Want to clarify something with the mods please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Dear overlords,

Recently there have been a few requests RE wedding photographers, naturally, lots have been recommending their own talents.

I want to check that this isn't breaking any rules and there is no harm in doing this?

Want to double check before we all get slapped with a holiday for repeatedly doing it lol.

Cheers :)
Jake

Soldato
I suspect it's alright to plug our talent and service, it's not like OcUK will be starting a Wedding Photography Service any time soon... right? *looks worried*

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Well I just checked the FAQ - according to that it isn't allowed, but its happened twice in a week now and nobody has said diddlysquat so I want to know if its ok to go ahead and do so :)

33L

33L

Associate
maybe a stickie for anyone that wants to advertise their services to do so and let the potential clients chose from their rather than making a load of threads.

Soldato
Have you RTMed your OP, Phate?

The forum rules say no promotion of business interests, and it is definitely adhered to in other parts of the forums, so to allow it here would be double standards. That said, it's a tricky one with photography, as the vast majority of our sigs in here will link to galleries that offer prints and/or services.

Soldato
This has been a long time coming. This forum seems to have changed a lot over the last couple of years from a hobbyist forum to one where quite a few pro/semi-pros post (Raymond springs to mind) and the feel is a little more like Talk Photography.

I do think that some guidance would be useful from the mods. Maybe asking for recommendations/services should be banned, maybe there should be a sticky where pros/semi pros could put their details and anybody looking for services can just be pointed there to make up their own mind.

Soldato
But bear in mind that this is photo and I think the only mod that ever wonders in here is Spie; and if he's not bothered then.... well....

As this is not strictly computer related and we're all sensible chaps (mainly ;) ) I don't see the issue. Maybe if there was a sticky at the top with people and services then that might stop these posts?

edit: actually that last comment is probably wrong. Referrals is probably the best way as the FAQs are really suggesting self-promotion for business purposes; answering a question is a completely different outlook on it and is not pro-actively promoting any business interests

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Cheers Zefan. I know the photography section generally gets away with a lot and we don't take the mick, but I wanted to clarify - as I don't fancy a holiday if a passing don is in a bad mood :p

Look forward to seeing what is said.

Man of Honour
A long time ago we had a Mod that ran a private company. He wasn't able to offer the services of his company on the Forums, so this is a definite no-no.

I can understand how people have built up over time as they've brought themselves on and honed their skills using these forums, but as pointed out these Forums are not to be used for advertisement purposes :)

Hold your horses! Haven't you heard that I'm omnipresent? :p

I'll find out about this.

Calm down young padawan.

Caporegime
OP
Ok, that's cool. Thanks for clarifying.

In this case can we have a sticky created (I know we already have one) but for people specifically advertising wedding services? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom