Best TIM Application Method?

Associate
Hey all,

I've got an Ivy 3570K arriving (hopefully) tomorrow, along with a bunch of other kit to make my first build in ~4 years or so. I've got a CM Hyper 612S heatsink coming with it, looking to get a respectable overclock out of it but nothing record breaking (say 4.2-4.4Ghz or thereabouts?).

I've read a bunch of different opinions on TIM application, some for older single or dual core processors, but I'm a little bewildered by all the different methods, so I wanted to settle this definitively and ask what's the preferred method of application for current Intel quad core processors?

The contenders:

1. The Pea-Sized Drop - put a pea sized drop of thermal paste dead in the middle of the IHS and let the pressure from the heatsink spread it evenly. Seems simple enough, but I'd worry that it wouldn't get an even coverage over the whole processor.
  2. The Straight Line - draw a straight line of thermal paste right over where the processor cores actually lie under the IHS (the thread about lapping the Ivybridge chips was particularly helpful for visualising this). This is my preferred method so far; seems to ensure coverage of the hottest parts, while being simple and allowing the heatsink pressure to spread the paste. My only queries are: which direction do we draw the line (i.e. top-to-bottom or left-to-right as you read the front of the chip), and does anyone have an image of how much paste to use? I think it would be easy to use too much with this method.
  3. The Credit Card Method - put a pea sized drop of thermal paste in the centre, then use a credit card or a finger wrapped in cling-film (from Huddy's website) to smooth the paste out over the entire surface of the processor. Little messier, always the risk of being clumsy and getting TIM somewhere it shouldn't go, but ensures uniform coverage. Possible drawback is that again, it seems easy to put too much on.

So, what's the best option to use? Or if anyone has a better alternative, please go right ahead and post it, I'd be interested to hear any new methods I haven't heard of yet. :)

Thanks,
Steven

Associate
OP
Yeah, my previous one (years back) came with thermal paste pre-applied, so I didn't have to think about it back then, but this time round I want to do things as 'properly' as I can. The Hyper 612 comes with a tube of CM's own paste, as Surveyor mentioned above. Maybe not as good as the higher end stuff, but for the sake of a few degrees, it'll do for me.

Associate
To the OP:

There's another one consisting in making a little cross on the center of the CPU, and let the CPU cooler to spread it with the pressure.. Has proven to be the one that spreads the TIM most even that all other ways.. But it's just another way to do it.. ;)

Anyways, I always apply my TIM and spread it with an old credit card..
There's a video in a famous webpage used for that, where are plenty of explanations on how is the best way to do it.. But I'm not confident on your 2nd way to do it..

Best regards.. :)

Soldato
i just do a line with a dab each side so it looks like a +
push down cooler and give it a twist of 45 degrees and back.
then bolt down.

i may be wrong, but iirc in the IC diamond 24 giveaway thread last year, the guy from them said, spreading it with a card etc... introduces air bubbles.
He just recommended a pea size blob in the middle and push down cooler

Soldato
All new heatsinks usually come with pre-applied thermal paste. Otherwise I usually squeeze a dollop on and spread it about with a small spreader.

Some do, some (most?) don't.

The Cooler Master Hyper 612 doesn't.

A small tube of paste is supplied.

I did say usually and the vast majority of the ones I have fitted do, but I do tend to prefer to apply my own and use a spreader or the cc method.

Associate
OP

Interesting, I didn't realise manufacturers had a recommended way of doing it. I'm still leaning towards this method, #2 in my OP, and the pictures here are a great help. I assume that 'vertical' in this case means that if you had the CPU oriented so that you were reading the text on the front, the line of thermal paste would be vertical? This might seem a daft question, but I just want to check we're using the same convention here. The images in that link rather unhelpfully have no text on the processors.

Associate
It depends on the TIM and chip you're applying it to. Look on the TIM manufacturers site.

I did see a review on youtube many moons ago where someone compared the different methods - and it depended on the chip and the TIM in question as to how you applied it.

The grain of rice method has worked fine for me for many years with MX2 and MX4. When I used to use Ceramique and AS4 I used my form of the credit card method (used a plastic food bag over the end of my finger to smear a grain of rice sized lump over the cpu, then wipe off any excess).

In a nut shell, the fluid is only supposed to fill the micro gaps that exist when you push the cooler onto the cpu heatshield. The curvature of the integrated heatshield, the curvature of the HSF base that comes into contact with that cpu hsf and the imperfections all then play a part. Too much thermal interface material and you reduce the heat transfer, too little and you end up with poor transfer. It's a balancing act.

Try it several times and MEASURE. Simply reseating the cpu cooler can give you best results. Look to see how the grain of rice has spread and you should then be able to work out whether you are using too much or little.

Soldato
I use half a pea size blob in the centre, stick the heatsink on give it a couple of wiggles with some pressure and that's it! tighten down or clip into place depending on which cooler your using.

Back
Top Bottom