NEX 5n - My initial impressions and initial pics

Soldato
Bought a NEX 5n before I went away with work

I bought it originally to complement my Fuji S5 Pro - which I've always thought of very highly

my criteria for a new portable camera were to be: small form factor, decent sensor with good DR, and high quality video

M4/3s fitted the bill for form factor better than the Sony - but the Sony won out with its high quality sensor etc

the 5n I think uses the same (or similar) sensor to that in the new Sony Alphas, and the Nikon D7000 etc - so very high quality indeed

overall after 1200 shots or so - no really negatives yet - apart from one annoyance of having to switch to JPEG from RAW - to be able to take HDR shots :( I wish it just switched automatically to JPEGs for those

HDRs work very well though

as do the inbuilt Panoramics (click and spin around :) )

overall PQ is better than I expected - in fact I'd say 95% of the PQ - but with higher levels of detail - than my Fuji - take into account the much smaller form factor and I'm tempted to sell on my Fuji

Pics.jpg

Pics-2.jpg

NEX-1.jpg

Pana-2-1.jpg

Waterfall-1-2.jpg

Associate
Before I hit the Buy button one on of these, how quick is the autofocus?

I switched from compact camera to DSRL 5 years ago because the compact was so slow at focusing, I understand that things have improved but is there still a noticable delay?

Soldato
Looks like South Africa. Lovely pics, have been thinking about one of these since Sony brought them out. Very tempted :)

Back
Top Bottom