• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Piledriver, finally coming soon!

Soldato
Finally today we heard when piledriver was going to show up. Ok you got me this isnt a countdown to actually being able to get your hands on it but it is a countdown till we will actually start seeing some benchmarks and enthusiasts having a chance to tinker with it.

Let the thread begin!

Associate
Well hopefully Bulldozer is a building block. Bit like Fermi for nvidia. 1st one was overpowered underwhelmed. 2nd gen was more substantial.

Soldato
Fermi as in the 480? I thought it was and is pretty good! Not many cards are faster than it even now.

Exactly, whilst the first Fermis ran rather warm they were at least still fast and regained the crown of fastest single GPU from AMD. With BD they're just hot, slow and will not be worrying Intel in the slightest!

Caporegime
They're only predicting a 10-12% improvement aren't they?

Isn't Ivy Bridge aiming for 20%? And that's only a die shrink... Haswell's going to murder Piledriver... possibly Steamroller too (Both aimed at 2013) since that's also aimed at a 10-12% improvement over Piledriver (~25% over Bulldozer): http://media.bestofmicro.com/bulldozer,L-N-310523-3.jpg

Ivy will likely amass to 5-10%, performance over SB core for core, IPC and clock increase contribute to that

Permabanned
tbh i think its gona be an easy stoppage in 1st round for intel, and how them word make me cringe, 10% over deaddozer really isnt gona cut it, unless they massively undercut intel. they may not win by performance, but a very attractive price could make things intresting

Associate
Please stop this discussion immediately. I think it would be best for everyone if AMD started producing toy cars for children.

Soldato
Please stop this discussion immediately. I think it would be best for everyone if AMD started producing toy cars for children.

Don't be silly, I think we all have an interest in keeping AMD around, I don't think think Bulldozer is very good, infact I'm actually somewhat worried by how it's actually turned out. It'll be alright when it's half the price that it currently is I suppose, but I'm not really sure that's quite what AMD were going for this time around.

But let's just hope that AMD can sort things out, it'd be a real shame to lose them and handing Intel total and utter domination with little to keep them on their toes or their prices down ...well you can imagine what that would be like.

Soldato

Yes because Intel having a monopoly would be so awesome.

AMD need to pray GF sort their leakage issues, so they can up the clocks with less power consumption and they need to sort whatever bottlenecks are accumulating inside the few billion transistors in the short term.

Hopefully their APU's can drive their business forward whilst they spend the few months fixing their issues.

Intel need competition to keep them sharp and we need to hope AMD can bring it.

If they can sort the mahoooosive power consumption, get the clocks up 10-15% and pull a further 10% perf per core clock for clock they will have a viable chip at current prices. Only thing its a big IF!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom