Why do Londoners think they are separate from the rest of England?

Associate
Whenever i listen to the radio, quick example, alan brazil on talk sport he will say.. "Northerners will be jealous 'we' have the Olympics"

when i read the metro on the train, its Londoners banging on about the 'rest of the UK' and we have the Olympics etc etc

**news flash** The Olympics will benefit the WHOLE of the UK, not just one smelly CITY,

also football... the North rules, no question. arsenal who?

let the sarcastic comments begin......

Associate
Can't say I have noticed this and to be honest. I know for a fact that some events will be in Wales so it isn't true either. Not like I even care about that though as watching it at home is more comfortable, it's not like a music event or something.

Soldato
Why do 'we' think we are separate from the rest of Europe? I had a German friend staying a while back and she was amazed at how our newspapers kept referring the 'Europe' as if it was somewhere other than the UK!

Pug

Pug

Soldato
tbh though, Londoners are different to most of the rest, especially northerners (with their weird ways). A lot like Parisians and "french".

Having spent time there and the mids, the lifestyles are very different.

Soldato
Eh? I thought the Olympics were not holding any events in Wales?/Scotland/Ireland etc, as its focused on England?

Or was this another sporting event (may have been something to do with the World Cup Footy bid, can't remember.

Newport Wales does have a big velodrome though, don't know if its up to Olympic standards.

Associate
Agree with Raymond - London 2012.

And the media calls it Europe as it's mainland Europe and it's just been shortened over time to Europe. It's an easy collective term for the mainland - what else would you call it?

Soldato
Probably because London is a settlement on a scale otherwise unmatched in the UK. London is an absolutely fantastic city and one of the few true 'world cities' - a candidate for the capital of Earth, if there ever was one. It's therefore no surprise that London is very London-centric, because generally speaking, it has everything.

Man of Honour
Probably because London is a settlement on a scale otherwise unmatched in the UK. London is an absolutely fantastic city and one of the few true 'world cities' - a candidate for the capital of Earth, if there ever was one. It's therefore no surprise that London is very London-centric, because generally speaking, it has everything.

this.

Everyone I know who's visited London has said it's the best place they've been to!

Last edited:
Caporegime

It doesn't have a volcano! :p

Associate
Eh? I thought the Olympics were not holding any events in Wales?/Scotland/Ireland etc, as its focused on England?

Or was this another sporting event (may have been something to do with the World Cup Footy bid, can't remember.

Newport Wales does have a big velodrome though, don't know if its up to Olympic standards.

Football at millenium stadium and swimming at the olympic pool.

Soldato
Another thing I've noticed is that on the news (BBC, ITV, Sky or whatever) that they call a English National English when they are successful and then call a Welsh/Irish/Scottish a Brit. Aren't we all Brits? You can't pick and choose.

The few Londoners I've met seem a bit clueless to me about the rest of the UK and being quite arrogant aswell. I've had questions like 'Do you have running water?' and 'Do you know what Digital Television is?' thrown at me on my visits.

London is a nice place though.

Back
Top Bottom