VAT that puts it up to £240 + del :(

Associate
ive installed whs v1 on mine but im struggling to install a driver for the smbus even pointing to it fails, for those that have installed whs v1 do you have the driver for this ?
thanks

Soldato
Anyone got WD caviar greens in theirs and finding it slow?

I read somewhere about a WD Align program that is supposed to speed things up but it was just for XP. Is there anything for 2008?

Cheers,

G

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a bay that will fit the 160gb perfectly in the ODD bay? Got some cheap metal brackets and they are rubbish! Don't fit at all. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom