Folding@Home News 31st May - 7th June

Soldato
OP
Hi T, it looks like it's running the uniprocessor along side the SMP which isn't right, I don't actually have any experience of this client though so not sure what the solution is! Hopefully someone will have the answer :)

Also apologies there is no news this week, I forgot I had turned automatic updates on for windows and it restarted shutting down the server missing the download. It will take a couple of weeks to get the news back to normal :(, sorry guys

Soldato
Tbag did you follow Biffa's points 2-5? If you don't select packet size big for e.g. you'll get the the unicore WUs, also if you don't add smp, bigadv or bigbeta (the latter should give you the juicy 6903/4s) you'll get them too.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately you can't get 6903/4 on Windows, and there is not smp switch in the v7 client, you just specify how many cores you want in the slot config.

Tea, just go into Configuration -> Slots and delete the uniprocessor slot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbag did you follow Biffa's points 2-5? If you don't select packet size big for e.g. you'll get the the unicore WUs, also if you don't add smp, bigadv or bigbeta (the latter should give you the juicy 6903/4s) you'll get them too.

Hi :)
Yes i followed steps 2-5, in the slots tab though all that is showing is smp hmmmm time to self medicate me thinks :)

Unfortunately you can't get 6903/4 on Windows, and there is not smp switch in the v7 client, you just specify how many cores you want in the slot config.

Tea, just go into Configuration -> Slots and delete the uniprocessor slot.

I deleted it Mr B sah, now what should be my last 2 questions ....

First unit is complete and has uploaded .... how do i get it to only do 1 at a time then stop?

2. Am crunching seti on gpus 2 units per gpu 6 in total in same rig and am getting some right strange completion times, even though it says i is useing 0.04 cpu per gpu task is there a way i could set say 1/2 cores just for seti and dedicate the rest to folding .... at least i am assuming thats whats causing my weirdo gpu tasks everything else checks out :confused::o:)

Man of Honour
To do one at a time add a new slot option in the SMP slot Name: max-units with value: 1

Value can be any integer depending how many you want it to do :)

Yes you need an affinity manager such as Bill2's Process Manager which is what I use.

On this page a near the top I help Juantjie with the exact same problem.

With yours I would assign a single HT core (say 24) to the enhanced seti client for the gpu's and the rest to the fahcore_xx.exe

You do this in the rules section.

Remember to set it for foreground and background tasks. I'll see if I can get a screenshot of how mine is set on weebeastie.

Soldato
Hokeekokee after a quick brush up on my french i think i have it have set physical and ht cores 1-12 fah and left number 12's ht core assigned to boinc as i could not see an option for seti -advanced.
Thanks for your input peeps all very much appreciated i will leave it running and if someone can manage a nosey occassionally to see if the wu's look right to you it would be appreciated.
Still gpu tasks are darned buggy will keep at it and keep you informed :confused::o:)

Man of Honour
? Its in English. :)

OK you need rules for the actual applications, not boinc or folding itself.

So you need to create rules for whatever the lunatics exe that you have running, as well as for the fahcore_??.exe is running. e.g. right now I have fahcore_a4.exe running SMP and fahcore_15.exe running on the gpu. All on my 2600K so I have 8 threads I give 7 to the SMP and one to the GPU like this:
bills_1.jpg

So you need to create individual rules, in my case one for the SMP app giving it all but one core/thread:
bills_2.jpg

And one rule for the GPU app, in this case the FAH gpu app giving it just one core/thread.
bills_3.jpg

When I said seti advanced client I meant the lunatics client :) so if you had lunatics gpu client running you would give it one core/thread and create a rule for it e.g.:
bills_4.jpg

Notice how all the rules are on the "Minimised window or hidden process" tab.

Soldato
Brilliant i have a work unit due to finish in half hour so am going to wait untill its done before i have another go.
Yeah when you first install it its in french it was only by chance i spotted the english option while haveing a good look around :)
That should help a lot because my completion times on gpu tasks were 30 minutes plus and only around 20-25% of the gpus were being used even though all other settings were correct it must have been fighting for the cpu time.
Thanks very much for those pictures and your input sah now i have no excuse not to fold ..... am itching to see what this work unit gets me as i know i have allready done my 10 to get bonuses :D
Cheers my sanity thanks you and everyone elses input too thanks peeps :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Blimey, my PPD has suddenly shot upwards :D

Looks like there is a new WU about, 8046 that seems to be giving disproportionately high credit and my i7 2600K is eating quite a few :)

Associate
Hi guys, managed to upgrade my PC and now instead of folding on my 6850, l will be now folding on my i5-3570K. I won't be overclocking yet since l am waiting for a new cooler.

I am running the smp and l have the program set on "advanced". Anything else l need to do?

Soldato
Did not see the credit i was expecting so took another look at the destructions and realised i had not set it up correctly :o
At least now it is showing ppd roughly 28000 so am hoping there will be bonus on top of that, can i be included on the single pc league this week please Mr Dekez sah ta muchly :)

Back
Top Bottom