Recording box, thing?

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place.

I am looking for one of them boxes that can be used with freeview and enable you to record tv channels while you are out.

Want to get my mom one for her birthday!

Budget £100?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
They're called PVRs.

HUMAX PVR9150T - can store about 100hrs worth of TV. Has dual tuners so you can record one channel while watching another from the same box. Or, if your main TV has Freeview then the recorder can record two channels at the same time. It is I believe their entry level model, so discounted to about £120 if you Google.

Man of Honour
Supermarkets sell products cheap from faceless factories. Luxor is just a badge name they stick on these sort of boxes. They aren't like a Sony, Panasonic, Humax, Philips etc where there's some decent info on the manufacturers site. What you're going to have to do is buy one and try it, but the old phrase rings true here - "You get what you pay for"

Soldato
OP
Supermarkets sell products cheap from faceless factories. Luxor is just a badge name they stick on these sort of boxes. They aren't like a Sony, Panasonic, Humax, Philips etc where there's some decent info on the manufacturers site. What you're going to have to do is buy one and try it, but the old phrase rings true here - "You get what you pay for"

I only want something for my mom to be able to record with.

Associate
£70 sounds a bit cheap for a PVR, it'll probably pack up after like 6 months when the Chinese monkey solder melts. :p

Humax would be the better choice but if you're not willing to spend more then just go with the Luxor thing.

Man of Honour
PVR - Personal Video Recorder

IMO the supermarkets have no business selling higher-end consumer electronics. Toasters, irons and kettles is fine. But for TVs, PVRs, computers and such you really want a bit of pre-sales advice or post-sales support if there's an issue. The best you can hope for though is some callcentre jockey reading from a script to tell you to switch it off at the mains, then check the cables and the batteries in the remote. After which you end up dragging the bit of tat back to customer services to argue for a refund. That's okay if it broke in the first 12 months, but if it's after 12 months then you might as well bin it.

Everyone has a view product quality and on what they deem an acceptable level of hassle for the price difference. For me, sacrificing a reputable brand for some nameless box isn't worth the £50 saving, and it's certainly not worth the additional hassle and grief if it's going to go wrong and I either end up losing all my recordings, or worse, losing my money when the thing goes to the tip....But that's just me :D

Man of Honour
oh look, from right back at the beginning...when you first asked for a recommendation.... lol
HUMAX PVR9150T - can store about 100hrs worth of TV. Has dual tuners so you can record one channel while watching another from the same box. Or, if your main TV has Freeview then the recorder can record two channels at the same time. It is I believe their entry level model, so discounted to about £120 if you Google.

Associate
You can buy a graded box direct from humax. They are fully re-engineered if required but are also shop returns or stock reductions and they are sold with a full guarantee. At the moment they have PVR9150T-G for £89.95 which is an absolute steal at that price. :cool:

hth

B

Back
Top Bottom