What is Plymouth like? Trying to find a nice area to live

Soldato
Hi gang - the better half is moving to Plymouth for work in September. She is going to be moving from Liverpool, and trying to find a nice area to live in.

We went down for the weekend to assess the area - found a nice house in an area called Keyham.... does anyone know what that area is like?

We went around an area called Devonport too.... looked a bit nasty tbh.... any thoughts?

Caporegime
Been there a few times to go shopping with my girlfriend at the time, it wasn't very nice but we only stuck to the center of town.

Associate
Devonport is awful and Keyham is also pretty bad (what with it bordering North Prospect aka Swilly aka Scumville).

I would personally suggest looking outside of Plymouth and commuting in. There are a fair number of developments built specifically for this purpose.

If you must live in Plymouth, some of the nicer areas are Derriford, Hartley and Mannamead. Some people seem to love Plympton but I don't personally see why. More than happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Associate
Devonport is awful and Keyham is also pretty bad (what with it bordering North Prospect aka Swilly aka Scumville).

I would personally suggest looking outside of Plymouth and commuting in. There are a fair number of developments built specifically for this purpose.

If you must live in Plymouth, some of the nicer areas are Derriford, Hartley and Mannamead. Some people seem to love Plympton but I don't personally see why. More than happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Basically this. Depending on where you are, Plymouth is either respectable or absolutely foul. Be sure to check out Union Street for an entertaining night full of stabbings.

Man of Honour
Plymouth as a student = brilliant

Plymouth as a place to live = not so sure

I lived as a student in the middle of town for 4 years, fairly standard Victorian-type terraced houses mostly, St Jude's area, nothing particularly good/bad to report.

There's flash apartments by the Barbican which is a nice area.

But I'd probably suggest finding a place in the surrounding countryside and commuting in. It's a nice part of the country :)

Soldato
Who cares, she's leaving liverpool, short of moving to bosnia it will be an improvement ;)

The reputation of the guys from Liverpool down here is that they are only ever in the news for Drug dealing and killing people.

Devonport is getting better, as they are rejunvanating it somewhat, but it can still be pretty bad. Stay away from: Barn Barton, Keyham, Devonport (in part), St Budeux (in part, some area's are nice), North Prospect (also known as Swilly), Prince Rock, Mount Gould. Others also suck but just trying to cover the majority.

The isse now is that a few years ago, the council decided to try and move the families with issues, out of the bad area's, and basically ended up rewarding them with housing in nice area's. Then those other previously nice area's went down hill (Great job guys!)

But.. area's to look at are (depending on budget), Plympton, Plymstock/Oreston, Woolwell, crownhill (in part) (and many other good areas).

Are you moving from a council house to another council house as that may limit your options?

Plymouth generally? It's nice down here, but a lot slower pace of life. Some people are frankly.. backward. I'd rather live here than in Liverpool. I can think of nicer places to live. Although Plymouth has a lot of plus's like Dartmoor, the sea (It's thankfully not a typical 'seaside' area!) etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The reputation of the guys from Liverpool down here is that they are only ever in the news for Drug dealing and killing people.

Devonport is getting better, as they are rejunvanating it somewhat, but it can still be pretty bad. Stay away from: Barn Barton, Keyham, Devonport (in part), St Budeux (in part, some area's are nice), North Prospect (also known as Swilly), Prince Rock, Mount Gould. Others also suck but just trying to cover the majority.

The isse now is that a few years ago, the council decided to try and move the families with issues, out of the bad area's, and basically ended up rewarding them with housing in nice area's. Then those other previously nice area's went down hill (Great job guys!)

But.. area's to look at are (depending on budget), Plympton, Plymstock/Oreston, Woolwell, crownhill (in part) (and many other good areas).

Are you moving from a council house to another council house as that may limit your options?

no shes moving from her mum n dads 5 bed detached house near Formby :p

Soldato
this is a house she likes :

http://www.fulfords.co.uk/buy/property/3-bedroom-house-in-plymouth,pl2-for-gbp-127,500-ref-1716877/

In Keyham though..... So is it quite a bad area? it looked.... ok...

Yep, crummy area, although I think that backs onto the park so it's in the slightly 'better' part, relatively speaking.
Take a stroll round Keyham/ Devonport and see the amount of boarded up properties, dog poo and general litter kicking around the place for an idea of how crummy the area is :S
Heading up the road towards Dockyard station, there are a few new council blocks, these aren't particularly nice either, although infinitely better than what they replaced.

-Leezer-

Associate
Plymouth residents are all slowly going to be killed off with the recent planning approval for a waste incinerator surrounded by homes on the edge of the dockyard. It's going to be for all of plymouths waste and that of the southhams/torbay and is expected to also be used for low level nuclear waste (clothing etc.) when they start dismantling the nuclear subs here.

I'm looking for a way out so if you're up for an exchange...

Last edited:
Soldato
I live in Stoke in Plymouth, you can quickly see some places look a bit rundown and the people a bit chavvy but I can say I have never had any bother and I walk everywhere through even the worst areas at all times of day and night.

There are also really lovely areas and loads to do here. The whole of the Barbican and the Hoe is fantastic, there is the new Life Centre and Central Park. Tons of restaurants and pubs and amenities. if you want any more specific info, feel free to ask and I will try to answer :)

Permabanned
Personally i'd live a bit further out of plymouth in the nicer areas and commute in. I've done an hours commute to plymouth before and it was ok...

I wouldnt live there though, its a hole - however coming from liverpool it'll all look fabulous!

Man of Honour
Nah, it's all about being central and not having to use taxis/public transfer and can just meet up with people.

It's the biggest hate from leaving uni/Plymouth. Bristol is massive and we're all spread out. means lots of driving and wasted time or lots of taxis/buses.

Was much better when I lived just outside the centre, walk to town in under 20mins brilliant.

Associate
some nice apartments by the seafront area, but also lots of bars/clubs which can be loud at night. i stayed in the center for a few nights by the uni and it was ok, nothing special, but not bad.

Associate
My home town is 10 miles from Plymouth. Most of Plymouth is a run down, tatty and full of scum born and bread in North prospect/Swilly.
Plymouth itself can get quite boring quite quickly, not much changes and the shops are quite limited to other size compared cities.

The best area would be near Mount Batten/Turn Chapel Area (low crime rates, relatively spaces out, modern properties, sea front).
If I were you, I would live outside of Plymouth, Yealmpton, ermington, Modbury areas and commute in.

Remember your moving to Devon, so a car is essential as everything is spread out much more then in other counties, so your fuel bill will rise a lot compared to living in Liverpool.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just finishing my fourth year here as a student. Loved it most of the time, but I'm bored of it now. The town center isn't amazing, and there's only so many times you can visit the Hoe. It has more than it's fair share of chavs, and that's from someone who's from Bridgwater :p

Can't see myself living here after I've graduated.

Back
Top Bottom