• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclocking addictive?

Soldato
Anyone else find overclocking really addictive I just done it for the first time and it was really easy, I thought it would be annoying im currently running Prime95 now at 4Ghz but I think going higher would be pushing it as my max temp so far has been 69C and volts are at 1.28V.

Does anyone else find it really addictive? :D

Associate
It was at first now I just want to sort the overclock out and forget about it. Just so happens I'm running mine at stock at the moment.

Caporegime
It can get stupidly addictive, to the point where you end up spending a fortune on exotic cooling, volt-modding, blowing up hardware, and constant upgrading.

Fortunately I stepped down from extreme overclocking about 3-4 years ago, but at the time I had two modified phase change coolers (based off vapochill units), a whole host of spare CPUs, motherboards, video cards, and more fans than you would know what to do with.

Everything changed around 6-7 years ago, it became a lot easier, I found the days of re-etching L1 bridges on Athlon XP CPUs and adding potentiometers to motherboards to overvolt vcore/vram far more interesting than todays "soft" overclocking.

I keep wondering if I should get back into it, but I ended up ruining so much hardware :p

Associate
Incredibly addictive. I've never been into the extreme stuff, but the lengths I'll go to in order to try and squeeze an extra .1GHz is ridiculous.

Caporegime
It can be, with my current setup, i was happy enough at 4.0ghz for quite a while. Thought why not try and eek a bit more out of it, so i got it to 4.2. Currently on the limits with air cooling, as my i7 isnt a spectacular chip, needs 1.3125v @4.2. Also pushed my gpu's a fair bit above stock, (630mhz), had them at 800/1600/1674 for a while on 1.012v, though i tend to run them most of the time at 750/1500/1674 on stock volts, 0.987.

Caporegime
I got stupidly into it at uni, back in the Athlon Thunderbird days, spent far too much time and money on it.

Now I just want a system that works, been running a S775 quad core for over a year with one slip resulting in a new graphics card. Trying my best to stay away from upgrading, it's a slippery slope.

Soldato
Once you get into it properly, yes it's VERY addictive.
I started clocking in the early 1990's, and as you can tell from my sig, still do clock.
I've long gone past the point of no turning back, so now even build my own Phase units :eek:
Even if i build a desktop for somebody else...............i always clock it first.........just to see what it will do :D

Once you get into this.............................your hooked, you'll also have a very much reduced disposable income :eek:

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say I find it addictive per se, however I do have an unhealthy tendency to push the limits a bit too far, even when I've hit the limit of what my system can do stable, every now and then I'll come up with some sort of plan to try to get more out of it.

Caporegime
I wouldn't say I find it addictive per se, however I do have an unhealthy tendency to push the limits a bit too far, even when I've hit the limit of what my system can do stable, every now and then I'll come up with some sort of plan to try to get more out of it.
Have you ever killed any components from overclocking? Im relatively new to the whole bussiness. My first cpu oc was an E6600, @3.7ghz, followed by a Q6600 and a Q9550 both at 3.8ghz. I pushed the Q6600 more by lapping it and the cooler, something id never had heard of tbh. Worked wonders, probably the most challenging of all the cpu's ive owned. My current i7 has been very easy to overclock.

Soldato
i'm the same as somebody else on here my i7 chip isnt the greatest and needed a fair few volts for 4.2ghz...

what i am finding addictive is keeping temps down, so far in 3 months i have upgraded my case 3 times, and im going to do it again so i can start watercooling. this is expensive! and i wish i wasnt so caught up on it all but meh its only money

Ross

Man of Honour
Have you ever killed any components from overclocking? Im relatively new to the whole bussiness. My first cpu oc was an E6600, @3.7ghz, followed by a Q6600 and a Q9550 both at 3.8ghz. I pushed the Q6600 more by lapping it and the cooler, something id never had heard of tbh. Worked wonders, probably the most challenging of all the cpu's ive owned. My current i7 has been very easy to overclock.

Possibly. I had a Cyrix PR200+ cpu that I overclocked and it died, but it wasn't helped by the cpu fan failing intermittently - they ran incredibly hot as it was.

Also had a P4-1.6A @ 2.6ghz that died after about 9 months, that may have been my fault.

Not lost anything for over 8 years now though.

Back
Top Bottom