mobo: p7p55d-e
cpu: i5 760 @ 3.9ghz
ram: 12gb
graphics card: 460gt
ssd: 60gb ocz agility 3
ssd: 120gb Corsair Force Series 3
back up: 1TB Hitachi (old one)

and the problem:

p7p55d-e has IO level up, i had the sata 6gb running but it was effecting my graphics card performance so i turned it off. i also had to update ocz agility firmware, i have to do this by using an usb linux device.

so i turn of the IO level up and boot into the usb linux and start the update, it then stops and says it can't find the ssd.

i restart computer n go into bios and check the boot devices and find it saying ide: S1 ocz-agility 3, now this is strange as i have achi turned on and installed windows which it on. it also says IDE: hitachi and IDE: optical. these are all plugged into the motherboard using sata.

i tried swapping the ssd around on the mobo and it didnt help. i removed all sata connections apart from ocz agility and it didnt help either.

i then tried to boot into windows but i kept getting please insert media disk, i finally got into windows by using f8 and selecting ocz agility, at this point i get message saying windows has successfully installed drivers for ocz agility. i then restarted windows hoping this would have fixed the problem but it still said ide in bios and then wouldnt boot into windows at all.

i figure it most be something wrong with the bios so i found an update on asus website and using usb update the bios and of course this didnt work.

i tried the usb linux again to try and update the ssd which i was able to do this time so would think it would be fixed but nope.

so finally decide to do fresh install of windows 7, im able to select ocz agility and installed windows on it. i then check regedit to turn achi on but it was already on and as ssd also shows the ssd is using achi drivers but bios keeps saying ide.

also know all my drivers at removable in windows even ocz agility which has windows on it.

so im completely lost on how to fix this as ive tried everything i can think of to get bios to show sata instead of ide. anyone know anything else i could do?

Caporegime
What motherboard bIOS version are you using? there are quite a few new ones at the ASUS website, some even mention about updating the Marvell option ROM etc.

Is the SSD connected to the Marvell SATA 6GB/s ports or the native Intel SATA 3GB/s ports? I assume you will be using the Marvell ports as the SSD drive (and the Corsair one) is also a SATA 6GB/s item.

Associate
OP
What motherboard bIOS version are you using? there are quite a few new ones at the ASUS website, some even mention about updating the Marvell option ROM etc.

went from P7P55D-E 1301 BIOS to P7P55D-E 1504 BIOS, also downloaded Marvell controller drivers from asus website if thats the same thing.

Is the SSD connected to the Marvell SATA 6GB/s ports or the native Intel SATA 3GB/s ports? I assume you will be using the Marvell ports as the SSD drive (and the Corsair one) is also a SATA 6GB/s item.
yeah both ssd are connected to the 6GB/s ports and old hdd and optical drive to the intel one. after the fresh install of windows the hdd and optical drive where being picked up right in bios as sata but before it was saying they where IDE

Caporegime
When you installed windows on the SSD, did you remove all the other drives and set the SATA controller to AHCI before the install began?

That what I would do instead of altering the REG after.

Last edited:
Associate
He's using win7 64bit, his original install was fine with ahci set on install and the issue only arose when he was updating his ocz firmware to 2.13. When he went to boot up after bios showed all drives as IDE and booted into windows to show it installing ahci drivers then from that wouldn't boot into windows and bios still showed drives as IDE but post showed the ssd as ahci

Associate
OP
yeah what sean(nab :p) ACHI was on, theres actually 2 options on mobo to turn on to make sure ACHI is on and both where on and where working until today.

only checked reg to make see if windows would said it was ACHI or IDE. it was set for ACHI so only the bios is saying ssd are IDE

Caporegime
The two options will be one for the Intel controller and one for the Marvell controller.

I cant explain why the bios is saying one thing but its actually saying another during post/windows. I can only suggest doing the board BIOS update again? you did say in the Op that it didnt work (maybe write protected?) then a few posts later said you went from P7P55D-E 1301 BIOS to P7P55D-E 1504 BIOS,

Associate
OP
The two options will be one for the Intel controller and one for the Marvell controller.

I cant explain why the bios is saying one thing but its actually saying another during post/windows. I can only suggest doing the board BIOS update again?

ok i'll try another BIOS update. Would this also cause windows to make all my drives removable though?

Caporegime
I did see a Intel storage utility in the download section, I can't completely remember, but when I tried it on my board it gave the options to disconnect drives.

I don't know if it allows the disconnection with the Marvell controller also.

Maybe windows update stuck something on?

but its getting late and I guessing now.

Associate
OP
just after updating bios again and bios still says ide: ocz agility.

double checked bios that AHCI is on and both are on. i did change marvel boot ROM from auto to enabled but that didnt seem to change anything.

i didn't download the intel storage utility or jmicron driver, only downloaded Marvell 9123/9120 Controller Driver, usb 3.0 drivers, asus turbo V and asus AI suite.

yea i was able to eject the Corsair Force Series 3 drive.

not sure but bios marvell driver is 88se91xx but marvell controller driver is 9123/9120, not sure if thats the same thing or completely different so just want to check

Associate
OP
did complete fresh install of windows with only the ocz agility plugged into board, and bios still staying its ide. also with no drivers installed at all it still allowing me to eject the drive whereas it wasnt before

Caporegime
Its allowing you to eject the drives from the taskbar icon? that Grey plug with a Green "tick" next to it? thats what mine has also, I can only assume AHCI is perfectly fine as it allows hot swapping which I dont believe IDE does. Maybe ignore what the BIOS is showing?

Associate
OP
tried earlier bios again and nope still says IDE: ocz agility, just dont understand how turning of the I/O level up changed everything. I switched it couple times before and nothing happened.

Back
Top Bottom